Google Should Be Afraid.

Wide opeN

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Having just switched to a WP8 after having both iPhone and Android, I'm beginning to see why Google won't put any of their apps on WP.

They're scared... and they should be. After much consternation, I've come to the conclusion that WP8, is where I want to be right now.

After being bored with the iPhone, and not neccessarily wanting to go back to Android, I decided to give WP8 a try. I got the Nokia 1520, simply cause I liked the beastly specs on it... (even, though I didn't know what they were exactly, before I ordered it). So, the phone came, and because I was having a problem getting my GMail contacts loaded, I panicked, and decided to bail on WP8.

So I call customer service and get them to send me a HTC One Mini. Well, while waiting for the Mini, my contacts finally loaded, (don't know what the problem was), and immediately my perception began to change. I started liking the phone and OS more, and more.

Fast Forward to the other day, and my Mini arrives, OMG... Android compared to WP8 seems so convoluted, I mean, I wouldn't have neccessarily known it without actually comparing the OS's in a short period of time directly.

All I have to say, is the WP8 gives me my info quickly and concisely, while Android just seemed, sloppy and discombobulated. I now see, why Google doesn't want to play nice with Microsoft, lol... THEY KNOW, that if WP8 gets all the "cool" apps, they'd have some SERIOUS competition, in addition to iOS.

I'm glad to finally have given WP an honest chance... Once the app selection gets there, and Microsoft keeps advancing the platform, I think the near future could be the breakout WP has been poised for!!!

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey Wide opeN,Welcome to WPCentral,i'm glad you like your windows phone and share your opinion about it :)
The "poor" app selection and that people are unfamiliar with WP is what made it leave behind...But its just matter of time for WP8 to get more amazing apps and be more popular...

Marcos Archer

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
the only need for WP to increase, it's too release/develop more good app's already on Android and IOS. I believe they aren't going to disappoint soon, i expect the opposite of it.

Wide opeN

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Afraid is a strong word in this case. WP has a ways to go before Google is afraid...

Perhaps, but I think they're definitely aware that WP proposes a legitimate contender. If Microsoft is smart, they'll capitalize on the popularity of XB1 and use that, as a gateway device to WP.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I can guarantee you that Google is very afraid. Why? Because it's not just about WP8. It's the whole ecosystem. Let me explain: My dad came over for Christmas and showed off his new Dell Venue 8 Pro. Very nice, and setup to mirror his desktop. Think about this for a second...it's getting to the point where someone can take their desktop and apps from their PC to their tablet, and be on the go. When WP8 merges with RT, and can then do nearly the same (the exception being the desktop apps), you can get access to everything, anywhere, at any time. Add services like Bing, Outlook.com (easily superior to GMail), OneNote, and other such things, and you can see where MS is going.

So here is why Google is afraid. If you get to the point where you can either choose an Android tablet and phone, with little connectivity between the two, or you can choose, for around the same price, a more powerful x86 tablet that runs full Windows, that mirrors your desktop, and you can add your phone to it as well...that's where it gets to the point of - who needs Google? It's BlackBerry all over again. That is why Google is trying so hard to push Chromebooks. If they don't they risk becoming unimportant in about 2 or 3 more years. Having seen Chromebooks in action, I don't think it's going to help them.

I agree with the author of this thread, as Android is convoluted. I deal with it on my TouchPad and it drives me nuts. The whole methodology is a mess. The only place where I can stand Android is on tablets like the Nooks we have where the interface makes it more bearable, but only slightly. Even there...who needs a Nook or Fire when you can get a Win8 x86 tablet with Nook and Kindle apps and have both? Windows Phone is going to be the final piece of the puzzle, and it's ease of use, and low cost devices (520/521) are going to drive it past iOS, and start competing with Android until the merging is done. Then it's going to be a quick decline for Android.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The thoughts of Wide opeN and falconcrap have been pretty close to my own.

Google isn't "threatened" by Apple, until Apple creates an enterprise manageable services experience. Microsoft offers that experience, its even arguably the superior experience across all platforms - Android, IOS, Win Phone, OSx, Windows desktop.

From a serious, get work done perspective, Google's services reveal their "Beta" heritage outside of Android/Chrome.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you consider MS a patent troll. This is a patent they are using in their own products.

Rockstar? Isn't it comprised of a company owned by Microsoft, Apple, et al. that took patents acquired by purchasing a defunct company called Nortel, and is now using those patents for little else besides trolling? Read about it on Wikipedia. I've never read anything about any of the owners using any of the patents for their own products. Rockstar is certainly a patent troll, and it's partially owned by Microsoft. It seems to have been formed for the purpose of trolling. Android OEMs already pay Microsoft a royalty because of a patent.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has a better ecosystem; hands down. There is no comparison. However, most people don't seem to care. They want the device that all their friends have, such as the Galaxy S4. They see that it has a ton of features, good hardware specs, and supports all the latest apps (excluding iTunes and FaceTime), works well with their Gmail account, and is also recommended by the sales rep so that is the phone they buy. They also think of Windows Phone as inferior to Android simply because they disliked Microsoft's dominance in the PC market or had problems with their computers running Windows so they figure why buy a phone that is going to crash like their computer does and these apps that are being advertised wherever you go (Download our app) whether it be a store, restaurant, or whatever and many times there is only an iPhone and Android version. Sure, the major apps are pretty much all on Windows Phone but many of them are a version or two behind their iOS or Android counterparts.
Those of us who have more technical knowledge and care about the integration and understand the stability and ease of use of Windows Phone and Windows 8.1, and don't hold any grudge against Microsoft are going to prefer Windows phones and tablets. What can be done about everyone else?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
And yes, both companies should be afraid. But since google is currently on top, them failing would be embarrassing and since Microsoft has started getting attention, of course they're going to pull moves like keeping their services from Microsoft. To say that Microsoft isn't a strong competitor would be a lie

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Rockstar? Isn't it comprised of a company owned by Microsoft, Apple, et al. that took patents acquired by purchasing a defunct company called Nortel, and is now using those patents for little else besides trolling? Read about it on Wikipedia. I've never read anything about any of the owners using any of the patents for their own products. Rockstar is certainly a patent troll, and it's partially owned by Microsoft. It seems to have been formed for the purpose of trolling. Android OEMs already pay Microsoft a royalty because of a patent.

Yes, the Nortel patents, that Google also bid for. They just got outbid by the Rockstar group (Apple, Microsoft, RIM).

I'm sure Google's interest in those patents was purely altruistic, you know, "Don't be evil"......

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Nortel patents, that Google also bid for. They just got outbid by the Rockstar group (Apple, Microsoft, RIM).

I'm sure Google's interest in those patents was purely altruistic, you know, "Don't be evil"......

But Google must be actually using whatever the patents cover, since they're being sued. Are the companies that own Rockstar using them? Maybe they are, but all information I've seen on Rockstar indicates that its sole purpose is patent trolling.

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I can guarantee you that Google is very afraid. Why? Because it's not just about WP8. It's the whole ecosystem. Let me explain: My dad came over for Christmas and showed off his new Dell Venue 8 Pro. Very nice, and setup to mirror his desktop. Think about this for a second...it's getting to the point where someone can take their desktop and apps from their PC to their tablet, and be on the go. When WP8 merges with RT, and can then do nearly the same (the exception being the desktop apps), you can get access to everything, anywhere, at any time. Add services like Bing, Outlook.com (easily superior to GMail), OneNote, and other such things, and you can see where MS is going.

So here is why Google is afraid. If you get to the point where you can either choose an Android tablet and phone, with little connectivity between the two, or you can choose, for around the same price, a more powerful x86 tablet that runs full Windows, that mirrors your desktop, and you can add your phone to it as well...that's where it gets to the point of - who needs Google? It's BlackBerry all over again. That is why Google is trying so hard to push Chromebooks. If they don't they risk becoming unimportant in about 2 or 3 more years. Having seen Chromebooks in action, I don't think it's going to help them.

I agree with the author of this thread, as Android is convoluted. I deal with it on my TouchPad and it drives me nuts. The whole methodology is a mess. The only place where I can stand Android is on tablets like the Nooks we have where the interface makes it more bearable, but only slightly. Even there...who needs a Nook or Fire when you can get a Win8 x86 tablet with Nook and Kindle apps and have both? Windows Phone is going to be the final piece of the puzzle, and it's ease of use, and low cost devices (520/521) are going to drive it past iOS, and start competing with Android until the merging is done. Then it's going to be a quick decline for Android.

Having an eco system is more than just having the pieces. I got a new windows 8 desktop and laptop (great sales at Costco) for Christmas and Tuesday got a Lumia 925 with the express purpose of tying this ecosystem you speak of together. I have had a microsoft account for a while for my son's xbox. Trying the all together is not as easy as it sounds. Lots of moving parts... Skydrive is a mess and slow when auto uploading etc, outlook.com versus outlook on the desktop etc. So while I see the potential, it just is not there yet. I consider myself pretty tech savvy too. Apple has a much better system for my macbook, iPad and iPhone. Android is easy because google makes the apps and they sync regardless of the device they are on android or iOS. I open Chrome on my macbook and it looks the same as the chrome on my android and my windows desktop etc. Google Drive or keep on my Android or iPhone, iPad etc. Seems like the only place you cannot get OEM google apps is Windows Phone. Maybe because Google is scared? I must say that I am not too keen on google trying to force google+ and hangouts onto everyone. I do not want to use those products but they are trying to integrate them so tightly that you have to use them...no thanks.

I agree that 2014 could be big for MSFT, but I think you overestimate things a bit if you think they are doing to put any dents in APPL or GOOG any time soon. Mobile is where it is and the next batch of new Nokia devices hopefully announced in March or so will show us if MSFT is going to gain any ground soon.

So far I am enjoying my Lumia 925 for it's camera but it is not a serious contender to a Google Now and Google Wallet tap and pay user like me. I will keep an open mind and we will see.

Last edited:

kc77

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why it's being called "patent trolling." Licensing patents or being paid royalties on the use of a patent is a business. It's just like anything else in the market. Business isn't a charity. The point is to make as much money as possible and owning patents is a way to do that. There's nothing wrong with being compensated for allowing another company to use patents that you rightfully acquired.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
But Google must be actually using whatever the patents cover, since they're being sued. Are the companies that own Rockstar using them? Maybe they are, but all information I've seen on Rockstar indicates that its sole purpose is patent trolling.

Well, A quick "google" for it returned this:
http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/09/...nch-now-controls-434-of-them-vs-samsungs-819/

Google does have a bit of a problem: since they bid a nearly identical amount to the Rockstar group for the patent portfolio, they tacitly acknowledge the usefulness and value of said portfolio.

Losing the Nortel patents is why Google bought Motorola, not to become a handset manufacturer, but to acquire Moto's patents.

We've all been here before with Microsoft and Apple years ago. They decided to play nice, and cross licensed tech and patents. The question is up in the air if the same will happen in the mobile arena.

MERCDROID

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft definitely has a hit on its hands with Windows Phone 8. And, they have a great opportunity to really build a great ecosystem, tying in the desktop, mobile, and xBox one platforms. I just wish they would take a more hands-on approach with Windows Phone.

And, in my opinion, instead of releasing device after device, they should create one high-end device (just like Apple/Google does) each year, and then a mid-range, and low-end device. Then, they should create one tablet each year. Also, I think it would be cool for Microsoft to release updates to all of its devices (ala Apple) once a year. Mimicking the successes of the two largest competitors could be Microsoft's best strategy for capturing more marketshare.

Regarding the lack of Google Apps on Windows Phone, can't Microsoft just choose to build their own Google Apps, just like they did with the YouTube app?

Regarding the Rockstar Consortium and the pending lawsuit, I believe both sides are wrong to some extent. Google shouldn't have tried to buy the Nortel patents all for themselves. And Microsoft, Blackberry, Apple, Sony, etc should have directed (if they have/had the power to) the Consortium to reach licensing deals before exploring more litigious options. Just my opinion.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon