HERE Maps Vs Google Maps Vs Apple Maps (Voice Turn-by-turn)

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Well i'm not going to bash but sorry i've had the opposite and i work in one of the biggest cities in the US and HERE is better, I also do not use google on android i use google maps on their website which should be more up to date, I drive for a living i drive over 250-300 miles a day, as a professional driver i can tell you that google is not better here maps is much better at least with accuracy, there is certain times google will have streets that HERE doesnt but they are in the wrong place, i have run about 11-13 stops a day and look up addresses for each and everyone, anytime i cant find an address on googles maps on their website i check on my phone and HERE has it 9/10 times. I can tell you this and i've noticed this as a glitch, if you try to search and address in HERE maps alot of times it doesnt come up that doesnt mean HERE doesnt have it, the search is broken. But I dont use it like this, 90% of the time i type the entire address in because i know what it is, if your just using search and nothing comes up there a chance its there you just have to hit search anyway and it will come up, its somewhat glitchy that way. As far as HERE having the biggest collection i dont think normal consumers realize how big navteq is, nokia bought them at an they were the leading provider for GPS maps in the world, navteq also bought out several smaller companies, its not a ****** opinion its a fact they have more data worldwide, google does sometimes get data faster in the US but nokia is working in way more countries than google, so they have a bigger database to update than google. I'm not saying its better in every area like others said some areas are better with one service some with another but both are way better than apple. Its like cell service even though verizon may have bigger overal coverage, certain arears other companies have BETTER coverage. This doesnt mean verizon sucks or they have less coverage. When it comes to maps there are only a few players and navteq/nokia is the biggest. GARMIN, BMW, MERCEDES, handful of other cars, and like othesr navigon and half the 3rd party GPS apps are all powered by navteq/nokia. Google only provides or online websites very few use google for 3rd party maps, cause they tend to get their data wrong as placement of streets. Business info and POI google wins, but those are less important to me cause i need address accuracy for driving.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Other than features, it's mostly anecdotal and probably affected a lot by where you tend to drive. All of my navy services (Here, Waze, Navigon) work great in Seattle, but I just went on a trip to Maui, and Waze was horrendous.

For features, I'd say Navigon. I've been using Waze a lot in Seattle for the traffic and it's already shown me a great route home from work that I never knew about. Here is fine, but it's a relatively basic program. I miss the guidance on the side of the street that the address is on.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you'll be just fine with Here maps. They are continually updated, you get turn by turn voice, the maps are downloaded so no data usage and its a free service. Lots of plusses for getting where you need to go.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Other than features, it's mostly anecdotal and probably affected a lot by where you tend to drive. All of my navy services (Here, Waze, Navigon) work great in Seattle, but I just went on a trip to Maui, and Waze was horrendous.

For features, I'd say Navigon. I've been using Waze a lot in Seattle for the traffic and it's already shown me a great route home from work that I never knew about. Here is fine, but it's a relatively basic program. I miss the guidance on the side of the street that the address is on.

I have Waze but I never used it for much beyond looking for traffic snarls. I might give it shot at navi tomorrow.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried Waze but uninstalled it after a few days simply because of how much of a battery suck it is. My hour-long commute that started at 100% ended in the low 80s when it was on the charger the whole time. The day I wasn't charging (wireless charger had come unplugged) the phone ended up in the 50s if I remember right. Great service, but they need to work on the app and why it's such a draining experience (pun intended).

Whatsup67

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
nokia maps here in australia is the best turn by turn mapping system i have used period.apple and google have a bit to go yet to match nokia maps.just my experience.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I used Nokia Here Drive+ for my 18 hour drive from Ohio to Florida. I also used it whilst in Orlando and all the way back without any issues. The offline maps were awesome for a trip such as this. Also, I had no problems finding any of the sights whilst in Orlando. Straight to the front door every time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I tried Waze but uninstalled it after a few days simply because of how much of a battery suck it is. My hour-long commute that started at 100% ended in the low 80s when it was on the charger the whole time. The day I wasn't charging (wireless charger had come unplugged) the phone ended up in the 50s if I remember right. Great service, but they need to work on the app and why it's such a draining experience (pun intended).
I used to see similar numbers when I used an el cheapo USB charger. But once I bumped up to a better USB 2A connector and better micro usb cable, it was much improved. When I get to work, I'm at about 98 percent.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Well i'm not going to bash but sorry i've had the opposite and i work in one of the biggest cities in the US and HERE is better, I also do not use google on android i use google maps on their website which should be more up to date, I drive for a living i drive over 250-300 miles a day, as a professional driver i can tell you that google is not better here maps is much better at least with accuracy, there is certain times google will have streets that HERE doesnt but they are in the wrong place, i have run about 11-13 stops a day and look up addresses for each and everyone, anytime i cant find an address on googles maps on their website i check on my phone and HERE has it 9/10 times. I can tell you this and i've noticed this as a glitch, if you try to search and address in HERE maps alot of times it doesnt come up that doesnt mean HERE doesnt have it, the search is broken. But I dont use it like this, 90% of the time i type the entire address in because i know what it is, if your just using search and nothing comes up there a chance its there you just have to hit search anyway and it will come up, its somewhat glitchy that way. As far as HERE having the biggest collection i dont think normal consumers realize how big navteq is, nokia bought them at an they were the leading provider for GPS maps in the world, navteq also bought out several smaller companies, its not a ****** opinion its a fact they have more data worldwide, google does sometimes get data faster in the US but nokia is working in way more countries than google, so they have a bigger database to update than google. I'm not saying its better in every area like others said some areas are better with one service some with another but both are way better than apple. Its like cell service even though verizon may have bigger overal coverage, certain arears other companies have BETTER coverage. This doesnt mean verizon sucks or they have less coverage. When it comes to maps there are only a few players and navteq/nokia is the biggest. GARMIN, BMW, MERCEDES, handful of other cars, and like othesr navigon and half the 3rd party GPS apps are all powered by navteq/nokia. Google only provides or online websites very few use google for 3rd party maps, cause they tend to get their data wrong as placement of streets. Business info and POI google wins, but those are less important to me cause i need address accuracy for driving.

Show us some addresses that don't work in gmaps ?

I want to try it in oruxmaps, osmand+, sygic, waze, gmaps and a few other offline mapping program I use.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I used to see similar numbers when I used an el cheapo USB charger. But once I bumped up to a better USB 2A connector and better micro usb cable, it was much improved. When I get to work, I'm at about 98 percent.

I'm using a Nokia DT-900 wired to my car, in a Frankensteined phone mount. :wink:

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't keep a list of addresses that don't work cause they are customers addresses would be a violation of privacy, I am not talking about businesses cause those addressees don't update as often as residential, I have no reason to lie about this I use google every day because the site Is attached to my employers software, but it happens every single week. I don't know what people don't understand about bigger database, its on paper its physically has more streets than google, you can't argue this fact everybody knows, Nokia has their cities and countries listed and its much bigger than Google's database. I mean if google Is so good why don't more companies use their maps? Why would Garmin use Nokia as a supplier if google is so much better and isn't google free? I mean Garmin actually pays Nokia for this so your saying google being free has a bigger and more accurate database but Garmin chooses Nokia and loses money for inferior product. Just because google maps is like the go to for all the consumers who don't know better , doesn't mean professionals and mapping companies agree. Consumers get stuff wrong all the time and have no idea what is better because they pull their maps out once a month and the one time Nokia didn't have something they chalk that up as google is better. I use both on a daily basis Nokia is better has been forever and has been around much much longer than google. For accuracy.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've found HERE Maps to be perfectly fine for in city navigation. The built in GPS in my 810 is a nice bonus for the middle of nowhere jaunts. My biggest beef is the name change from Nokia Maps to HERE. In essence, pretty damn satisfied.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't keep a list of addresses that don't work cause they are customers addresses would be a violation of privacy, I am not talking about businesses cause those addressees don't update as often as residential, I have no reason to lie about this I use google every day because the site Is attached to my employers software, but it happens every single week. I don't know what people don't understand about bigger database, its on paper its physically has more streets than google, you can't argue this fact everybody knows, Nokia has their cities and countries listed and its much bigger than Google's database. I mean if google Is so good why don't more companies use their maps? Why would Garmin use Nokia as a supplier if google is so much better and isn't google free? I mean Garmin actually pays Nokia for this so your saying google being free has a bigger and more accurate database but Garmin chooses Nokia and loses money for inferior product. Just because google maps is like the go to for all the consumers who don't know better , doesn't mean professionals and mapping companies agree. Consumers get stuff wrong all the time and have no idea what is better because they pull their maps out once a month and the one time Nokia didn't have something they chalk that up as google is better. I use both on a daily basis Nokia is better has been forever and has been around much much longer than google. For accuracy.

Addresses are public information. There was no accusation, just a request for addresses to test against different mapping sources and navigation applications.

I was really hoping to test some stuff, instead of argue about which works better without testing.

dnomadic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Google Maps does not work well for users that don't like Android or Google. :shocked:

I understand that. But the request for information was from a former Android User, so I was providing my experience so the he is not shocked. GMAPs on Android coupled with Google Now (Or whatever the voice commands are called) has proven to be spectacular experience with me... Speak it and you are there....Lots of extra details on your route...beautiful interface once you are close to your destination, none of the pauses I get with here Maps (i have to come out of maps and re-enter information occasionally, this is not too often but has happened more than a few times)....

dnomadic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
One feature my Wife's Iphone has that I would love to see in "HERE" is "screen off" operation....During your travel, when there is a long stretch before next turn, the display will shutdown, then the phone awakes to provide timely navigation information. This saves on battery big time.... My 928 SUCKS BATTERY when using GPS (HERE or Waze (my favorite), even when connected to my Car charger....My wife's iPhone actually went from 80% to 100% on our trip to Philadelphia on New Years....It freakin' charged while using GPS....Where phones be doing that at (sorry for that last sentence, I keep hearing people say, where they do that at, and I think it is freakin' hilarious)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with Here sucking my battery. While charging and navigating with either Here or CoPilot, my battery actually charges. While using Waze, it gets sucked dry.

It is worth noting that different chargers charge at different rates, and if you're using a low-power charger (usually cheaper ones), that'll make a difference. I'm using a Nokia DT-900 Wireless Charging Plate that I've done a Frankenstein job of putting into a phone cradle.

dnomadic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a problem with Here sucking my battery. While charging and navigating with either Here or CoPilot, my battery actually charges. While using Waze, it gets sucked dry.

It is worth noting that different chargers charge at different rates, and if you're using a low-power charger (usually cheaper ones), that'll make a difference. I'm using a Nokia DT-900 Wireless Charging Plate that I've done a Frankenstein job of putting into a phone cradle.

Thanks, I read that "Waze" sucked battery a few times in this thread... That may be my problem (not to mention my el Cheapo charger). I'll try a new charger first cause I like the service WAZE provides, I would hate to have to discontinue use due to it "KILLING" my battery.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I like Waze, but I uninstalled it because even using the Nokia charger, it's a huge battery suck. I've left them feedback suggesting they look at that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers