I'm tired of Nokia's monopoly. Where are the promised OEMs?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I love Nokia's support and their hardware. But I am tired of them being the only maker of hardware for WP8. That's why I got an HTC 8X at launch and will probably avoid Nokia in the future. My next phone will be another Windows Phone OEM just because I want them to get my money as support for future hardware. Who's with me? Anyone else feel the same way?

The Black Mamba

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I understand your frustration about the lack of competing OEM on the Windows Phone space, but Nokia has done a great job keeping Windows Phone alive. I am not sure other OEMs were ready to be as engaged as Nokia, and with the relatively small success that Windows Phone is enjoying in the low-end market, maybe other OEM will follow the same trajectory on supporting Windows Phone. There have been report that Sony is very interested in making its first Windows Phone and that should be a good start.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
At this point I'd rather there just be one, Nokia or soon to be Microsoft. The 8X is a gorgeous phone. But HTC hasn't done a phone since. And Samsung's phones are ugly Android second hand phones.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It would be interesting to see another hardware company's take on windows phone, but if no one wants to step up to the plate, then so be it. Nokia builds tier one hardware. When they introduce new tech into a phone, it is something meaningful, not the gimmicky stuff that some companies appear to dole out.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I understand your frustration about the lack of competing OEM on the Windows Phone space, but Nokia has done a great job keeping Windows Phone alive. I am not sure other OEMs were ready to be as engaged as Nokia, and with the relatively small success that Windows Phone is enjoying in the low-end market, maybe other OEM will follow the same trajectory on supporting Windows Phone. There have been report that Sony is very interested in making its first Windows Phone and that should be a good start.

I'm really hoping Sony pulls through. However, they're in a tough spot right now, just like HTC is. Sony's hardware is second to none other than Nokia, and if they commit to the project, many users will be knocking on their door. Even others like LG, HP, ZTE, and, heck, Xiaomi would greatly benefit from working with MS's mobile OS. Xiaomi already makes colorful phones, so WP8 would scream on their hardware. Anything but Nokia. Their hardware, although excellent, is becoming ubiquitous to the point of boredom. Every WP I see is a Nokia, which may or may not have been the intention of MS. I don't want this OS to turn into iOS. We need more OEMs.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
they are too lazy to do anything, they don't really care about windows phone why should I support them my money goes to nokia

The Black Mamba

May 15, 2012
Visit site
If you look the situation on Android side, the situation is not that different. There is Samsung and everybody else. Even HTC, with arguably have one the best Android phones in the market, is struggling. Having three or four OEM that are truly committed to make a Windows Phone-based hardware would definitely be great for the third-mobile platform. Again, I agree with you although I am still waiting for a 5" phones after using the Lumia 920 for a over a year and half now.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel it isn't right to NOT support Nokia just because they are the only ones who makes windows phones. Nokia actually cares for the platform, so get the phone that you want and that is better, not just to please a company. And yes, Sony is coming this year. Also, with Microsoft taking away the fees for OEMs using WP, I see more budget friendly companies, like ZTE (again) to make Windows phones.

red.foxx15

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe that when Microsoft went for the manufacturers for android fees they severely hurt the mobile relationship with those companies.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
More OEMs coming this year,Sony, Micromax, ZTE, Huawei, Getting into the act too.

Problem with the other OEMs is that they are more focused on Android than Windows Phone,as its obvious Android has more market share they tend to spend more time on that platform.
so WHY this year suddenly all OEMs jumping on Windows phone?
Answer is Windows Phones Market share has increased and is already pulling down iOs in some markets.
If OEMs sell both android and windows phones together they have a better chance of making good sales and profits.

Nokia has dedicated the platform to Windows Only. They have no other choice but to flood the market with Windows Phones and capture their lost ground.
With WP8 getting GDR3 now their are most of the essential things needed on WP8.

With 8.1 WP shud have everything what other Platforms have,maybe more than that.
Also with 8.1 rolling out this year we will have the GDR's rolling too at quarterly with new updates.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
More OEMs coming this year,Sony, Micromax, ZTE, Huawei, Getting into the act too.

Problem with the other OEMs is that they are more focused on Android than Windows Phone,as its obvious Android has more market share they tend to spend more time on that platform.
so WHY this year suddenly all OEMs jumping on Windows phone?
Answer is Windows Phones Market share has increased and is already pulling down iOs in some markets.
If OEMs sell both android and windows phones together they have a better chance of making good sales and profits.

Nokia has dedicated the platform to Windows Only. They have no other choice but to flood the market with Windows Phones and capture their lost ground.
With WP8 getting GDR3 now their are most of the essential things needed on WP8.

With 8.1 WP shud have everything what other Platforms have,maybe more than that.
Also with 8.1 rolling out this year we will have the GDR's rolling too at quarterly with new updates.

We have Huawei. :p

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I love Nokia's support and their hardware. But I am tired of them being the only maker of hardware for WP8. That's why I got an HTC 8X at launch and will probably avoid Nokia in the future. My next phone will be another Windows Phone OEM just because I want them to get my money as support for future hardware. Who's with me? Anyone else feel the same way?

"Monopoly", only WP8 hardware maker, and that's why you just got an HTC, dad?? Contradiction, anyone?

I plan to spend my money on the device that satisfies my desires, not on any cause, and the Nokia 1020 and 1510 head my list. Sony is too tied to Android, as indicated from CES 2014 phone and camera releases, and other recent TVs and other products. I'd like to see Samsung buy in because they are the biggest handset manufacturer on the globe. In either case, it may depend on how other products in their ecosystems do; in particular, how they do with W8 tablets and laptops. Windows is still the dominant OS everywhere, and W8 has to extend that.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
If you look the situation on Android side, the situation is not that different. There is Samsung and everybody else. Even HTC, with arguably have one the best Android phones in the market, is struggling. Having three or four OEM that are truly committed to make a Windows Phone-based hardware would definitely be great for the third-mobile platform. Again, I agree with you although I am still waiting for a 5" phones after using the Lumia 920 for a over a year and half now.

Very true!

Also, Nokia is actually advancing features on WP faster than Microsoft. Things like the glance screen are awesome and are something unique that the other platforms don't have much of. I love that Nokia defines Windows Phone. They make it identifiable like an iPhone.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Uh nope, Nokia makes the best hardware with awesome support. Other quality OEMs like Sony are welcomed but I'd rather not have Samsung junk for WP. In fact, I wouldn't mind at all if Microsoft pushed forward with its own in house phones now that Nokia is part of MS and excluded all other manufacturers like Apple does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786