Is the GDR3 preview worth getting??

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Kinda been sleeping on the whole thing and just recently discovered you can update and use a preview of GDR3... of course I did a little digging, an found quite a few people are having glitches and bugs with the update. Yet some others are reporting good news on it. Would love everyone's input on it. Is it worth downloading it or should I wait for the official update.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you're using a Nokia keep in mind that you don't get Black with this. It's purely the MS update only. As well, when Black comes out you'll the the official release at that time. So it only comes down to if you want it or not.

For me personally, I've had zero issues with it. I'm using a L920. I think people who have had issues may have had underlying issues already with their phones. Let's face it, WP OS hasn't exactly been the most stable thing.

If you're phone is in good working order, is updated to the latest OS/Firmware then I'd say go for it. It's unlikely you'll have any issues. Also any bugs that may have come up have been fixed by now as official releases are out for all handsets except Nokia.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
My only worry is that you can revert back to gdr2. Would be nice if they gave an option to do that. But so far it seems so tempting. So far I haven't had many issues with my phone itself just certain apps, mostly just crashes. But other then that its fine. How would one know if the firmware/os is up to date?

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Im using GDR3 on my Lumia 520 and so far less buggy than amber. Ofcourse we will get the black update so you don't have to worry about being at risk of glitches.
The only glitch i found was inaccurate icons at app switcher screen. I don't think anyone would even notice. I didn't and saw some post here and then came to senses.

Also AutoRotate lock is a huge improvement so I'd say you go for it.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I updated to GDR 3 but not sure what bugs are there since I had my phone for a week. When is this Bittersweet Shimmer or Black supposed to show up? Is there any way to get that installed ahead of the official release?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My only worry is that you can revert back to gdr2. Would be nice if they gave an option to do that. But so far it seems so tempting. So far I haven't had many issues with my phone itself just certain apps, mostly just crashes. But other then that its fine. How would one know if the firmware/os is up to date?

Settings -> extras + info

You can use Sysapp Pusher SysApp Pusher | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom) to verify if all your system apps are up to date.

I wouldn't stress too much about going back to GDR2. You won't be able to do that once the official release comes out anyway. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I updated to GDR 3 but not sure what bugs are there since I had my phone for a week. When is this Bittersweet Shimmer or Black supposed to show up? Is there any way to get that installed ahead of the official release?

Black will be coming any time now. They've already released it for certain handsets so it's a matter of time and of course, carrier preference.

There is no way to get it installed prior to the official release though there are many people would love this idea.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Im a little bit sold. But I think im going to wait for the official release it builds up the anticipation and excitement. That is one of the wonderful things about owning a WP8, it is a young system and features are barely being born. I feel alot of great apps are on there way. And official ones like facebook and instagram are gonna get better, patience is key. So people should not worry about not having many apps remember this great thing just got started.:smile:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Im a little bit sold. But I think im going to wait for the official release it builds up the anticipation and excitement. That is one of the wonderful things about owning a WP8, it is a young system and features are barely being born. I feel alot of great apps are on there way. And official ones like facebook and instagram are gonna get better, patience is key. So people should not worry about not having many apps remember this great thing just got started.

Love to see this kind of attitude and anticipation with the platform that I've been in love with for nearly four years now! :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon