Microsoft to ditch its "Metro UI" in Windows Phone 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHHSMichael

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
No, it works too well with touch, is easily recognisable, and theyve spent the last couple of years convincing everyone that it works, and getting everyone familiar with it. It would be dumb beyond all comprehension to can it just as wp is starting to gain momentum market share wise...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Such a trashy rumor. I'm not even going to click on the link. If you can stand it, surf through TechnoBuffalo's stuff. They're wrong more times than they're right.

Pure click bait.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it'll happen simply because they're calling it WP9, I thought it was universally agreed that it's called 8.1?

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it. WP8's UI is very easy to use. I'm sure there will be some changes for the next version but I don't think they'll switch to a grid of icons!

Maybe what the rumormonger heard was something like you hear from automobile companies when describing model updates, e.g. "the All New 2014 Ford Explorer".

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Saw this on Twitter from BGR earlier. Was relieved when their "source" was Elder Murtazin. Just like a broken clock, even he is probably right twice a day. And just like the clock, I'm not paying it any attention because of those fleeting occurrences.

Also, bonus ignore points when you realize a new CEO might make that decision...but they don't have one yet.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Agree with everyone else, there's no way MS would spend all this time creating this UI almost everywhere only to scrap it. Not even going to waste bandwidth clicking on it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
in other news, Apple is rumored to drop iOS 7's new UI and reverting to something more akin to its Macintosh roots.

and a rumor is afoot that Google is going to spin off Google Drive as its own company, sell Gmail to General Motors, and focus solely on search, using technology licensed from Bing.

Dell has announced that computers "were just a distraction" and will focus its efforts producing affordable Android tablets. Micheal Dell has declined to comment.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
If the rumors are regularly baseless and without any real source? Yes. By reporting it, they add legitimacy. It's the same reason it's dumb that we now have a subsection for the "Surface Phone/Xbox Phone."

ru?mor (r
oomacr.gif
prime.gif
m
schwa.gif
r)n.1. A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
2. Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

tr.v. ru?mored, ru?mor?ing, ru?mors To spread or tell by rumor.

I didn't read the article, but they mearly reported there was a rumor. They aren't claiming any hard facts. For them to be "wrong" the rumor must have never once existed prior to this article.

Get what I'm saying? ;)

If blogs never reported rumors, tech news would be boring as hell and, frankly, there wouldn't be nearly as many articles.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Some rumors are that far away from even being anywhere near the truth, that I just have to laugh, and this is one of them.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
in other news, Apple is rumored to drop iOS 7's new UI and reverting to something more akin to its Macintosh roots.

and a rumor is afoot that Google is going to spin off Google Drive as its own company, sell Gmail to General Motors, and focus solely on search, using technology licensed from Bing.

Dell has announced that computers "were just a distraction" and will focus its efforts producing affordable Android tablets. Micheal Dell has declined to comment.

The sad part is that after their change from ios 6 to ios 7, I could probably believe the first story

Last edited:

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I hope they don't switch away from the current metro UI, but wouldn't be surprised. The best thing, to me and most I've talked to, about WP is it's unique look.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the crap rumor replies.
For me the start screen is the trademark feature of the Windows Phone.

The Metro UI is the cleanest easiest to see and use onscreen face of all three mobile interface offerings.
Doing away with it would kill the WP platform in short order.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what the basis of a rumor like this could be? Metro was introduced in earnest with the release of Windows Phone 7 in 2010, largely designed as a result of all of the basic UI downfalls and shortcomings in Android and iPhone. Obviously, you'd have to think that experts at Apple, Google and Microsoft have been putting some serious thought into the idea of user experience on a smallish touchscreen interface. It is possible that the next major update to Windows Phone could show off a new version of the user interface, but I doubt that there is a serious and complete change of user interface coming in merely months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss