I want THIS on my Windows Phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM02

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll take the qt in the me tile.

I wouldn't mind different colored backgrounds though. Optional of course. Like, I'd totally use the gray-diant background they use in the Games hub, for my start screen. With the emerald theme color. It'd look sweet.
Photo backgrounds would look super tacky.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Screen real estate. How in the world would you be able to tell what in the world the image was, with only seeing about 1/8" strips of the image between tiles. This won't happen.

To be honest, you can't really make out a wallpaper without knowing it beforehand when it's covered by a grid of icons on other platforms either. It's an aesthetic preference, I use fairly simple portraits as my desktop wallpaper but I'd never use a solid colour. It's less about being able to stare at the wallpaper in its entirety and more about having a background that suits you or you find pleasing. Giving choice to the user is nice.

I don't think it would really fit in considering how much of Windows Phone consists of a stark black background with white text (or vice versa with the light theme). But I wouldn't rule it out, custom start screen backgrounds weren't in Windows 8.0 either.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, I think you are overestimating how much work it would take to change background.png
it would literally take a half hour, max. Plus there is an obvious demand for the feature, so it is well worth that half hour.

Bet on it happening.

There's the coding, the implementation of a UI to make changes, the testing.... Only a fool believes all that can happen in a half an hour. That's not to mention the time spent creating examples, meetings to get approval, and more. Anyone who thinks ANY change to an OS is quick is only fooling himself.

There will not be background images to the start screen.

Last edited:

rahul.sharma

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
This is coming. We just need to have a bit patience....once RT and WP merges, you will have PC with calling capabilities in your pocket and all Windows goodies will come along.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Shut up!!! Shut up!!! I don't get what all this arguing is about, it is a great feature. I mean we can have a background image to a GLANCE screen but having a background image for a HOME screen is a crime? It looks beautiful and to those saying you can't see it then how did you know it was there? First if you look closer the tiles are slightly transparent, and they have more space in between them. And if you still don't like it keep your boring black or white theme and keep quiet. Why do you all just want boring lame backgrounds? Every other OS has the option to change your background and if you don't like backgrounds you can make it a solid color. And how can a background be distracting? "I am gonna scroll down to my games but ,oh no, I see part of my leaf background and it is so distracting!" but back to being serious if you don't like this idea put up(some type of compromise) it shut up!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Shut up!!! Shut up!!! I don't get what all this arguing is about, it is a great feature. I mean we can have a background image to a GLANCE screen but having a background image for a HOME screen is a crime? It looks beautiful and to those saying you can't see it then how did you know it was there? First if you look closer the tiles are slightly transparent, and they have more space in between them. And if you still don't like it keep your boring black or white theme and keep quiet. Why do you all just want boring lame backgrounds? Every other OS has the option to change your background and if you don't like backgrounds you can make it a solid color. And how can a background be distracting? "I am gonna scroll down to my games but ,oh no, I see part of my leaf background and it is so distracting!" but back to being serious if you don't like this idea put up(some type of compromise) it shut up!

umm, the Glance screen (like the lock screen) is mostly white space. Only 10% of the image is covered up by content. The Start Screen is completely the opposite. When we say we can't see it, we don't mean we have no idea it's there, we mean that the subject matter in the image is barely visible or discernable. Therefore, absolutely pointless.

A background image adds clutter to the screen. Period. The entire philosophy of Windows Phone / Metro is minimalism. Subway signage being a key inspiration. When you add background images to anything, you are adding another layer of visuals the eye has to separate from other items. This adds stress to the eye when trying to find what its looking for. Its even worse off you have an image based live tile that would then be on a background image as well. This isn't myth, it's usability.

We are arguing against it because we recognize and value the design philosophy of Metro. We respect it's principles and don't want it's integrity ruined by a bunch of whiney users who think their Ferrari should be able to go off roading.

I can't even count the number of Android users that have a busy background image to the point you can't see or read the app icons on the screen. Microsoft should not allow users to ruin Windows Phone the same way. Sometimes you need to keep the knife away from the user so they don't cut themselves.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I can't see Microsoft going for this. The whole system is about clean and elegant, backgrounds on Windows Phone just make it look cluttered and messy, like those people whos PC's have Shortcuts splattered all over the Desktop.

They might add themes, they might add some of the simple backdrops from Windows 8 (like the concentric circles one) but they should probably stop at that. Sometimes they have to save Users from themselves.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the problem here. I think it would be an awesome feature, and surely it would be an optional feature. There for those who want it, off for those who don't. No big deal. I don't think it makes the start screen cluttered, I think it makes it more personal which is another philosophy for WP. I don't care if I can't see most of the picture, I'd rather have a picture than a color. Plus, it doesn't have to be a picture with a subject. It can just be a cool background design to add style to your home screen.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
umm, the Glance screen (like the lock screen) is mostly white space. Only 10% of the image is covered up by content. The Start Screen is completely the opposite. When we say we can't see it, we don't mean we have no idea it's there, we mean that the subject matter in the image is barely visible or discernable. Therefore, absolutely pointless.

A background image adds clutter to the screen. Period. The entire philosophy of Windows Phone / Metro is minimalism. Subway signage being a key inspiration. When you add background images to anything, you are adding another layer of visuals the eye has to separate from other items. This adds stress to the eye when trying to find what its looking for. Its even worse off you have an image based live tile that would then be on a background image as well. This isn't myth, it's usability.

We are arguing against it because we recognize and value the design philosophy of Metro. We respect it's principles and don't want it's integrity ruined by a bunch of whiney users who think their Ferrari should be able to go off roading.

I can't even count the number of Android users that have a busy background image to the point you can't see or read the app icons on the screen. Microsoft should not allow users to ruin Windows Phone the same way. Sometimes you need to keep the knife away from the user so they don't cut themselves.

That's what I don't like, I think with MY phone they should make it so I can do what I want to do. And a bunch of whiny users?! I simply was agreeing with the original poster, but people like you decided to go all physiological on us by saying how pointless this is. If your eyes are stressed by a background image their is literally no reason you should have a smartphone. Look how perfectly windows 8 has managed to have a background image and live tiles without causing my eyes stress. This site is already bias with mostly people who truly hate all features of Android and iOS, so don't make it seem like people wanting this option is minority, I honestly think the OP should add a poll. But even if you don't like this feature like many other features you can turn it off! I absolutely find glance useless because it seems quite lazy to me, and because I find any reason to pull out my phone and show off. But guess what I just keep it off!! If glance can get a background why can't the home screen. They can easily make this feature be turned off in the theme it can have an option that says have background and if yes have options to edit the background image and if no have options to make a background color instead. I just wish that people wouldn't complain about this feature so people who want thus feature can get it. Just like how I don't use certain apps but when an app I don't use comes from iOS or Android I download it anyway to show my support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb