Should I wait until WP8.1 release or buy phone now?

FourTonMantis

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, I'm (still) using my Lumia 710 with WP 7.8, but I finally decided to upgrade to newer device.
My budget is quite limited at the moment, so I was looking at Lumia 520 and 620 and liked the 620 better because of the nice display and compact size.
What I'm afraid is getting into the same (no updates, no popular apps) situation as with my current WP7 phone (you know what I'm talking about).
There was some kind of confirmation this week from Microsoft, that all wp8 devices should be upgradeable to wp8.1, but what do you think - should I wait until WP8.1 is released and new devices are announced or should I buy Lumia 620 and enjoy WP8 now without waiting more and more months? And do you think 620 is a good choice?
Thanks in advance!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you buy a completely unlocked device you'll have no issues with updates at all. Your phone will be updated to WP8.1 and any other updates coming. Keeping in mind any hardware restrictions. However if you buy one which has a product code associated with a carrier then there's a possibility of it not being updated.

WP8.1 is out in April. Up to you if you can wait that long or not.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I might say, hold on for a while... as new phones are coming soon... Just would suggest to get at least a 1gb phone with 16gb of ram but, I guess you could live with 8gb *IF* you limit your apps and games..

If your budget is really tight, look towards a used one, you might be able to get a really good deal...OR save a little money to get a higher end model when your ready...

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
If you buy a completely unlocked device you'll have no issues with updates at all. Your phone will be updated to WP8.1 and any other updates coming. Keeping in mind any hardware restrictions. However if you buy one which has a product code associated with a carrier then there's a possibility of it not being updated.

No, WP8,1 is due to be announced in April. It may be many months after that before it ships to customers, even ones with unlocked phones.

And I know MS has said ALL WP8 phones will run 8.1, but I'm sure the memory footprint of the OS will go up, even if only a little. So I would buy a 1GB RAM device, just to be safe. On your budget this means a Lumia 525, or an HTC 8X or even maybe a Lumia 820 (some good deal out there on the 820)

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
You should wait for WP 8.1 and buy a device with 1GB RAM otherwise don't buy a WP phone.

If you buy a WP8.1 phone not only you get longer support cycle but that device will also get faster update.

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

yes i concur. i just got an unbranded/unlocked 720 and updated to amber. i am in canada and none of the carriers here sell this device. in my case when will nokia release the black update to me?

FourTonMantis

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys, maybe you are right, that it's better to wait for the new budget devices (with 1 Gb of ram). I'm afraid that 525 may not be available in my country (it's not in the availability list for that model at nokia's website), but maybe at least 630/635 will come soon.
I'm not interested in 1320 and 1520 - they are not compact enough for me.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
yes i concur. i just got an unbranded/unlocked 720 and updated to amber. i am in canada and none of the carriers here sell this device. in my case when will nokia release the black update to me?

Check the Manufacturer Name under extras+info. You'll get the update when it's out for that variant.

nokia6300

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Check the Manufacturer Name under extras+info. You'll get the update when it's out for that variant.

thanks i got the manufacturer name. the phone is from saudi arabia. does that mean when the black update is released in saudi arabia i will get it too even though i'm in canada?

mrvhin1216

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
thanks i got the manufacturer name. the phone is from saudi arabia. does that mean when the black update is released in saudi arabia i will get it too even though i'm in canada?

Same question, as my phone is from Hong Kong and I'm in the Philippines. So, it's the same as saying even if the Black is released here, I won't get an update unless the same is released in Hong Kong?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte