Windows Phone 8.1

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Yea, but knowing the WP team, they are slow AND software is buggy. Tell that smooth line to all of the people with battery drain and freezing screens. I'm sure some of it comes down to the hardware, but man...this update can not come soon enough. It's so delayed. You guys are saying that the preview will come at Build and full release will come end of the year? That is basically a 2 year period for a 0.1 update! I hope this is wrong and the preview comes before Build.

the 0.1 means it's a naming scheme Microsoft uses. like Windows 8 ---> Windows 8.1. numbering is minor but there are a lot of features which consider it a major update. same thing will happen to WP8.1

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There is always something that is missing for them (an app or a feature).

And therein lies a lot of the problem with WP. If you think about it, there's a reason why iOS & Android have so many features. It's not to make a long impressive bullet point list. We say we like the simplicity of WP. In reality we like to have the features that we'd use, and then not clutter the OS with features we don't. But for a platform to appeal the the majority of users, it must have the features that you want, the features that I want, and the features that everybody else wants. Thus you have a less than simple, more complicated, but feature rich adn more widely appealing OS.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.1 is probably the update we all have been waiting for. Notification center, Cortana, Button-less phones, Separate Volume control switches etc etc...
OMG It's so hard to wait for Nokia to announce some shiny new hardware again ;D
Also, we want a successor of the 925, NOW! :D

I came from WebOS. Not really sure how a notification center works. My phone's, SMS, and FB already notifies me of messages.

GideonTerblanche

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Its sad really. WP8.1 was supposed to be released in October 2013. Then the rumors of Windows Phone team lagging behind turned out to be true. Later, it was assumed that it would be released in first quarter of 2014. Now April.. With the possibility that current phones might take longer to update. I really don't care about GDR updates as they did little to add the much needed features to the current phones. It's been almost 15 months since a major update. So slow :(

just like android so i don't see what's the problem?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Let GDR3 run its course.

If you want to compare Android and Windows Phone, then technically, WP is on 8.2 going on 8.3 (with 8.1 being 8.4).

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
What I want most for 8.1 is the stuff we need to have a full featured smart watch apps.
1) Background apps/processes (not the every 30 minute tile updates.)
2) Access to incoming phone calls, SMS and emails for notifications to the phone.
3) Better music control especially under the lock screen.
4) Access to the Bluetooth 4.0/LE. (It is supposed to be included in the "Black" update but not for use by 3rd party apps.)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
a task manager is number 1 on my list.

You pretty much have this on GDR3 (can view all running apps and close them)....What do you really need besides that ? Besides I think WP handles memory very well, as even running a big game in the background, the OS is still very fast and fluid. No problems with that..

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Let GDR3 run its course.

If you want to compare Android and Windows Phone, then technically, WP is on 8.2 going on 8.3 (with 8.1 being 8.4).

I would say the Android 0.1 updates are more bigger than WP GDR updates. 4.1 brought Project Butter, 4.2 admittedly was small (miracast and controller support) 4.3 brought TRIM for the storage (made the phones way faster) and tons of bug fixes. Our GDRs only bring new hardware support and some gimmicky Nokia firmware support (which should be built in to the OS, but that's another matter). The GDRs haven't even fixed any of the bugs that have been plaguing our phones like battery drain and slow app loading. But I do hope 8.1 will be a nice and significant upgrade.

arifdanials

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm really hoping for a preview of WP 8.1 before it is (expected to) officially announced at build 2014 like the Preview for Developers of GDR3

Zaki Smile

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I would prefer mirroring compability, like Miracast so it is possible to show picture and run demo of apps on a bigger screen like Iphone and Android users can do. I would also want to be able to make more with NFC, like setting an alarm and turn on flight mode by taping a NFC tag before going to bed or turn on cellular data and turn of WIFI by taping a tag, when I will leave my home. Right now it is NFC useless.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I would prefer mirroring compability, like Miracast so it is possible to show picture and run demo of apps on a bigger screen like Iphone and Android users can do. I would also want to be able to make more with NFC, like setting an alarm and turn on flight mode by taping a NFC tag before going to bed or turn on cellular data and turn of WIFI by taping a tag, when I will leave my home. Right now it is NFC useless.

Nokia Beamer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett