I'm tired of Nokia's monopoly. Where are the promised OEMs?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Android 4.4 (KitKat) was released in November 2013 and it's had 2 updates already. iOS 7 was released in September 2013 and has had 4 updates so far. And as far as I know WP8 has had 2 official updates since its release in October 2012. And if you want to count updates to Android & iOS since WP8 was released, Android has had 8 updates and iOS has had 12 by my count.

So no, it doesn't hold a candle to what Google and Apple put out... :eek:rly:

Those two updates to KitKat added no new features to the OS whatsoever. By comparison Microsoft have added features with pretty much all three GDRs!!

So yes, it does hold a candle to and surpasses anything that Google and Apple have put out...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
HTC in truth has not made a good Windows Phone since the HTC HD2, I know as I had one. It turned out to be one of the most flexible and highly mod'd phones around.

It Ran WinMo 6.5, Windows Phone 7, Android in many flavors, Meego, Windows Phone 8 started to blink to life, and even Windows RT got hacked onto the device ( The Dark Forces Team ).

After the HD2, HTC just didn't put the same into the devices.....HD7, HD Surround, Titan and Titan II, all were basic clones of the HD2 but with no passion. The Radar was a Step in the right direction.
It took it style from a smallish HTC Android Tablet, but they really made a good phone with that, but left it as a mid to low end phone.

I am sorry but the HTC 8x and 8s were just a half hearted attempt to cash in on Nokia's style and flair from the launch of the L700, L800 and L900, which at the time caused a buzz because Nokia had phones with wild color and new body shells.

Nokia made every mobile builder sit up and take notice. Just look at the Androids that are now hitting the market.......Oh Android now wants to be colorful. Apple even chumpped Nokia style with the ipod mini or nano's that looked like a Nokia Lumia.

What were the color options before Nokia????? White/Black/Grey/Silver in fact I think only Samsung was the odd one out, as they had a Windows Phone that was a Blue/Black tint of a plastic chrome.

Even Apple now has the 5c in color options.

So Nokia only looks to be a monopoly, but until they pushed the edges of design no one even noticed they were still alive. They have banked their future on 2 markets WP and Asha.....which is pulling them back from the dead.

HTC on the other hand looked to Android to keep them alive, and sadly they have lost much of their market as even in their Android line they have lost inspiration.

What's interesting about the HD2 is that as far as running WM 6.5, it was OK. Once the hackers got to it, it was the best dev phone in the past few years. That's where the legend started.

Agreed with the Radar. Good little phone. But, at the end of the day, the existing were not able to differentiate to make money because the user base was smaller in comparison to Android. Nokia saw an opportunity and did the best thing for them - use a Symbian based design (N9) to add WP in a good package. It wasn't an original design and one can argue that the design is now starting to age. Remember too, Nokia did a lot of the transition with MSFT's $. Without it, they'd have been RIM esque in their death.

Personally I don't think HTC got uninspired. They gambled on the Apple high end style approach and lost. Now, they're struggling to consolidate. Their WP8 models weren't terrible (and their WP7 ones weren't too). The OS wasn't up to snuff in terms of its hardware support either.

xchange

Banned
Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget Sony, it will come this year.

Sony IMO really stepped up their game last year to the point where I think their rendition of android is far better, more refined, better engineered and well thought out than HTC, LG, Samsung. If anyone were to make a WP now, they would be who I would want.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I love Nokia's support and their hardware. But I am tired of them being the only maker of hardware for WP8. That's why I got an HTC 8X at launch and will probably avoid Nokia in the future. My next phone will be another Windows Phone OEM just because I want them to get my money as support for future hardware. Who's with me? Anyone else feel the same way?

So you love Nokia's hardware and support but will avoid Nokia? No offense but to say there is a lack of logic is an understatement. It is also the equivalent of an Apple buyer saying they won't buy Apple products because only Apple makes them. Stating that they are the only maker of hardware for WP8 so you will buy from another OEM next time is also lacking in logic. I am sorry but this certainly seems to be a case of complaining just to complain. Buy whatever you want but to say you have issues with the successful company you like because they make the best stuff and that there are no other choices so you will buy another brand sounds like someone has been spending too much time in Colorado's pot shops....

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So you love Nokia's hardware and support but will avoid Nokia? No offense but to say there is a lack of logic is an understatement. It is also the equivalent of an Apple buyer saying they won't buy Apple products because only Apple makes them. Stating that they are the only maker of hardware for WP8 so you will buy from another OEM next time is also lacking in logic. I am sorry but this certainly seems to be a case of complaining just to complain. Buy whatever you want but to say you have issues with the successful company you like because they make the best stuff and that there are no other choices so you will buy another brand sounds like someone has been spending too much time in Colorado's pot shops....

I'm quite offended by this. It's actually far more trivial than you think. I like Nokia's hardware, but I want to be different. My whole life I sought to be different, because being against the in-crowd fills me with satisfaction. Sure I like Nokia's hardware and their support, but I just feel like someone else like Sony it LG could make the platform even better. Enough that I will buy their products and support them with my money. And given the number of comments on this thread, this is in no way "lacking in logic" like you state because, well, this sparked a conversation, did it not? Please, I do not want to read this kind of disrespectfulness on my thread. With all due respect, contribute positively to this discussion. Thank you.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
count me in, the only reason I'm using Nokia devices is that they're the one who support this platform very well; however, i'm ready to jump the ship to other OEM if they're taking serious in supporting this OS

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I like that Nokia is the primary device manufacturer for WP. I always hoped MS would enter a devices and services era like Apple has been. MS I feel will always have the better hardware for the software note because MS makes the hardware and software therefore everything in theory should work very well together

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
HTC in truth has not made a good Windows Phone since the HTC HD2, I know as I had one.
That only qualifies you to speak to about your own personal experience of the HD2, not on the entirety of HTC's Windows Phone range. Your opinion is your opinion, and nothing more that that.

HTC completely carried WP7's launch lineup. They pushed for 4G support in Tango and released a device alongside Nokia. They built the 8X and 8S in collaboration with Microsoft and still seem to be the ones pushing out updates on day one. They have continued to prove to be capable of producing world class hardware through devices such as the 8X, favoured by many as the nicest WP8 launch device, and the One, which is one of the few devices lauded as iPhone-like in fit and finish.

Nokia's hardware design is neat, but I think other OEMs have caught up. Years have passed and Nokia's best work is still some permutation of the N9 design. They struggle to keep their devices down in size compared to competitors, despite packing similar or worse internals with often undersized batteries. They have fat devices like the 920 and 620, and their attempt at thinning down led to the awkward, plastic-backed 925 (which has a bunch of other odd concessions, like the lack of built-in wireless charging). Then you've got stuff like this. Ultimately I do give the nod to Nokia, but that's more to do with their work on cameras and mapping.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Those two updates to KitKat added no new features to the OS whatsoever. By comparison Microsoft have added features with pretty much all three GDRs!!

So yes, it does hold a candle to and surpasses anything that Google and Apple have put out...

The straw grasping is strong in this topic. Thank you for clearing up that the competition hasn't released SIGNIFICANT updates

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
That only qualifies you to speak to about your own personal experience of the HD2, not on the entirety of HTC's Windows Phone range. Your opinion is your opinion, and nothing more that that.

HTC completely carried WP7's launch lineup. They pushed for 4G support in Tango and released a device alongside Nokia. They built the 8X and 8S in collaboration with Microsoft and still seem to be the ones pushing out updates on day one. They have continued to prove to be capable of producing world class hardware through devices such as the 8X, favoured by many as the nicest WP8 launch device, and the One, which is one of the few devices lauded as iPhone-like in fit and finish.

Nokia's hardware design is neat, but I think other OEMs have caught up. Years have passed and Nokia's best work is still some permutation of the N9 design. They struggle to keep their devices down in size compared to competitors, despite packing similar or worse internals with often undersized batteries. They have fat devices like the 920 and 620, and their attempt at thinning down led to the awkward, plastic-backed 925 (which has a bunch of other odd concessions, like the lack of built-in wireless charging). Then you've got stuff like this. Ultimately I do give the nod to Nokia, but that's more to do with their work on cameras and mapping.

Not fully true. I was a long time user of HTC going back to when they made phones branded to other Name Tags. My old Audiovox SMT 5600 (HTC Typhoon). You are right it is my opinion only, but it is the opinion of a long time HTC Fan.

I don't like to slag a company, but I still feel the 8X and 8S were less then inspired. I did trial an 8X and just did not like it. I did love my Radar, and had they made 1 or 2 other models in a line like that I would have stuck with them. HTC needed a bumped up version of the Radar to put into the Premium Market. However they didn't follow it up. Then a year almost after Nokia launches the 700, 800, and 900....along came the 8X and 8S. ( 2011 and 2012 respectively ).

The N9 issue was the hardware was awesome, the OS was not. No worry Add WP to the N9 line and a winner is made, as is the Asha line with the software of the N9. Nokia got their act together.

Nokia is a creature of habit, the Lumia line does match that of the old days when all older Nokia's were had to tell each other apart. However they did have a good market share in the old days, and they are starting to recap some traction again with the Lumia line. However this will come to an end if they do not find something to add to the line.

My hope would be that HTC will find a direction and design to pin them back on the market, even if they do the Surface Phone that is being whispered about quietly. That is a design that fits into HTC's wheel house !!!!!!!!!!!!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Buy whatever you want but to say you have issues with the successful company you like because they make the best stuff and that there are no other choices so you will buy another brand sounds like someone has been spending too much time in Colorado's pot shops....

Insulting someone who doesn't share your opinion - nice!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite offended by this. It's actually far more trivial than you think. I like Nokia's hardware, but I want to be different. My whole life I sought to be different, because being against the in-crowd fills me with satisfaction.

No offensive intended, but surely there are better ways to express your 'different-ness' than by buying products from large corporations?

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If we had multiple OEM's, we might have had a flagship non-phablet Windows phone by the end of 2013, basically what the 929 will be. I've got a year left on my 920 contract, but if I were in the market for a Windows phone at the end of 2013 (on ATT), I would be pretty disappointed with the selection. 1020 with last year's processor/screen or 1520 with current specs but is gigantic. Nokia alone can't produce everything, trying to satisfy all their customers from low end phones to phablets so another OEM possibly could pick up where they can't. Problem is, Samsung, LG, and Sony don't seem to care and HTC has financial issues.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have faith in Sony though to make Music phones close/er to Audiophile/snob level compared to Nokia and the others.
D'oh! I haven't heard music from HTC phones though.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
count me in, the only reason I'm using Nokia devices is that they're the one who support this platform very well; however, i'm ready to jump the ship to other OEM if they're taking serious in supporting this OS

Nokia is not supporting the wp platform, they were/are on wp's life support, via microsofts deep pockets. Nokias name is gone soon, and the hardware will remain with Microsoft. but that is not what matters really. the PATENTS are what you're buying into , and Microsoft is extremely happy about that.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
No offensive intended, but surely there are better ways to express your 'different-ness' than by buying products from large corporations?

I suppose. I do and still will buy phones based on what I use my phone for (music playback, social media), but I will look to other phones before I look at Nokia's because it's something different. Idk. Guess I'm weird. Haha

I mean, I still could end up buying a Nokia if Microsoft makes the design of all their phones different and they don't all look the same. Otherwise, ehh. Like, I LOVED the 925 design. So much. Maybe that would've been a phone to get had it been on Verizon (that might play into this as well)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I suppose. I do and still will buy phones based on what I use my phone for (music playback, social media), but I will look to other phones before I look at Nokia's because it's something different. Idk. Guess I'm weird. Haha

I mean, I still could end up buying a Nokia if Microsoft makes the design of all their phones different and they don't all look the same. Otherwise, ehh. Like, I LOVED the 925 design. So much. Maybe that would've been a phone to get had it been on Verizon (that might play into this as well)
Yeah, Verizon's selection.......... Yeah.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is not supporting the wp platform, they were/are on wp's life support, via microsofts deep pockets. Nokias name is gone soon, and the hardware will remain with Microsoft. but that is not what matters really. the PATENTS are what you're buying into , and Microsoft is extremely happy about that.

The way Nokia Needed MS, MS also needs Nokia,
MS would'nt have thought WP would be such a game changer, it was Nokia Who made sure the 3rd OS had to be WP.
Look at pre WP8 era, which was WITHOUT NOKIA, all other OEMs tried something with it but could'nt do much about it.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I did trial an 8X and just did not like it.
On the contrary, I'm pretty happy with my 8X. I'm a big fan of soft touch coatings and this device definitely feels nice in the hand. I reckon it looks better than any Lumia to date. Hate HTC's power button placement, though.

HTC needed a bumped up version of the Radar to put into the Premium Market. However they didn't follow it up. Then a year almost after Nokia launches the 700, 800, and 900....along came the 8X and 8S. ( 2011 and 2012 respectively ).
I'm not 100% on what you're saying here, but it doesn't sound correct. In terms of timing, HTC did not miss any cycle before 2013.

• WP7: Mozart, Trophy, Surround, Pro/Arrive, HD7
  • Mango: Radar, Titan
  • Tango: Titan II
  • WP8: 8X, 8S
Nokia is running away with it now, but I can't really blame HTC considering Microsoft is partnered with, pumps money into, and is now buying Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers