I'm tired of Nokia's monopoly. Where are the promised OEMs?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I love Nokia's support and their hardware. But I am tired of them being the only maker of hardware for WP8. That's why I got an HTC 8X at launch and will probably avoid Nokia in the future. My next phone will be another Windows Phone OEM just because I want them to get my money as support for future hardware. Who's with me? Anyone else feel the same way?

so much is wrong with this post. Lmao.

I owned an HTC and while the hardware was nice, the phone has very little support and was average and quickly became forgotten and irrelevant.

With the work and dedication Nokia has given windows phone, I will always support Nokia simply because HTC has been in the game since windows phone 7 and always put out subpar models Samsung makes crap phones and they have the budget and marketing to do something to get people to buy their crap phones and they didn't.

I can't see a reason any manufacturer deserves my money besides Nokia because they don't care about windows phone the way Nokia does. Sony makes lovely phones and is second best after HTC android, but I have no desire to ever own their phones. If they are going to be all in like Nokia, I can consider them. If they are going to be like everyone else, I will pass.

Without Nokia, windows phone would be dead.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will continue to have my full support and business if they continue the great support they have been providing so far, with frequent app updates and improving features. There is still a way to go to perfect some apps like Panorama and put in lane assist in HERE Drive, but so far Nokia has great support and for me proper support is 50% of the product.

Samsung and HTC have nowhere near the level of support for their devices. + Samsung lost me for good with the poor support for the original Samsung Focus and the fact that I never even got the WP7.8 update on ATT [and I don't give a damn whether that was ATT's or Samsung's fault, all I care about is that there was no update].

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
"Monopoly", only WP8 hardware maker, and that's why you just got an HTC, dad?? Contradiction, anyone?

I plan to spend my money on the device that satisfies my desires, not on any cause, and the Nokia 1020 and 1510 head my list. Sony is too tied to Android, as indicated from CES 2014 phone and camera releases, and other recent TVs and other products. I'd like to see Samsung buy in because they are the biggest handset manufacturer on the globe. In either case, it may depend on how other products in their ecosystems do; in particular, how they do with W8 tablets and laptops. Windows is still the dominant OS everywhere, and W8 has to extend that.

Obviously that wasn't the only thing that tied into it. Carrier restrictions, great music quality (I mean, REALLY GREAT), sleek design, beautiful colors, promise for "stock" WP8 experience (being my first Windows Phone, I didn't know what that meant exactly, but I committed because I wanted that stock experience).

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
so much is wrong with this post. Lmao.

I owned an HTC and while the hardware was nice, the phone has very little support and was average and quickly became forgotten and irrelevant.

With the work and dedication Nokia has given windows phone, I will always support Nokia simply because HTC has been in the game since windows phone 7 and always put out subpar models Samsung makes crap phones and they have the budget and marketing to do something to get people to buy their crap phones and they didn't.

I can't see a reason any manufacturer deserves my money besides Nokia because they don't care about windows phone the way Nokia does. Sony makes lovely phones and is second best after HTC android, but I have no desire to ever own their phones. If they are going to be all in like Nokia, I can consider them. If they are going to be like everyone else, I will pass.

Without Nokia, windows phone would be dead.

I'm sorry I disappointed you. Welcome to the WPCentral forums, where disappointment is only a page scroll away! Hahaha but seriously, that's what I'm saying. We need another manufacturer that makes people want to support them. Because not everyone wants a Nokia phone, believe it or not.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I love Nokia's support and their hardware. But I am tired of them being the only maker of hardware for WP8. That's why I got an HTC 8X at launch and will probably avoid Nokia in the future. My next phone will be another Windows Phone OEM just because I want them to get my money as support for future hardware. Who's with me? Anyone else feel the same way?

lol no. Nokia has brought Windows Phone to the mainstream. If Nokia weren't making Windows phones, HTC wouldn't bother.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
lol no. Nokia has brought Windows Phone to the mainstream. If Nokia weren't making Windows phones, HTC wouldn't bother.
HTC and Samsung would still bother making them. They'll just end up stuffing them in some warehouse somewhere.

In particular, Samsung is still here largely because WP is still a threat to Tizen.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Sony is too tied to Android, as indicated from CES 2014 phone and camera releases, and other recent TVs and other products.

Did Sony release any Android TVs or cameras? I would be very interested to see that but must have missed the announcements.

Windows is still the dominant OS everywhere, and W8 has to extend that.

Not everywhere. Check out the numbers in this report:
Android device shipments to top 1 billion this year -- Gartner | Mobile - CNET News
Windows is the dominant OS for desktops and laptops, but nowhere else. 1.9 billion mobile phones (not all smart phones) are predicted to be sold this year, compared to fewer than 300 million desktop and laptop PCs.
The world has changed.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I would rather have Microsoft build one or two phones per year that can can have the OS updated in a timely fashion than all this fragmented garbage that is happening now. You buy a Nexus you get updates, iphone, you get updates. Windows phone? umm... well....

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would rather have Microsoft build one or two phones per year that can can have the OS updated in a timely fashion than all this fragmented garbage that is happening now. You buy a Nexus you get updates, iphone, you get updates. Windows phone? umm... well....

Yeah, I guess three updates last year doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out....

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't really like Nokia's design. The sharp corners make their phones unpleasant to hold. My Titan II feels much better in hand because of its curved design. The problem with other OEMs that that once they release the hardware, they don't support it. I don't think I have received a single update since I bought this phone. If you want support right now, you go with Nokia. If you want ATT or Verizon to authorize firmware updates, you go with Nokia. If you want new apps released and exclusives, you go with Nokia.

Hopefully another company has some success and we have more options. If Sony is going to build a WP, I hope it goes all-out. Best hardware, exclusive software, attractive design. They probably wont build another one if it fails, so they may as well give it their all.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I guess three updates last year doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out....

Android 4.4 (KitKat) was released in November 2013 and it's had 2 updates already. iOS 7 was released in September 2013 and has had 4 updates so far. And as far as I know WP8 has had 2 official updates since its release in October 2012. And if you want to count updates to Android & iOS since WP8 was released, Android has had 8 updates and iOS has had 12 by my count.

So no, it doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out... :eek:rly:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
If anything, the developers program should help non-nokia owners.

As Samsung/Htc/etc do very little in the way of firmware updates, the dev prog will give you the phone updates almost the moment Microsoft releases them. Us Nokia owners then need to wait for Nokia to do their stuff on top of the official update, then get it out to carriers.

Maybe an OEM needs to do a cheap, carrier-free device, thats cheap enough to buy outright, and deliberately has no major firmware updates, so they can deliver the MS updates as quickly as possible, in a Nexus style.

Or Microsoft encourage the Nokia style of updates as apps, yet again, so that users can get the MS updates quicker, and the firmware fixes come as apps, rather than through the carrier.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Did Sony release any Android TVs or cameras? I would be very interested to see that but must have missed the announcements.
Yes, Sony presented at least one Android phone and one camera with Android this year, and I don't think that either was a first. Qualification on TVs, btw, is that I may be thinking of google play-embedded TVs.
Not everywhere. Check out the numbers in this report:
Android device shipments to top 1 billion this year -- Gartner | Mobile - CNET News
Windows is the dominant OS for desktops and laptops, but nowhere else. 1.9 billion mobile phones (not all smart phones) are predicted to be sold this year, compared to fewer than 300 million desktop and laptop PCs.
The world has changed.
Note: I did something wrong, evidently. The first part of my response is in the Quote section above.
And yes, I did say Windows, and meant it in its limited sense. Still, this means the business sector -defined loosely- globally, and that is huge and meaningful. Android dominates the mobile sector, if to a lesser extent because of Apple's higher success there. Android being free since the beginning has been a major strategic advantage. The respective market share advantages are of such magnitude that they may be forever ones, even if competitors do manage gains.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Android 4.4 (KitKat) was released in November 2013 and it's had 2 updates already. iOS 7 was released in September 2013 and has had 4 updates so far. And as far as I know WP8 has had 2 official updates since its release in October 2012. And if you want to count updates to Android & iOS since WP8 was released, Android has had 8 updates and iOS has had 12 by my count.

So no, it doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out... :eek:rly:

I should have said three major updates....
And your count of two for WP8 is wrong. It's three.

EDIT: And that doesn't even count the two minor updates that came after GDR3.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Sony presented at least one Android phone and one camera with Android this year, and I don't think that either was a first. Qualification on TVs, btw, is that I may be thinking of google play-embedded TVs.

There were some announcements at CES of Android TVs with Google Play support, but as far as I know, not from Sony. If I missed something from Sony, it would be great if you could point me towards it!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Some people only see what they want to see. And remind us of that in every post.
And some want to count every little bug fix as being as significant as what we've seen on WP8.

Example:
iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7.0.1[edit]

11A470a
September 19, 2013; 3 months ago (2013-09-19)

iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C onlyBug fixes

• Fixes a bug with the Touch ID sensor on the iPhone 5s.
  • Fixes a bug with the App Store purchases system.
7.0.2[edit]

11A501
1.00.06 [SUP]P5C[/SUP] [SUP]P5S[/SUP]
September 26, 2013; 3 months ago (2013-09-26)

Bug fixes
  • Fixes bugs that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode.
Features

• Reintroduces a Greek keyboard option for passcode entry.
7.0.3[edit]

11B511
1.02.02 [SUP]P5C[/SUP]1.02.02 [SUP]P5S[/SUP] 5.02.00 [SUP]P5[/SUP]
October 22, 2013; 2 months ago (2013-10-22)

Bug fixes

• Updates lock screen to delay display of 'slide to unlock' when Touch ID is in use (iPhone 5s).
  • Fixes iMessage bugs where messages failed to send and iMessage failed to activate.
  • Improves system stability for iWork app.
  • Fixes accelerometer calibration issue.
  • Fixes a bug where Siri or VoiceOver used a lower voice.
  • Fixes bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode.
  • Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize motion and animation. (but not separately from only turning off the parallax effect)
  • Fixes a bug that caused VoiceOver input to be too sensitive.
  • Fixes a bug that caused supervised devices to become unsupervised when updating software.
Features

• Adds iCloud Keychain for website login & Wi-Fi network passwords, credit/debit card management, and other account info.
  • Adds Password Generator in Safari for generating unique, hard-to-guess passwords.
  • Adds back web search and Wikipedia search in Spotlight.
  • Updates the bold text setting to change dial pad text.
7.0.4[edit]

11B554a
November 14, 2013; 60 days ago (2013-11-14)

Bug fixes:

• Bug fixes and improvements, including a fix for an issue that causes FaceTime calls to fail for some users .

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
umm what about the isheeps (iPhone users ), apple is the only one who make these phones every year......aren't the users of getting bored of the same OEM(apple here ). rest, one should support nokia for their hard work they have done in previous year for supporting and rising windows phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb