Nokia HERE Maps now has ads?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting that there's relatively little focus on the privacy implications of the ads being related to the tracking -and by extension, sharing- of your whereabouts.

Good point. However in this case it doesn't really matter where your location is. If I'm in Iowa and I do a search for hotels in St. Louis, on either Google Maps, and maybe now HERE maps, I could potentially get an ad for a local St. Louis hotel. The app doesn't need to know where my phone is, just the location I'm searching for.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia clearly advertised HERE Maps as a big feature of the Lumia line with offline maps that receive free updates and have no adds. Same was promised by Microsoft when they said support for WP8 will be for 18 months with updates. So these updates and features ARE part of support that you bought and paid for when you bought your phone.

I'd like to see where they promised no ads, if you could provide a link that would be great. I'd love to be proven wrong, but that just doesn't happen very often. :wink: I kid.. it does happen once in a while.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, this is Pino from the HERE team.
After rolling out advertisements (e.g. with Groupon) on here.com, we are introducing them on Windows Phone 8 apps too.
In the specific case of HERE Maps, we are displaying locally relevant ads in search results and nearby places. As krox1105 correctly pointed out, in this example the place 'Grossman Iron & Steel Co' is visible on the map and if you want to see what their offer is all about, you can click on the banner to open the browser.

Time to go back to Garmin GPS, if the don't offer a paid for no ad version. Just what I need in the woods or water, McDonald's or Wendy's ads.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, this is Pino from the HERE team.
After rolling out advertisements (e.g. with Groupon) on here.com, we are introducing them on Windows Phone 8 apps too.
In the specific case of HERE Maps, we are displaying locally relevant ads in search results and nearby places. As krox1105 correctly pointed out, in this example the place 'Grossman Iron & Steel Co' is visible on the map and if you want to see what their offer is all about, you can click on the banner to open the browser.

Thanks for the note, Pino. While I regret Nokia is injecting ads onto a device I purchased, at least I know it's not something malicious by a bad actor. I'd much rather see Nokia adopt the Amazon model of selling two different types of devices: ad-supported (and cheaper) and no-ads (and more expensive). The fact is currently there's no way to disable the ads. That's really unfortunate and, if I may be so bold, quite rude to the user.

Zaki Smile

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this is related to if you have a high end or low end phone, like Here Drive. Another possible reason why most of us don'tould be the country, maybe some countries have implemented this faster or maybe it is because of diffrent regulations in different countries. I hope I don't get it, I hate adds an tries do do anything to avoid them.

fnanfne

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Every single app that I've downloaded from the store so far has ads in them, every single one. Also, every single one has location services as a requisite WHY???

Some games even have ads inside the game while you're playing, WHAT?!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Every single app that I've downloaded from the store so far has ads in them, every single one. Also, every single one has location services as a requisite WHY???

Some games even have ads inside the game while you're playing, WHAT?!

Were those apps free? How do you think developers make their money on free apps?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Time to go back to Garmin GPS, if the don't offer a paid for no ad version. Just what I need in the woods or water, McDonald's or Wendy's ads.

here, buy this updated map for $89.

want topo? $89 more.

different country ? $59

no thank you to the Garmin mess. this sounds like a good time to mention adblockers and such though.

Detectionable

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
ya I know, but still- the more intrusive ads get, the more serious folks will consider making it happen

We can only hope, but it would need an unlocked phone/ROM in order to access and modify hosts file if WP8 uses hosts anyway, I never saw any adblockers even on custom ROMs for my old L710 unlocked

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
here, buy this updated map for $89.

want topo? $89 more.

different country ? $59

no thank you to the Garmin mess. this sounds like a good time to mention adblockers and such though.

Yes Garmin is often overpriced and expensive, but keep in mind that Garmin licenses maps from Navteq (i.e. Nokia) so naturally its more expensive than when Nokia just uses the maps they have in-house and don't have to pay any licensing fees for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo