06-20-2014 09:32 AM
157 1234 ...
tools
    Well map aesthetics are important yes, but I just need my Lumia 1520 to have "good" voice turn-by-turn navigation when I get it. Offline maps could def come in handy, but I can't see myself in a situation with no data in the DC metro area. Having both Android and Apple for a good length of time....I found both had/have equally awesome voice turn-by-turn navigation. Looking forward to trying out Nokia HERE Maps / Drive.
    12-30-2013 07:49 PM
    I just drove from Arizona to northern California using Here navigation and it worked beautifully, much better than Google maps ever did. Google maps used to lose connection all the time. Offline maps is a god send.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk
    12-30-2013 08:37 PM
    I use them all the time and find It better than stand alone GPS a lot of the time, people won't notice small things that make a huge difference but the timing of when the voice says turn to me is a huge thing and the timing on here is dang near perfect, what I mean is some apps or stand alones will constantly keep saying every 50 Ft that your closer to turning most annoying thing ever, and then some of them won't say anything and until your right on top the street you need to turn, of course if you pay close attention to the streets this isn't huge but its very nice to not even pay attention to every street sign and here will say turn in 100 yards or "TURN NOW" and its about 30 yards away so you have. Plenty of time to turn but its not to early so as to confuse you if streets are close together. Nokia does this better than anybody. As far as others saying google has more info this is obsurd or even apple even more obsurd. Basically Nokia has the biggest data collection when it comes to streets in the world. Now when it comes to POIs yes google will beat out HERE on those because Google's POI's are actually taken from their search engine so its like searching on google.Com for a business yes google has them all, HERE does not have this luxury so it will have less in this AREA. This is where bing comes in, google still beats bing in this area, but if you search for a business from your search button it will search bing.com for a business and then it provides the address you just click use DRIVE and it maps you to the address with HERE. Bing is not the best but VERY good and comes close to google in this area but not quite. But where google is not as good as the actual street data, basically I have to use google at my work a lot on my comp and I drive all day and google consistently doesn't have the street or has it wrong where some streets don't show or they are mapped wrong. This almost never happens with HERE they have some of the most accurate maps ever. So if you use bing in combination with HERE its pretty much the best map experience you will get. Where people say apple and google is better they just are using HERE quite right, the search in here is not great at all but you don't need to use it ever, if you already know the address you don't need to search it, if you don't use bing and its all connected one click no hassle straight into navigating and its all offline and free. Google is the next best thing, apple is not even in the running their data for actual streets is so bad and laughable I can't believe it would be in a conversation they are almost starting from scratch and competing with companies like navteq who have been doing it a VERY long time and have combined data from other older companies that they bought out. Google also been at it awhile, apple dropping google maps is retarded. Now apple has great UI but who cares if no streets are ever updated and aren't accurate. To me accuracy should be above everything. And here is the most accurate its not even a debate they have their data listed so does google and HERE is quite a bit bigger than Google's data and apple isn't even close. Google does win for street view type stuff but I don't really use street view when I'm just trying to travel somewhere. There was some also complaining about the routes HERE takes and I've tested this quite a bit and you can adjust the routes it takes so I don't think this is accurate either you can pick if you prefer highway and all that just like any other GPS if you want fastest route you need to select it not sure its on by default, people don't realize these settings are there. Same with traffic you need to turn it on and I have found they have great traffic data. (Nokia owns Traffic Reports | Traffic Alerts | Road Conditions | Traffic News & Delays | here.com) so they have some of the most complete traffic data and up to date I think Nokia is updated faster than any other GPS at this point for traffic. And it will route away from traffic also so if someone saying its taking a longer weird route could be do to traffic. I don't think anybody ever complains about using Nokia voice turn by turn or anything else.
    12-30-2013 11:11 PM
    Been using Google Maps for years on Android and HERE Maps is just as good in California. It even has traffic now.
    tonybessette likes this.
    12-30-2013 11:19 PM
    In the Phoenix metros areaI have found Here Drive to be appallingly bad.
    That's weird. I too am in the Phoenix metro, and haven't had much issues with it. I did change the default route optimization from Shorter to Faster, just because I prefer shorter travel times. Try that and see if things get better.
    12-31-2013 08:25 AM
    I've seen some interesting things in this thread concerning Google Maps. Statements that have been inconsistent with MY usage. I've seen it mentioned that Google maps will time out or will not have the proper street....Never have I seen this, and I have used Google Maps since the original Droid until my recent switch to WP8 and my 928. I have traveled in urban areas and have spent much time in obscure places and Google Maps on Android has NEVER misguided or offered up a wrong street name (some time never refers to recent memory)...and I travel a fair amount. Alternatively, HERE Maps has missed the mark a number of times, and has provided grossly inaccurate travel times, while providing an inferior interface (my preference).... I still use "HERE" as I love Windows phone, but I have not found it to be an "equal" to Google Maps Navigation. It is solid, I would even say a near great mapping service, but an equal to GMAPs, I would say not.

I hope I don't get bashed for saying this, I'm just noting my experience. I have actually found WAZE to be much more accurate, while offering a lot of great services.
    ohgood and tonybessette like this.
    12-31-2013 08:40 AM
    It seems HERE maps prioritise your area, here we are crying for our offline maps to be the the same as those which you can access on internet/PC. Its now 1 year + without an update to correct this, we end up using Google maps because HERE maps are old/not being updated, i have been updating them using the Creator but they only update the maps on internet forgetting us the Lumia users.
    Another challenge we are facing is that of navigation, HERE Drive +, it says our area is not yet covered, as if it uses the internet, On HERE maps it shows you the route correctly, if touch Drive To the the hell break loose, "no navigation, Blar Blar" the one would wonder why don't they let me use what is there, maybe just give a warning that it may not be accurate, but it can't be as HERE maps accurately shows you your correct position.
    When you said "Nokia has the biggest data collection when it comes to streets in the world" i think the big chunk belongs to just a few countries at the expense of the rest of the world! Look at exclusives given to certain markets/countries on new phones again and again, are these markets the biggest consumers of their phones? i wonder!!!
    12-31-2013 09:22 AM
    HERE Maps is fine, but it can vary from location to location. Google Maps never has let me down, HERE Maps has. HERE and Bing both can stuggle to location things in the countryside outside metro areas. Locations in cities? They are both pretty good.
    12-31-2013 09:50 AM
    Here Drive + works great for me and both of the lumia's i have had get gps lock way faster than my android devices ever did. Can't comment on apple maps.
    12-31-2013 10:56 AM
    HERE Maps/Drive work great for me. As others have mentioned, however, it is annoying that it doesn't tell you what side of the street your destination is on. I hope they add features that other GPS apps have, such as lane guidance. But for being free and having offline capability, it is fantastic.

I'm also a former Android and iOS user. One thing that Google Maps has on HERE is extra data about businesses. Google Maps has business hours and such for a lot of businesses out there. I may be missing it, but HERE Maps doesn't have that. Not a deal-breaker though as HERE usually has a phone number, so I can just call and ask.

Both HERE and Google Maps are better than Apple Maps, although Apple Maps has improved exponentially since its initial release. And, if you use an iPhone, Apple Maps' integration with Siri is top notch. I'm looking forward to Windows Phone 8.1 and asking "Cortana" to give me directions.
    12-31-2013 11:02 AM
    I use them all the time and find It better than stand alone GPS a lot of the time, people won't notice small things that make a huge difference but the timing of when the voice says turn to me is a .......
    TL;DR... But paragraphs are your friend. They make reading much easier.
    tonybessette, CGA1 and Kevin Rush like this.
    12-31-2013 11:15 AM
    I've seen some interesting things in this thread concerning Google Maps. Statements that have been inconsistent with MY usage. I've seen it mentioned that Google maps will time out or will not have the proper street....Never have I seen this, and I have used Google Maps since the original Droid until my recent switch to WP8 and my 928. I have traveled in urban areas and have spent much time in obscure places and Google Maps on Android has NEVER misguided or offered up a wrong street name (some time never refers to recent memory)...and I travel a fair amount. Alternatively, HERE Maps has missed the mark a number of times, and has provided grossly inaccurate travel times, while providing an inferior interface (my preference).... I still use "HERE" as I love Windows phone, but I have not found it to be an "equal" to Google Maps Navigation. It is solid, I would even say a near great mapping service, but an equal to GMAPs, I would say not.

I hope I don't get bashed for saying this, I'm just noting my experience. I have actually found WAZE to be much more accurate, while offering a lot of great services.
    Google Maps does not work well for users that don't like Android or Google.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-31-2013 11:21 AM
    It seems HERE maps prioritise your area, here we are crying for our offline maps to be the the same as those which you can access on internet/PC. Its now 1 year + without an update to correct this, we end up using Google maps because HERE maps are old/not being updated, i have been updating them using the Creator but they only update the maps on internet forgetting us the Lumia users.
    Another challenge we are facing is that of navigation, HERE Drive +, it says our area is not yet covered, as if it uses the internet, On HERE maps it shows you the route correctly, if touch Drive To the the hell break loose, "no navigation, Blar Blar" the one would wonder why don't they let me use what is there, maybe just give a warning that it may not be accurate, but it can't be as HERE maps accurately shows you your correct position.
    When you said "Nokia has the biggest data collection when it comes to streets in the world" i think the big chunk belongs to just a few countries at the expense of the rest of the world! Look at exclusives given to certain markets/countries on new phones again and again, are these markets the biggest consumers of their phones? i wonder!!!
    Not true. Windows Phone 8 has been out for 13 months now, almost 14, and I can recall at least three updates to Here Maps that I have downloaded, and possibly more than that.

Given your statement that your area is not yet covered, I have to wonder if perhaps you think you have maps downloaded and do not? Regardless of whether this is correct or not, we have to keep in mind that no matter how good any mapping solution is for one person, for another person it may not be so good. This will be dependent upon location as well as what kind of driving a person does. Right here in this thread we have two people who live in the Phoenix area, one who has had no problems and one who has had a poor experience (generalizing, here). If one person finds everything he needs, but the other person searches for something and it isn't there, there will be a definite difference in the opinions of those two people. It no only depends on the mapping coverage of an area, but also on the specific POIs and other things that a specific person needs.

It all boils down to experience. If the experience is good for you, you're going to report a good experience and have a high level of satisfaction. If every third thing you search for isn't there, you're not going to report such a good experience. This is one reason that no single solution will ever be the one that fits everyone's needs. This goes not only for maps, but for phones, computers, and even milk shakes.

12-31-2013 11:40 AM
    I still use "HERE" as I love Windows phone, but I have not found it to be an "equal" to Google Maps Navigation. It is solid, I would even say a near great mapping service, but an equal to GMAPs, I would say not.

Nope, I won't bash you. I'd agree. At least here in the United States, Google provides a superior overall experience.
    12-31-2013 11:49 AM
    Google botched their maps interface in recent updates. Before they integrated navigation with maps, I could click the navigation icon, speak my destination and be on my way. Now its an extra 2-3 steps with an uglier interface. Here+ is straightforward and simple to use which I really like. As for accuracy, so far both have worked good. There has been several times Google maps took me to destinations that no longer existed so they are far from perfect.

And like I said before, I've lost satellite connection with google maps more than a few times with the Note.

The biggest feature Here+ needs is voice commands, I miss that from Google maps when driving.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk
    12-31-2013 01:49 PM
    Well i'm not going to bash but sorry i've had the opposite and i work in one of the biggest cities in the US and HERE is better, I also do not use google on android i use google maps on their website which should be more up to date, I drive for a living i drive over 250-300 miles a day, as a professional driver i can tell you that google is not better here maps is much better at least with accuracy, there is certain times google will have streets that HERE doesnt but they are in the wrong place, i have run about 11-13 stops a day and look up addresses for each and everyone, anytime i cant find an address on googles maps on their website i check on my phone and HERE has it 9/10 times. I can tell you this and i've noticed this as a glitch, if you try to search and address in HERE maps alot of times it doesnt come up that doesnt mean HERE doesnt have it, the search is broken. But I dont use it like this, 90% of the time i type the entire address in because i know what it is, if your just using search and nothing comes up there a chance its there you just have to hit search anyway and it will come up, its somewhat glitchy that way. As far as HERE having the biggest collection i dont think normal consumers realize how big navteq is, nokia bought them at an they were the leading provider for GPS maps in the world, navteq also bought out several smaller companies, its not a fanboy opinion its a fact they have more data worldwide, google does sometimes get data faster in the US but nokia is working in way more countries than google, so they have a bigger database to update than google. I'm not saying its better in every area like others said some areas are better with one service some with another but both are way better than apple. Its like cell service even though verizon may have bigger overal coverage, certain arears other companies have BETTER coverage. This doesnt mean verizon sucks or they have less coverage. When it comes to maps there are only a few players and navteq/nokia is the biggest. GARMIN, BMW, MERCEDES, handful of other cars, and like othesr navigon and half the 3rd party GPS apps are all powered by navteq/nokia. Google only provides or online websites very few use google for 3rd party maps, cause they tend to get their data wrong as placement of streets. Business info and POI google wins, but those are less important to me cause i need address accuracy for driving.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    12-31-2013 02:02 PM
    And like I said before, I've lost satellite connection with google maps more than a few times with the Note.
    That's all on Sammy's hardware.
    12-31-2013 02:55 PM
    Other than features, it's mostly anecdotal and probably affected a lot by where you tend to drive. All of my navy services (Here, Waze, Navigon) work great in Seattle, but I just went on a trip to Maui, and Waze was horrendous.

For features, I'd say Navigon. I've been using Waze a lot in Seattle for the traffic and it's already shown me a great route home from work that I never knew about. Here is fine, but it's a relatively basic program. I miss the guidance on the side of the street that the address is on.
    tonybessette likes this.
    12-31-2013 03:11 PM
    I think you'll be just fine with Here maps. They are continually updated, you get turn by turn voice, the maps are downloaded so no data usage and its a free service. Lots of plusses for getting where you need to go.
    tonybessette likes this.
    12-31-2013 08:01 PM
    Other than features, it's mostly anecdotal and probably affected a lot by where you tend to drive. All of my navy services (Here, Waze, Navigon) work great in Seattle, but I just went on a trip to Maui, and Waze was horrendous.

For features, I'd say Navigon. I've been using Waze a lot in Seattle for the traffic and it's already shown me a great route home from work that I never knew about. Here is fine, but it's a relatively basic program. I miss the guidance on the side of the street that the address is on.
    I have Waze but I never used it for much beyond looking for traffic snarls. I might give it shot at navi tomorrow.
    12-31-2013 08:07 PM
    I tried Waze but uninstalled it after a few days simply because of how much of a battery suck it is. My hour-long commute that started at 100% ended in the low 80s when it was on the charger the whole time. The day I wasn't charging (wireless charger had come unplugged) the phone ended up in the 50s if I remember right. Great service, but they need to work on the app and why it's such a draining experience (pun intended).
    12-31-2013 09:39 PM
    nokia maps here in australia is the best turn by turn mapping system i have used period.apple and google have a bit to go yet to match nokia maps.just my experience.
    tonybessette likes this.
    01-01-2014 12:01 AM
    I used Nokia Here Drive+ for my 18 hour drive from Ohio to Florida. I also used it whilst in Orlando and all the way back without any issues. The offline maps were awesome for a trip such as this. Also, I had no problems finding any of the sights whilst in Orlando. Straight to the front door every time.
    01-01-2014 01:05 AM
    I tried Waze but uninstalled it after a few days simply because of how much of a battery suck it is. My hour-long commute that started at 100% ended in the low 80s when it was on the charger the whole time. The day I wasn't charging (wireless charger had come unplugged) the phone ended up in the 50s if I remember right. Great service, but they need to work on the app and why it's such a draining experience (pun intended).
    I used to see similar numbers when I used an el cheapo USB charger. But once I bumped up to a better USB 2A connector and better micro usb cable, it was much improved. When I get to work, I'm at about 98 percent.
    01-01-2014 03:07 AM
    Well i'm not going to bash but sorry i've had the opposite and i work in one of the biggest cities in the US and HERE is better, I also do not use google on android i use google maps on their website which should be more up to date, I drive for a living i drive over 250-300 miles a day, as a professional driver i can tell you that google is not better here maps is much better at least with accuracy, there is certain times google will have streets that HERE doesnt but they are in the wrong place, i have run about 11-13 stops a day and look up addresses for each and everyone, anytime i cant find an address on googles maps on their website i check on my phone and HERE has it 9/10 times. I can tell you this and i've noticed this as a glitch, if you try to search and address in HERE maps alot of times it doesnt come up that doesnt mean HERE doesnt have it, the search is broken. But I dont use it like this, 90% of the time i type the entire address in because i know what it is, if your just using search and nothing comes up there a chance its there you just have to hit search anyway and it will come up, its somewhat glitchy that way. As far as HERE having the biggest collection i dont think normal consumers realize how big navteq is, nokia bought them at an they were the leading provider for GPS maps in the world, navteq also bought out several smaller companies, its not a fanboy opinion its a fact they have more data worldwide, google does sometimes get data faster in the US but nokia is working in way more countries than google, so they have a bigger database to update than google. I'm not saying its better in every area like others said some areas are better with one service some with another but both are way better than apple. Its like cell service even though verizon may have bigger overal coverage, certain arears other companies have BETTER coverage. This doesnt mean verizon sucks or they have less coverage. When it comes to maps there are only a few players and navteq/nokia is the biggest. GARMIN, BMW, MERCEDES, handful of other cars, and like othesr navigon and half the 3rd party GPS apps are all powered by navteq/nokia. Google only provides or online websites very few use google for 3rd party maps, cause they tend to get their data wrong as placement of streets. Business info and POI google wins, but those are less important to me cause i need address accuracy for driving.
    Show us some addresses that don't work in gmaps ?

I want to try it in oruxmaps, osmand+, sygic, waze, gmaps and a few other offline mapping program I use.
    01-01-2014 05:50 AM
157 1234 ...