MSFT... Give some life to live tiles!!!!

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Some info doesn't require data... For example battery status or analog/digital clock on live tile... These things which doesn't need data consumption should update in real time.... WP8 is actually downgradation to erstwhile windows mobile 5/6/6.1/6.5 . on those platform if you had spb pocketplus or WISBAR ADVANCE DESKTOP , u could pin real time updating battery ,clock etc....

Missing Windows Mobile terribly... Any one out there missing WinMo?? wish I had O2 XDA2 with 1GB RAM today!

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Well Windows Phone is less close to Windows NT,so they made it to look more like a smartphone OS...
Windows Mobiles really look like Windows NT,but still i agree with you,maybe they should do an update for Live Tiles,but in the other hand if they update in real time it might consume much battery...

Anant Anand

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Well Windows Phone is less close to Windows NT,so they made it to look more like a smartphone OS...
Windows Mobiles really look like Windows NT,but still i agree with you,maybe they should do an update for Live Tiles,but in the other hand if they update in real time it might consume much battery...

No... Real time updating only for hardware specific things like clock tile or battery tile... That will not require data consumption but pull their info from status bar at top which doesn't need data too... So no heavy battery consumption
for example, your top status bar is constantly updating time/signal /battery/volume info... But with negligible battery consumption... So MSFT must make real time updating LIVE tiles pulling info from top /status bar

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No... Real time updating only for hardware specific things like clock tile or battery tile... That will not require data consumption but pull their info from status bar at top which doesn't need data too... So no heavy battery consumption

Sounds great in theory, but once we have battery or clock apps that update once a second or so, how long before developers abuse those interfaces with more power hungry apps?

Lets be honest, developers aren't perfect. A clock app doesn't sound battery intensive, but it just takes a bit of defensive coding, or a small mistake, and the battery will be drained far quicker, and will people spend time disabling apps to work out the power drain cause? course they won't, they'll all start bit**ing about how WP8 drains batteries. Same as they do at the moment.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Data is not the only thing that consumes battery. A badly designed app can consume a lot of juice without using any data. That's why there is a limitation put in the background tasks. Otherwise you will end up like most Android phones where background tasks consume all the resources.

I was a heavy user of various Windows Mobile phones starting with WM2003. But I never miss anything about it. The entire WM OS is horribly outdated and useless. Android reminds me everything about WM. If you miss WM, just pick up an Android phone.

There was a known bug in WP8 that if you have no data connection what so ever, live tiles will never updated regardless if your tile use data or not. Not sure when it was fixed (probably in GDR3).

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
for example, your top status bar is constantly updating time/signal /battery/volume info... But with negligible battery consumption... So MSFT must make real time updating LIVE tiles pulling info from top /status bar

The problem is that a displaying a status bar and displaying a Live Tile are totally different things and a Live Tile updating in real time would make battery life nose dive.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that a displaying a status bar and displaying a Live Tile are totally different things and a Live Tile updating in real time would make battery life nose dive.

And how the f.. don't Android widgets for clock, battery etc, waste any battery? If you gonna make a new OS and compete with iOS and Android, don't fcking downgrade on simple programming stuff like that. Is HTC's clock wasting battery?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
And how the f.. don't Android widgets for clock, battery etc, waste any battery? If you gonna make a new OS and compete with iOS and Android, don't fcking downgrade on simple programming stuff like that. Is HTC's clock wasting battery?

They do though, why do you think Android devices have to be charged on a daily basis. Android also has full multitasking and doesn't tombstone background tasks which makes those widgets possible while reducing battery life. I would rather Microsoft focus their efforts elsewhere instead of turning WP into WinDroid!!

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
They do though, why do you think Android devices have to be charged on a daily basis. Android also has full multitasking and doesn't tombstone background tasks which makes those widgets possible while reducing battery life. I would rather Microsoft focus their efforts elsewhere instead of turning WP into WinDroid!!

Sorry mate, but i've had HTC Wildfire, ancient Android, prior to L520, for three years, always had a clock widget and/or battery widget, later i've put battery percentage up in the status bar and not as a widget. So with that and clock widget, my battery was good for 3 days without charging. These new Android's might waste more, but it's simply not working on the "live tile" principle..

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Sorry mate, but i've had HTC Wildfire, ancient Android, prior to L520, for three years, always had a clock widget and/or battery widget, later i've put battery percentage up in the status bar and not as a widget. So with that and clock widget, my battery was good for 3 days without charging. These new Android's might waste more, but it's simply not working on the "live tile" principle..

Why are you so set on wanting WP to become WinDroid, I bet you were using one widget and had the brightness on it's lowest that's why it lasted for 3 days on a single charge. Load it up with widgets on every home screen, turn the brightness up to full and then see if you still get 3 days out of it!!!

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why are you so set on wanting WP to become WinDroid, I bet you were using one widget and had the brightness on it's lowest that's why it lasted for 3 days on a single charge. Load it up with widgets on every home screen, turn the brightness up to full and then see if you still get 3 days out of it!!!

I do not want it to be "windroid", but if you call something a "live tile", and have it actually be a downgrade of widgets, only updates half an hour, and if it's real time it will eat your battery in 10 minutes, then yeah.. i have a problem with that. I don't want to load it up with that, just a real-time battery tile and a real time clock tile, that doesn't waste battery. At the moment the damn battery apps actually waste your battery drastically.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I do not want it to be "windroid", but if you call something a "live tile", and have it actually be a downgrade of widgets, only updates half an hour, and if it's real time it will eat your battery in 10 minutes, then yeah.. i have a problem with that. I don't want to load it up with that, just a real-time battery tile and a real time clock tile, that doesn't waste battery. At the moment the damn battery apps actually waste your battery drastically.

The conversation could be a little more pleasant and constructive without the profanity and the hostility. Just sayin'...

gmlongo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Clock makes zero sense...its already there in the status bar. And of course, having a live tile updating in real time will use battery, even a clock. If it's using the CPU, it's using battery...just a matter of how much.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Clock makes zero sense...its already there in the status bar. And of course, having a live tile updating in real time will use battery, even a clock. If it's using the CPU, it's using battery...just a matter of how much.

Then homescreen and live-tiles make zero sense too, they're already there on the right screen, in the apps list? Cmon people..

And once again, widgets for clock and battery DO NOT waste battery on Android.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Then homescreen and live-tiles make zero sense too, they're already there on the right screen, in the apps list? Cmon people..

And once again, widgets for clock and battery DO NOT waste battery on Android.
You both hold differing opinions on the subject. Both of your opinions hold value. Just sayin'....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss