Exclamation mark appeared on phone

Oranges123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
What does this sign mean when it appears?

I was using the phone today and suddenly this big white exclamation mark appears similar to how you get the spinning cogs. Phone was stuck there for a few minutes unresponsive but then it just reset after a bit and came back on.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
It likely means there was a problem of some sort. But your auto reset seems to have resolved the issue.

If the the exclamation mark returns and and phone is unresponsive, then a soft reset is necessary to return to normal as stated in this MS KB2749480 article
Your Windows Phone 8 doesn't work or respond as expected

If your phone is unresponsive, it might display a big exclamation mark, a combination of a gear and lightning bolt, your phone manufacturer's logo, or a pair of gears:
2899952.png

If your screen displays any of these images, try this: Press and hold both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. This should get your phone to reboot and respond properly again.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It likely means there was a problem of some sort. But your auto reset seems to have resolved the issue.

If the the exclamation mark returns and and phone is unresponsive, then a soft reset is necessary to return to normal as stated in this MS KB2749480 article
Your Windows Phone 8 doesn't work or respond as expected

If your phone is unresponsive, it might display a big exclamation mark, a combination of a gear and lightning bolt, your phone manufacturer's logo, or a pair of gears:
http://support.microsoft.com/Library/Images/2899952.png
If your screen displays any of these images, try this: Press and hold both the volume down button and the power key for 10 seconds. This should get your phone to reboot and respond properly again.

I never heard of this exclamation mark! Thanks for helping him!

Oranges123

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thanks. Wonder what caused it, first time it appeared and didn't know what had happened. Hope it doesn't happen again as an exclamation makes it feel like it was a serious issue.

Troy Osborn

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much my phone got a little "damp" today at work and was working fine till the volume down button stuck so i turned it off hoping to reset turned it back on to exclamation mark and no matter what i did it wouldnt go away but you guys are my saviors today and it works like a champ again just like a Windows Phone should (Lumia 822)

CostanzaC

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
mine is doing the asme exact thing now...kept going onto vibracall and I shut it off hoping it would reset...the exclamation mark has been alternating to the nokia logo for the past 20 min but nothing is happening. can I try anything else?

Devirupam

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
my phone's screen showing (!) sign. I have done what is said. it worked. phone is on now. but power button & volume key is not working. clicking on power button showing Windows Feedback app. volume key stuck on 0. any solution?? (lumia 650)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb