Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Video(Dec 29 updates)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
IMO, the devs should be less afraid of this than the users, but many of those users who will do this really don't know as much about their phones and how they work as they think they do, so they won't know enough to be afraid of it. Right now apps are sandboxed. I use Password Padlock to store many of my passwords. But if I jailbreak my phone, how do I know that this information is still sandboxed? What's to keep a less than moral developer from writing an app that takes advantage of the unlocked nature of my phone? An app that looks like a fun game, for instance, but an app whose real mission is to root out all of the personal information in my phone.

Yes, there are good things that can come from hackers and jailbreaks, but sometimes those good things can be used to bring about bad things.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920 Jailbreaking Coming Soon

Pirating softwares have some positive impacts as well. U know why android got popular? its only because of pirated softwares. I never heard any of my friends/relatives bought apps from play store but they just download paid apps freely. So I really hope we can jailbreak Wp soon :)

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk

I would highly advise against linking to pirated software on these forums or even telling people how to get pirated software.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
IMO, the devs should be less afraid of this than the users, but many of those users who will do this really don't know as much about their phones and how they work as they think they do, so they won't know enough to be afraid of it. Right now apps are sandboxed. I use Password Padlock to store many of my passwords. But if I jailbreak my phone, how do I know that this information is still sandboxed? What's to keep a less than moral developer from writing an app that takes advantage of the unlocked nature of my phone? An app that looks like a fun game, for instance, but an app whose real mission is to root out all of the personal information in my phone.

Yes, there are good things that can come from hackers and jailbreaks, but sometimes those good things can be used to bring about bad things.

It all depends on how the "jailbreak" is delivered. For example, on WP7.X, you really had 3 options.

1. Dev unlock= side load apps, limited amount per MS, no system access
2. Interop unlock = system access but, not to the file system, allowed unsigned apps allowing for custom settings.
3. Root access = complete file system access as well as everything else.

If you played with your WP7.X device, you would know, Dev or interop unlocked required software changes (depending on the version of WP you were on) but, if you wanted root access, you HAD to install a custom rom. So a interop unlock is what MOST people here would be more than happy with, unlimited side loading and enough access to do registry changes (allowing for Teathering, custom tile colors and 3-row tiles plus more).

You have your apps in the store, IF someone pirates these apps (and it is possible to hack WP8 apps, due to the ATIV S that you can thank), they are coded. I don't think it is possible for someone to take a retail app, pull it apart and use it to pull your data. Even IF you could do a interop unlock, these "hacked apps that you speak of, could not even access the folders where you data is, so sandboxed apps would be fine. Now if your had root access, it could open this up but, on WP7 root tools(created by Heathcliff over at XDA), it came on most custom roms, that you can select the app you want to have root access, if you did not select an app, it would be just like it is now.

So, If you root your phone and STAY with just retail apps with a few tools, your phone STILL should be safe.

At this POINT, if this hack/jailbreak is real (at this point, it's just a rumor), only thing they showed is 3 row tiles, that needs Interop unlock and if they got that far, no question, your data would be safe...

I'm waiting on the sideline for this to happen if it will, AND I will wait for the experts over at XDA to take a look to see how safe it is....

It will be interesting if it's true...but, time will tell...

Edit: If anyone is wondering (This does not teach anyone how to pirate) how people are pirating apps with the marketplace encrypted ? So everyone knows, as I did some homework on this as I was wondering. People use a Rooted phone (ATIV S in this case), they download a demo of an app, when you download a demo, it's the full app but, locked with a key to the demo. So they download the demo to a phone, unlock the key, download it back to the computer and upload it somewhere. The limits to this is, If there is no demo, someone needs to buy it to rip it....funny how pirating works...You need to go to the very questionable sites if you want more info, that I will not provide..

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
David, the only thing I'll disagree with you on is that Dev Unlock is not a jailbreak - that's there by design. I know that the apps are encrypted, but ask the NSA if encryption can be cracked. Yeah, for the overwhelming majority, this won't be within the realm of possibility, so it's not worth bothering to discuss. But I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying in the post you quoted. My point isn't about piracy. It's about security. And yes, I know there are different levels of jailbreaking, so I agree that the level of security reduction (if any) depends on what level of jailbreak is involved.

Let's assume for a moment that we're talking about root. So the jailbreaker has achieved root level access, which means that he can essentially do anything that he wants to, if he has enough knowlege to do it (and since he got root, let's assume he can). You put this jailbreak on your phone. You're now trusting all of your data, phone numbers, maybe even credit card and bank account numbers - all to that developer/hacker. If he wanted to add in code that allows him access to your information, how do you know? If he changed the OS to allow him access to app data in apps such as Password Padlock, you have no way of knowing.

It all depends on your trust of the hacker who created the jailbreak.

Now if I'm wrong, so be it - I haven't done any jailbreaking, and the last time I loaded a custom ROM it was on a Windows Mobile device - so I know that times definitely have changed. :wink:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
David, the only thing I'll disagree with you on is that Dev Unlock is not a jailbreak - that's there by design. I know that the apps are encrypted, but ask the NSA if encryption can be cracked. Yeah, for the overwhelming majority, this won't be within the realm of possibility, so it's not worth bothering to discuss. But I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying in the post you quoted. My point isn't about piracy. It's about security. And yes, I know there are different levels of jailbreaking, so I agree that the level of security reduction (if any) depends on what level of jailbreak is involved.

Let's assume for a moment that we're talking about root. So the jailbreaker has achieved root level access, which means that he can essentially do anything that he wants to, if he has enough knowlege to do it (and since he got root, let's assume he can). You put this jailbreak on your phone. You're now trusting all of your data, phone numbers, maybe even credit card and bank account numbers - all to that developer/hacker. If he wanted to add in code that allows him access to your information, how do you know? If he changed the OS to allow him access to app data in apps such as Password Padlock, you have no way of knowing.

It all depends on your trust of the hacker who created the jailbreak.

Now if I'm wrong, so be it - I haven't done any jailbreaking, and the last time I loaded a custom ROM it was on a Windows Mobile device - so I know that times definitely have changed. :wink:

In the tech side of it, a dev unlock is a sort of Jailbreak, Microsoft opens a registry key (MaxUnsignedApps I believe), and puts a number in there 3 or 10 depending on the type of account, by editing this and uppping that number to 100 or so, it enables a interop unlock as I understand.

With any hack on WP7, I waited till the experts over at XDA looked over it, there is some key names that I know and by their posts, I trust them in this area. So yes, by installing any type of Jailbreak, if it's on iOS, Android or even WP, you take some possible risks but, as long as you do your homework, you should be fairly safe. Reading details can answer a lot of these questions or issues you have with it.

If you want to be safe, avoid a root unlock and you should be fairly safe....but, do your homework...

If I find a hack/jailbreak that I find to be safe based on what I read, I normally create or add to a post that I found that info...it's a waiting game now, this is just a rumor at this point and nothing more.

Last edited:

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

On Windows Phone, it's a lot different. If you just have any kind of interop (or more capabilities) unlock, normal apps still run in their sandbox, only the ones you side load MAY have higher privileges, and here's to be a little bit careful. If there's going to be root access, I'm sure we will see something like Root Tools again - every app has no higher privileges, except when you give them manually.

kuffcakes

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
There is a thread on the xda site in the Windows Phone 8 General - Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking thread but it was closed by the moderators.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On Windows Phone, it's a lot different. If you just have any kind of interop (or more capabilities) unlock, normal apps still run in their sandbox, only the ones you side load MAY have higher privileges, and here's to be a little bit careful. If there's going to be root access, I'm sure we will see something like Root Tools again - every app has no higher privileges, except when you give them manually.
Yeah - the apps from the store are of course only going to have the standard permissions because they went through the store testing. It's the side-loaded apps that you have to watch out for, and since you jailbreak (one reason, anyway) to install side-loaded apps that may have root..... :wink:

I should add that I'm not a hacker, and it's been several years since I've flashed a phone with a non-standard image, so I do realize I'm not on top of things - just trying to warn people of some of the possibly unexpected consequences. :wink:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There is a thread on the xda site in the Windows Phone 8 General - Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking thread but it was closed by the moderators.

it was closed because it was not about a hack, it was a discussion of a POSSABLE hack. In that area, they can only talk about a active hack.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3