Anyone else feel like it's time for Skype to embrace larger-scale social networking?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The idea is LIVE on UserVoice! Help me make this idea into a reality!
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...-skype-embrace-larger-scale-social-networking

The presence of the So.cl app on the Windows Store almost universally sent everyone into "meh" status. I tried it out and got that awkward feeling of being stuck in a room with someone where we're mutually forced into dysfunctional small talk. I guess So.cl is getting better... but the fact that it exists makes me wonder if Microsoft realizes what they're sleeping on or if they know what they're doing.

They have Skype... and Skype still has more registered, active users than another other IM/VoIP service... but it's declining because it's not keeping up with the times. Instead of letting services like iMessage and Google Hangouts eventually surpass Skype, they should update Skype with more modernized social networking features.

Skype already has status updates... so why not create a "news feed" just for people to view and comment on those status updates... and even revise it so that the same file/pictures/video sharing Skype already has can be posted on that news feed.

Then they could even revise Skype for the one thing it's always been the worst at: networking for meeting new people. Where services like Facebook and Google+ help you meet people, Skype pretty much puts you in a position where you have to meet people elsewhere and ask them if they have a Skype account. Back when it was all about AOL Instant Messenger, I loved the experience of just being able to hop into a random chat room and get to meeting people... it's how my friend list exploded and I've never felt like multi-user chat rooms were made that accessible on Skype.

I envision a day when I can open my Skype app, swipe to see all my friends' status updates, swipe again to see active chat rooms (or start a new chat room), see friend suggestions below my friends... and see Skype serve as the "new medium" for people who feel like they're tired of Facebook... just like Facebook took over when MySpace went to craps.

Drop So.cl... modernize Skype instead.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I like your post. Just learning what Skype is and what it can do for me. I'm interested in seeing if anyone else post here with similar or more detailed suggestions.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I like it. Post it on UserVoice, the only way that this idea can get recognized. I like this idea though, and I think this should be considered by Microsoft as a viable option for WP8.1.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of pivoting Skype to a social networking play. Every time I see So.cl mentioned I feel a little embarrassed for Microsoft. In general they need to do something with Skype- that team has been left alone to do whatever they're doing for far too long.

I wonder if the move to Azure will allow something; perhaps we'll hear good Skype news at Build.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
The presence of the So.cl app on the Windows Store almost universally sent everyone into "meh" status. I tried it out and got that awkward feeling of being stuck in a room with someone where we're mutually forced into dysfunctional small talk. I guess So.cl is getting better... but the fact that it exists makes me wonder if Microsoft realizes what they're sleeping on or if they know what they're doing.

They have Skype... and Skype still has more registered, active users than another other IM/VoIP service... but it's declining because it's not keeping up with the times. Instead of letting services like iMessage and Google Hangouts eventually surpass Skype, they should update Skype with more modernized social networking features.

Skype already has status updates... so why not create a "news feed" just for people to view and comment on those status updates... and even revise it so that the same file/pictures/video sharing Skype already has can be posted on that news feed.

Then they could even revise Skype for the one thing it's always been the worst at: networking for meeting new people. Where services like Facebook and Google+ help you meet people, Skype pretty much puts you in a position where you have to meet people elsewhere and ask them if they have a Skype account. Back when it was all about AOL Instant Messenger, I loved the experience of just being able to hop into a random chat room and get to meeting people... it's how my friend list exploded and I've never felt like multi-user chat rooms were made that accessible on Skype.

I envision a day when I can open my Skype app, swipe to see all my friends' status updates, swipe again to see active chat rooms (or start a new chat room), see friend suggestions below my friends... and see Skype serve as the "new medium" for people who feel like they're tired of Facebook... just like Facebook took over when MySpace went to craps.

Drop So.cl... modernize Skype instead.

Great idea. MS needs to do something. Even Google+ is catching on and getting better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I prefer Skype to remain a simple VoIP and messaging client. Bloating it up with other features will just make it slower and more annoying to use. We already have Facebook and Google+ for social networking.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Great to see so many people support this idea! Following the suggestion, I will look into UserVoice because I do believe this could make Skype branch out!
Bloating it up with other features will just make it slower and more annoying to use.
That's a rather wild assumption. New features don't necessarily mean an application will run slower, or that the new features would even be obtrusive (especially with my idea that simply adds one tab to a system that already incorporates tabs). The skill of a team plays a part in determining whether implemented features work well or ultimately drag a service down, and I'm sure we could sit here all day discussing hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of applications that weren't "made slower" because they had new features added.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So.cl is just a research project. It exists for the sole reason of research. It isn't meant to be a complete social network.

As for Skype...

All of the things you mentioned are present in Facebook. And guess what service Facebook uses for their video chat?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I believe you have to link it.

But yes, they've had video chat for a few months now.

Well, I didn't know that.
BTW, I don't recommend linking accounts. It leaks information outside its original domain by allowing companies to link up the data they have about you. If there's someone on Facebook who you want to video chat with, it's better to just swap Skype names with them (using a Facebook message, if you like) and keep the two services separate.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Bumping a hell of an old topic here, but I finally decided to create something on UserVoice for this.

Make Skype Embrace Larger-Scale Social Networking – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

I do realize some purists were against this (and you'll notice I modified the recommendation so that it would be as unobtrusive as possible if implemented), but I feel there were enough people who said the idea was awesome to at least try to see if I can make a difference in getting this to happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz