HERE Maps Vs Google Maps Vs Apple Maps (Voice Turn-by-turn)

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Does HERE Maps have the option to download the map area to your phone if you are going off network like Google Maps does? I travel a lot over seas and this feature has saved me numerous times!

Here allows you to download whole countries and their points of interest for offline use. Nothing so limited as an "area"

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure about Here vs Google or Apple, but it's much better than my car's built-in GPS. It was $2000 extra for that option, arf arf.

mgerbasio

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I very recently switched from a Nexus 5 to a Lumina 925 and had a chance to use Here Maps on a drive I typically used Google Maps on which is about 90 minutes. I'm in the NYC Metro area and accurate traffic is critical for me. Here was accurate showing traffic and my ETA was close even with 20+ minutes of traffic.

Plus for Here:
Offline Maps.

Minus for Here:
It doesn't reroute based on traffic.
It doesn't offer alternative routes.
Traffic and ETA wasn't accurately reported until I was about 20 minutes into my trip although that may have been due to the first time using it as it seemed to work fine on the way back.
I didn't see an easy way to view the entire trip and see where traffic was on the route.

nightspark

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Maps is still better for where I live. I had to find screen printers a few months ago Here Maps didn't find any in my area, the nearest one it found was 29 miles! I used Google maps and it found six within 2 miles of where I live. Here doesn't even get my home location correct. It tells me I'm living a couple of houses down. I would like Here to be better than Google, but for me it isn't.

Rockfella

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It offers alternative routes for sure. Offline works fine too. HERE Drive should be top priority for people who travel internationally as you can go for paid version and use your phone for navigation anywhere in the world. No phone does that with out sim card period!
I very recently switched from a Nexus 5 to a Lumina 925 and had a chance to use Here Maps on a drive I typically used Google Maps on which is about 90 minutes. I'm in the NYC Metro area and accurate traffic is critical for me. Here was accurate showing traffic and my ETA was close even with 20+ minutes of traffic.

Plus for Here:
Offline Maps.

Minus for Here:
It doesn't reroute based on traffic.
It doesn't offer alternative routes.
Traffic and ETA wasn't accurately reported until I was about 20 minutes into my trip although that may have been due to the first time using it as it seemed to work fine on the way back.
I didn't see an easy way to view the entire trip and see where traffic was on the route.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It offers alternative routes for sure. Offline works find too. HERE Drive should be top priority for people who travel internationally as you can go for paid version and use your phone for navigation anywhere in the world. No phone does that with out sim card period!
I'm pretty sure all Nokia Lumia phones get the "paid version" already for free. (HERE Drive +)

Baryex86

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Used Here Maps, Nokia Drive and Google Maps. I have to admit, I like Google Maps a lot more than the previous two. Google Map is faster and more accurate than Here Maps. Nokia Drive is really good, rarely have any problems with it, I do use a GPS when driving, so I rarely use Nokia Drive unless an emergency occurs. However Here Transit is the deal breaker here, I have used in in Massachusetts, Colorado, Washington D.C and it has worked flawlessly. Best navigation app for public transportation. I was surprised how well it integrated bus/metro directions. That being said, I wish Google Maps could come to Windows Phone.

Infamy79

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure all Nokia Lumia phones get the "paid version" already for free. (HERE Drive +)
The flagships get Here Drive+, but not all devices.
For example I've never had to buy an upgrade on my Lumia 920, as I always download the offline maps for countries I am about to visit and have done this for North America and Europe with no problems at all. My father got a 1320 at my recommendation (for the offline maps and translator) before he went on his motorbike trip from Vladivostok to London. He had to buy the Drive+ upgrade before he downloaded all the maps for most of his trip and the only ones he couldn't get were countries like Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, etc.

Rockfella

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Google maps is on WP too but its not that refined. Test it today..
Used Here Maps, Nokia Drive and Google Maps. I have to admit, I like Google Maps a lot more than the previous two. Google Map is faster and more accurate than Here Maps. Nokia Drive is really good, rarely have any problems with it, I do use a GPS when driving, so I rarely use Nokia Drive unless an emergency occurs. However Here Transit is the deal breaker here, I have used in in Massachusetts, Colorado, Washington D.C and it has worked flawlessly. Best navigation app for public transportation. I was surprised how well it integrated bus/metro directions. That being said, I wish Google Maps could come to Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12