Why apps need 1GB RAM in WP when it can run on 512MB on other OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
As we know Subway Surfer arrives on WP but it need 1GB RAM (for now).
first was Temble Run, now Subway Surfer (I am only picking the popular ones here)

Is less numbers of apps and late coming apps on WP isn't enough that now this problem start.
I mean is their some kind of problem with WP or what.

This problem in WP seriously pissing me off.:angry:
Aren't you guys thought that we adopt WP too early when it is pre-mature and having features and apps problem? :unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat:

Boykingrei

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Happens the same with the DUNGEON HUNTER 4. I can?t play it in my nokia lumia 520 with 512MB RAM but my friend can with his Lg Maximo l7 also with 512MB RAM. :unhappysweat:

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
First was Temple Run, yeah, but after a while, the developers had time to optimize it and doesn't Temple Run run on 512MB devices now?

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Temple Run works for WP8 phones with 1GB and 512MB of RAM.

The requirements to run apps and games on 512MB phones, depends more in the developer than the OS itself. Since Android is more popular with more 512MB phones in the market, the devs see this as incentive to optimize the app to run on low ram devices... but naturally some apps and specially some complex games can't run on 512MB devices, blame the hardware limitations.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Temple Run works for WP8 phones with 1GB and 512MB of RAM.

The requirements to run apps and games on 512MB phones, depends more in the developer than the OS itself. Since Android is more popular with more 512MB phones in the market, the devs see this as incentive to optimize the app to run on low ram devices... but naturally some apps and specially some complex games can't run on 512MB devices, blame the hardware limitations.

aren't you forgetting something here. I mean isn't this applied with WP too.
L520 is most successful WP device and 512MB devices are responsible for WP growth more than 1GB devices. If you see Window phone sales then you see 512MB Ram devices sales more than 1GB RAM devices in WP too.

and I am not talking about heavy game here. This is simple games which runs on 512MB RAM in Android devices then why not on WP. As far as I know Android doesn't have this problem not atleast with these games. I think their is problem in WP itself.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
First was Temple Run, yeah, but after a while, the developers had time to optimize it and doesn't Temple Run run on 512MB devices now?

That's the whole point here. Why it take a while(which is few months) ?
I mean what is wrong with WP here that devs need more time to launch these simple games for 512MB RAM devices. Temple Runs easily runs even on 256RAM in iOS but when it comes on WP it needed atleast 1GB RAM and after few months it came for 512MB RAM devices.
Clearly their is something wrong with WP here.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
As we know Subway Surfer arrives on WP but it need 1GB RAM (for now).
first was Temble Run, now Subway Surfer (I am only picking the popular ones here)

Is less numbers of apps and late coming apps on WP isn't enough that now this problem start.
I mean is their some kind of problem with WP or what.

This problem in WP seriously pissing me off.:angry:
Aren't you guys thought that we adopt WP too early when it is pre-mature and having features and apps problem? :unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat:

People paying more for a device should get something more then people buying a budget device...otherwise why would anyone buy an expensive wp ?

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
People paying more for a device should get something more then people buying a budget device...otherwise why would anyone buy an expensive wp ?

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

wtf....
First check who is developing this app. It's not Nokia. HTC, Samsung or MS.
It's third party who want to reach to mass not premium segment.

I can understand this if that app is paid but it's free.
So, these apps have nothing to do with premium or budget phone.
If that was the case then they also release this app/game for Android(only 1GB RAM Devices) too.

Your sense doesn't make sense here not atleast for these types of apps.

Last edited:

Boggy79

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Even the most basic understanding of computing will answer the question for you. A little programming knowledge will make things clearer.

You are comparing three different Operating Systems which have variences in how they do even the most miniscule tasks. They all have differing overheads that have to keep running in the background.
I haven't worked on any of the three but I can promise that one task in iOS will take a couple of lines of code and will run fast with minimal ram usage. The same task on Android or WP will take many more lines or more ram. The same can be said the other way with WP being more efficient on some tasks than the other two.

Add to that the fact that many companies have got years of experience with creating apps for iOS and Android, understanding the hardware/software tricks to optimise the code, it's easy to see why the ram restriction can happen.

In time devs will learn how to optimise WP better. For the moment they are happy to release a version for 1gb and then work on optimisation. Means they get sales from when the 1gb is out, chance to build word of mouth and generate more sales.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
That's the whole point here. Why it take a while(which is few months) ?
I mean what is wrong with WP here that devs need more time to launch these simple games for 512MB RAM devices. Temple Runs easily runs even on 256RAM in iOS but when it comes on WP it needed atleast 1GB RAM and after few months it came for 512MB RAM devices.
Clearly their is something wrong with WP here.

Or may be the developers just want to release the game ASAP to get the overall reaction then decide to optimize it and fix its bugs? The SS is kinda full of social bugs right now :) Even in game performance can be laggy at some points.

So, again, I'd point that issue and responsibility to developers themselves :) For not seriously look at WP8 platform and just stand there wait for result to decide to keep going or not.
You too, knew the fact that supporting another platform can be very expensive.

And that's just my opinion :)

Last edited:

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Even the most basic understanding of computing will answer the question for you. A little programming knowledge will make things clearer.

You are comparing three different Operating Systems which have variences in how they do even the most miniscule tasks. They all have differing overheads that have to keep running in the background.
I haven't worked on any of the three but I can promise that one task in iOS will take a couple of lines of code and will run fast with minimal ram usage. The same task on Android or WP will take many more lines or more ram. The same can be said the other way with WP being more efficient on some tasks than the other two.

Add to that the fact that many companies have got years of experience with creating apps for iOS and Android, understanding the hardware/software tricks to optimise the code, it's easy to see why the ram restriction can happen.

In time devs will learn how to optimise WP better. For the moment they are happy to release a version for 1gb and then work on optimisation. Means they get sales from when the 1gb is out, chance to build word of mouth and generate more sales.

That means we adopt WP too early because not only we are having features problem but now apps problem too.
Iook like I choose a wrong OS here.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
That means we adopt WP too early because not only we are having features problem but now apps problem too.

Yeah, seem like it :) Good bye and see you later :)

Me, on the other hand, don't want to sacrifice a whole OS because of some games that I even don't play more than 5' per day :) The rest of the OS just serves me better than any other OSes.

P.S: but... shouldn't you know about that before deploying to WP?

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

If people didn't adopt WP, developers would have no incentive to work on WP or become familiar with WP. If you care about app selection and compatibility that much, you should get a 1GB device if possible.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
When I run my WP8 program in the WVGA/512MB emulator I get the following memory stats:

Available Memory: 150 MB
Current Usage: 48 MB

When I run my WP8 app in the WVGA/1GB emulator I get the following stats:

Available Memory: 300 MB
Current Usage: 52 MB

This is with several MB of memory already in use for my data structures and various Direct3D textures (fullscreen render target, iconsheets, etc.), along with whatever memory WP8 uses for C# and XAML. So, once a D3D WP8 app is loaded and has allocated all of its basic structures, it has around 100 MB of memory to work with on a 512 MB WP8 phone.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've said this multiple times, I'll say it again

It all depends on the game engine that the game is using. Some game engines optimize great for devices with little RAM, but some aren't and use up quite some RAM.
It seems likely that the game engine that most games like Subway Surfers are using doesn't have a WP version, which forces them to use an alternative.
The alternative is the one that optimizes the game poorly for 512MB devices. Just be happy that at least the game is in the Store and it won't be long before devices with 512MB RAM will receive it. Be grateful. I've never seen so much ignorance in this forum at all. Be lucky that you have the game, and they confirmed that they're working on a 512MB version.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, seem like it :) Good bye and see you later :)

Me, on the other hand, don't want to sacrifice a whole OS because of some games that I even don't play more than 5' per day :) The rest of the OS just serves me better than any other OSes.

P.S: but... shouldn't you know about that before deploying to WP?

Everyone has their own priority.
When I bought WP phone , I thought MS will add features and solve bugs problem soon but instead they are acting very slow.(I am still facing duplicate File-Problem, playlist bug etc from the day I bought WP phone)
I also have some expectation that atleast the popular apps will come soon on WP but again disappointment. and those who arrive are the paid one(like my Fav Angry Birds(all version),cut the rope etc)
Now I started thinking that apps like VLC, Opera Mini(which are coming soon as per rumor) might have same problem like either it will be paid or if not may these apps also require 1GB RAM. Who knows anything can happen on WP.

I put to much faith with MS and WP while purchasing Window Phone,,...that's the biggest mistake I had done

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Just think of it like this. People with 1GB devices are getting beta versions of these games and once they finish optimizing them to work for 512MB devices, it's out of beta. =) I know it's a little frustrating to see it's available, but not for you just yet, but most of the apps/games that have come out only for 1GB devices recently have all been updated really quickly to work on 512MB devices so it shouldn't be long. Joe Belfiore even said it was on the way in his tweet about this game.

Acryion

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Why do apps need initially 1 GB ram?

Well, developers first make the apps available on WP for 1 GB devices because they don't necessarily bother optimising them. They know they will just run.

After that they will be optimising it. You see, on Android everything can mostly run. That means both fluidly and in slideshows. WP does NOT allow that. If something will run on WP, then that will run flawlessly.

Also, GDR3 lessened app requirements for 512 MB devices a bit. Most developers WILL optimise their apps eventually. Unfortunately, some games just won't be able to run fluidly on 512 MB no matter what, so then the developers won't make the apps available at all.

That is the basic difference between Android and WP/iOS. Everything runs on Android, no matter how poorly. WP/iOS (more WP than iOS) run everything with grace. That's a big + on my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb