Notification Center, VPN, Separate Volume Control..

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Sweet can't wait, now we just need Swype support and I'll never look at Android again.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
File manager, anyone?
Naa, would use up even more space for such a program that isn't useful to begin with. :) Please think of the 520 series with its lack of hard drive room (if we did get a file viewer, it would be a separate app, which means the OS would take up more).

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My main concern about that image (if it's real, which it might very well not be) is that the 4 setting icons appear to be only shortcuts, since it says something about "access settings". It should be a direct toggle, otherwise we end up with the same situation where you have to leave the app you're using in order to, for example, turn off auto rotate. I'll be very disappointed if it's just shortcuts to access the settings rather than quick toggles, like we have with the volume control.

Your main concern isnt justified, just look at the (vibrate/ Vibrate+ring) (backward, play, forward) they are all made the same way, although weirdly they are all squares rather than circles.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Windows button as notification light, Pull down notification center and Swype keyboard are musts. Also Cortana along with Bing Services aka functional (not NSA pervasive like Google Now) assistant would be awesome. Get me a Swype keyboard though and I would really never go back to TiRED OS and Android!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Naa, would use up even more space for such a program that isn't useful to begin with. :) Please think of the 520 series with its lack of hard drive room (if we did get a file viewer, it would be a separate app, which means the OS would take up more).

Just to finish this off and hopefully not start another file manager thread. It's likely that Skydrive will be deeply integrated into the phone and will act like a file manager to some extent. Probably won't satisfy everyone but it should make the majority who are complaining of this happy.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the update. Just annoyed it's taken so long. I'm happy for them to 'fix' the things that need fixing and to bring in features that are needed but by the time I get WP8.1 my phone will be 1 1/2 years old. Not overly happy about that but I'm trying to be understanding. It better be worth the wait.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Coming in Window 8.1, being tested right now. According to their sources. Windows Phone 8.1 includes notification center and Siri-like personal assistant | The Verge

View attachment 52240
a29d98e5.gif

View attachment 52238

Last edited:

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping the notification center would be unique and be accessed somehow other than a swipe from the top. But I guess MS must've chose this so it's familiar to people coming from other platforms. At the very least I hope they do the animation correctly: instead of the notification center covering the current screen (the way it does on Android/iOS) it should push the current screen down and out of the way (like the animation of swiping from the start screen to the app list). At least this way it'll seem a bit unique.

Hopefully it will push the tiles off screen like this...

wp8.1 on lumia920 - YouTube

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see gaps being filled in. Should make various sites (hi Verge!) hatred for WP stand out more in their reviews: "...and WP is feature short. Unlike Android, it just doesn't come with battery sucking wakelocks of doom, and integrated GoogleSpy technology. This makes it unsuitable for all but the most simplistic 8 year olds to use..."

I do wish they had a notification center to the *left* of the start screen though (apps to right, notifications left, quick toggles from top, perhaps?).

Hire me for stealth-CEO MS! (The public CEO should be a bikini model)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Windows button as notification light, Pull down notification center and Swype keyboard are musts. Also Cortana along with Bing Services aka functional (not NSA pervasive like Google Now) assistant would be awesome. Get me a Swype keyboard though and I would really never go back to TiRED OS and Android!

With Nokia's Glance screen the need for the Windows button as a notification light is not as important as it once was. Obviously Nokia isn't the only WP player but I wonder if things like Glance will be made available to all OEM's after the Microsoft purchase? Glance is awesome, but I'd like to see it go to the next level like what Moto is doing with their Moto X.

Agree with you 100% on everything else. I need another keyboard choice. The WP keyboard is dang good, but I'm a Swype type guy.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I doubt WP will get third party keyboards. Like Apple, MS is too freaked out about security breaches for that. Not that I even need one, the words are usually fairly well predicted, I rarely have to type more than 1-5 letters for each word.

Joshua Melvin

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
MS must speed up live tiles times to update it's too annoying when you see a battery app like insider on live tile that not be updated until 30 minutes or more

Sent from my LUMIA 520 using Tapatalk

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
MS must speed up live tiles times to update it's too annoying when you see a battery app like insider on live tile that not be updated until 30 minutes or more

I heard a rumour that they are speeding up the live tile update time. But since they are trying to make it like Windows RT 8.1 I'm sure they'll that

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

honestly it doesn't bother me. In practice it's more like 20 minutes, and if you haven't been using your phone, then you haven't been subjecting it to serious drain, and the number a battery live tile displays is usually within 0-3% of the actual value. If the tile says 68% but it's actually 65%, who cares? Perfect accuracy is not required; all you really need to know is, "am I closer to 60% or 70%?"

Admittedly if you've been playing a game or something, you could drop 30% in 20 minutes and the tile is useless, but it's a simple process of tapping the tile to get an updated value in the app. I KNOW that I have to check the app and not the tile after gaming, so it's not like im ever mislead by the tile: It's easy to know when it's wrong.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
honestly it doesn't bother me. In practice it's more like 20 minutes, and if you haven't been using your phone, then you haven't been subjecting it to serious drain, and the number a battery live tile displays is usually within 0-3% of the actual value. If the tile says 68% but it's actually 65%, who cares? Perfect accuracy is not required; all you really need to know is, "am I closer to 60% or 70%?"

Admittedly if you've been playing a game or something, you could drop 30% in 20 minutes and the tile is useless, but it's a simple process of tapping the tile to get an updated value in the app. I KNOW that I have to check the app and not the tile after gaming, so it's not like im ever mislead by the tile: It's easy to know when it's wrong.

...the whole point of a live tile is that you don't have to click on it to get an updated value. Might as well have iOS style icons. But you're right, when the phone is on standby, the value usually isn't off by more than a couple percent.

Still, I just hope the live tiles are more dynamic. Like Windows 8, maybe they can cycle through a bunch of stories, or maybe you can swipe the tile to update it. I'm sure they'll come up with something cool

Kubiubo

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty excited for Cortana, I do think she has the ability to be a game changer in the world of personal assistants. However, I don't think her impact will happen right away, Siri is simply too big of a player at the moment and Google Now has the upper hand of being voice activated (at least on the Moto X.)

I do hope that Cortana is voice activated. It's much easier to say 'Cortana, turn on an alarm for 8am' from wherever the phone is, opposed to holding the Winkey and then saying the voice command. I'd be fine if you hold the button on older devices, but new devices like Goldfinger and Moneypenny should definitely have her 'always on' and ready to listen at moment's notice.

Plus, the name is just damn cool.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos