WP advice... Lumia 920 vs Ativ S vs Lumia 525

pveezy

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The three phones in my title might not seem that comparable, but I am seriously considering jumping from Android to WP8 and I have been looking at the Lumia 920, Ativ S, and Lumia 525. I posted a thread last week where I was trying to figure out how to best upgrade my phone in my situation. I have an S3 now with a year and a half left on the contract. I just found out that I can't upgrade through my carrier without killing my current awesome rate plan and replacing it with one that costs $40-50 more for the same features, so that option is out.

I also do not really want to buy a used craigslist type phone.

So, that leaves me with brand new unlocked off contract handsets. I found that expansys.ca seems to be the best option of me (Canadian) and they have several options available.

1. The Nokia Lumia 920. $340 + $24 shipping = $364
2. Samsung Ativ S. $264 + $24 shipping = $288
3. Nokia Lumia 525. $200 + $24 shipping = $224

So I am completely new to Windows Phone coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android right now, and before that I had a iPhone 3GS. So I don't have much hands on experience other than playing with it in the store and liking it. I've been trying to educate myself on what best option to go with.

I realize these are "last year" phones, and I'd love something like a Lumia 1020, but they are more than I'd like to pay considering I am paying full off contract pricing. The Lumia 920 at the price I listed above is about the upper end of what I'd want to spend.

The 920 and Ativ seem to be very similar spec wise. I love Nokia's form factor and I hear they have some great Nokia apps. But the Ativ also looks very nice, has very similar hardware, the same screen which I love in my S3, and has a larger (replaceable) batter. What are peoples opinions on these two against each other? Would the 920 be worth $76 more than the Ativ? What Nokia apps are available on other WP8 devices and what ones are exclusive?

With the 525, this phone while a bargain phone also seems very nice and competent. The price is very attractive. Considering I only have 1 and a half years left on my contract before I get a subsidized upgrade, and who knows, I may hate WP8, this one might be a nice "starter" device... but it would be a step down from my S3 considering it lacks an HD display, which I am not sure how keen I am on that.

Oh, also one advantage to the 920 is that it has LTE capability which the Ativ (that I am looking at) and 525 do not. I do have an LTE plan and an LTE sim card... but currently I always have LTE shut off on my S3 since it kills the battery for barely any noticeable speed increase for general browsing/streaming.

Are there any other models I should look for?

My primary use of smartphones are streaming video, music, browsing, email, and some minor viewing/editing of documents.

Last edited:

Teodor Adrian

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Blind consideration and personal oppinion: the 920.
Personaly i like the screen more than the one on the s3, and there s a great camera, lifetime nav, better build (in my oppinion), the nokia proprietary apps and so on.

Lloyyd

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Take the Samsung Ativ S please out of your options - Nokia is the most offering company around WP8 at the moment. If you want to go between 300-400 I'd either take the 925 or 1320. If I had to choose between your 3 listed devices I'd take the 920 over and over again. Forever and ever :) I still have it at home, my GF uses it now because I switched to 1020 - but the 920 will always be loved from me, it's build quality and looks are always stunning.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
920 is the best option imo. It might not have cutting edge technology but its the most complete windows phone from Nokia apart from Lumia 1520.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ativ S gets about 30% more battery time than Lumia 920 even though its basically the same phone. At least this was the case when I switched to the Ativ S before GDR2 came. It has +10% bigger battery than the 920 and AMOLED screen vs the LCD on the Lumia, which is most likely the difference maker also here. Ativ S is a good solid phone with micro-sd -slot. And it also has the unlock now, which if you are intrested in, will enable you 3rd column on tiles and other cool small functions not possible normally.

EDIT: the 920's camera is of course better than the one in Samsung. Samsung still takes pretty good still pictures, on video I think the difference is even bigger.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The three phones in my title might not seem that comparable, but I am seriously considering jumping from Android to WP8 and I have been looking at the Lumia 920, Ativ S, and Lumia 525. I posted a thread last week where I was trying to figure out how to best upgrade my phone in my situation. I have an S3 now with a year and a half left on the contract. I just found out that I can't upgrade through my carrier without killing my current awesome rate plan and replacing it with one that costs $40-50 more for the same features, so that option is out.

I also do not really want to buy a used craigslist type phone.

So, that leaves me with brand new unlocked off contract handsets. I found that expansys.ca seems to be the best option of me (Canadian) and they have several options available.

1. The Nokia Lumia 920. $340 + $24 shipping = $364
2. Samsung Ativ S. $264 + $24 shipping = $288
3. Nokia Lumia 525. $200 + $24 shipping = $224

So I am completely new to Windows Phone coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android right now, and before that I had a iPhone 3GS. So I don't have much hands on experience other than playing with it in the store and liking it. I've been trying to educate myself on what best option to go with.

I realize these are "last year" phones, and I'd love something like a Lumia 1020, but they are more than I'd like to pay considering I am paying full off contract pricing. The Lumia 920 at the price I listed above is about the upper end of what I'd want to spend.

The 920 and Ativ seem to be very similar spec wise. I love Nokia's form factor and I hear they have some great Nokia apps. But the Ativ also looks very nice, has very similar hardware, the same screen which I love in my S3, and has a larger (replaceable) batter. What are peoples opinions on these two against each other? Would the 920 be worth $76 more than the Ativ? What Nokia apps are available on other WP8 devices and what ones are exclusive?

With the 525, this phone while a bargain phone also seems very nice and competent. The price is very attractive. Considering I only have 1 and a half years left on my contract before I get a subsidized upgrade, and who knows, I may hate WP8, this one might be a nice "starter" device... but it would be a step down from my S3 considering it lacks an HD display, which I am not sure how keen I am on that.

Oh, also one advantage to the 920 is that it has LTE capability which the Ativ (that I am looking at) and 525 do not. I do have an LTE plan and an LTE sim card... but currently I always have LTE shut off on my S3 since it kills the battery for barely any noticeable speed increase for general browsing/streaming.

Are there any other models I should look for?

My primary use of smartphones are streaming video, music, browsing, email, and some minor viewing/editing of documents.

Based on what you listed as needs, Ativ S is the best fit. If those prices you listed are US prices, Expansys USA is much cheaper - $315 with shipping for the 920, $240 with shipping for the Ativ S.

If the camera isn't of consequence, the Ativ S provides the exact same experience you are getting with your S3, except it is WP8. Now if you really need the LTE, the Rogers model may be more expensive. If you don't mind HSPA, the Ativ S gives you good bang for buck.

I wouldn't touch the 525 because if it the US you're in, you can get the Ativ S for the same price as the 525, and the 525 loses to the Ativ S overall. If you do the WiFi proxy trick, you can get most of Nokia's apps onto the Ativ S - get the Nokia camera app.

While Nokia offers the best WP8 support as it has made 90% of the WP8 models, the Ativ S is still a very good buy and does get support - contrary to what many Nokia apologists will tell you. To me, you get a better intro experience with the Ativ S.

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
At that price - and especially compared to the other phones on your list - the 525 is not worth it.

That leaves with a toss up between the 920 and the ATIV S.

In that scenario, the ATIV S is the better pick. More battery life, more storage options, and cheaper as well!
Consider the ATIV S as the most underrated Windows Phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas