I'm tired of Nokia's monopoly. Where are the promised OEMs?

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
On the contrary, I'm pretty happy with my 8X. I'm a big fan of soft touch coatings and this device definitely feels nice in the hand. I reckon it looks better than any Lumia to date. Hate HTC's power button placement, though.

Nope, alot of lumias look better, specially the Lumia 925

It looks gorgeous

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The way Nokia Needed MS, MS also needs Nokia,
MS would'nt have thought WP would be such a game changer, it was Nokia Who made sure the 3rd OS had to be WP.
Look at pre WP8 era, which was WITHOUT NOKIA, all other OEMs tried something with it but could'nt do much about it.

last I remember ms was making more on patents than license or phone sales. the patents are more valuable than Nokia is to ms, is imagine.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Nokia will continue to have my full support and business if they continue the great support they have been providing so far, with frequent app updates and improving features. There is still a way to go to perfect some apps like Panorama and put in lane assist in HERE Drive, but so far Nokia has great support and for me proper support is 50% of the product.

Samsung and HTC have nowhere near the level of support for their devices. + Samsung lost me for good with the poor support for the original Samsung Focus and the fact that I never even got the WP7.8 update on ATT [and I don't give a damn whether that was ATT's or Samsung's fault, all I care about is that there was no update].

This 100%. I had to turn to XDA to get 7.8 on my HTC Surround.

Too many phones from Samsung and HTC have come out since WP7 and they all became unupdated feature phones from day 1 purchase. Took everyone's money and ran laughing. Problem is, they haven't just done this to WP, Android has this issue too.

While previous post nitpick blaming Microsoft\Nokia for updates not coming fast enough, turn to your carrier and give them a one up finger flicker. Nokia has been the fastest company I have ever seen with updates. You can open Marketplace more than once a week with an update. How many other OEMs can you say do that? Sure, we're waiting on OS updates GDR... But, it isn't because they haven't gotten them ready, its the ***** carriers holding them off of our phones with that stupid WAITING FOR APPROVAL notice.

Nokia has done a damn good job supporting WP and has made the most sound quality phones to date even before WP and I will buy them as long as they are being built, no matter who owns their devices division.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary, I'm pretty happy with my 8X. I'm a big fan of soft touch coatings and this device definitely feels nice in the hand. I reckon it looks better than any Lumia to date. Hate HTC's power button placement, though.

I'm not 100% on what you're saying here, but it doesn't sound correct. In terms of timing, HTC did not miss any cycle before 2013.

• WP7: Mozart, Trophy, Surround, Pro/Arrive, HD7
  • Mango: Radar, Titan
  • Tango: Titan II
  • WP8: 8X, 8S
Nokia is running away with it now, but I can't really blame HTC considering Microsoft is partnered with, pumps money into, and is now buying Nokia.

Think HTC will release a flagship phone in April when WP8.1 is released?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't call out Nokia for monopolizing the wp ecosystem. They are just the only ones trying. No one else gives a damn about wp. But honestly at the same time, I would be interested in another OEM making a phone. I will say, my Samsung Focus was my most reliable phone.Ever since Nokia stopped making phones in Finland, their build quality has become hit or miss. I've had 3 Nokia's. 900, 920, and now 1020. My 900 had a terrible rattle when it would vibrate (I went thorugh 2 with the same issue), the 920 kept getting dust in the front facing camera (went through 3 of them), and my gf and her brother both got 928s and they both always freeze and now their earpieces aren't working and can't hear callers (Both of them!). She hates the phone and wants to switch to a Galaxy (yuck) Now I personally am on a 1020. So far no issues with this one though. Cross my fingers. Hopefully they get that rock solid build quality back. It's a shame that their US models have such bad build quality.

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a fan of Nokia at all and wasn't. I have HTC 8X and I'm very satisfied with it. But recently, I started to look into the new released phones from Nokia and to be honest they are doing great more than any other company specially HTC. For me since my phone is very smooth, I'll wait for wp9. I love Sony but not sure if they are coming to WP. If wp9 released but nothing good from HTC or Sony meets my expectation, then for sure I'm going to get Nokia.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think this becomes a bigger problem based on a few "if's":

-IF Microsoft drops the ball on Nokia quality. Obviously, just by virtue of Nokia being bought, their hardware/software will change to some degree. But if MS screws this up and loses the designers and engineers who made Nokia so successful, or does some other dumb thing, we will really miss having more dedicated OEMs.

-IF Windows Phone takes off, and the MS-run hardware division can't keep up we will really miss having more dedicated OEMs.. or.....

-IF the new MS driven Nokia concentrates on a couple "base" devices, and we lose our choices Nokia provided. Right now, from the amazing L520, to the dozen mid range devices, to the 92X series, to the L1020 and L1520/1320, we have choices. If MS bumps that down to, oh let's just say three specific ranges of devices and nothing else, we will really miss having more dedicated OEMs.

In case you haven't noticed, this is completely in MS's hands. They certainly WANT more OEMs. They want Sony, want to keep HTC, Huawei and Samsung, and would love to get back LG.

But, as far as Nokia, that ship has sailed. It is THE WP maker, and only won't be if the new Mother ship messes it up or gives the ghost away to please the other OEMs they want.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
And as a side note, Nokia can't monopolize this ecosystem when it is so tied to MS/Windows products, and Android/iOS is still so far ahead of it.

If Nokia was #1 and WP was 80% of the marketplace for cell phone mobile OS, this conversation would be more troubling. As it is, if Nokia remained independent and dedicated to WP, we would have no worries about them being 90% of the sales, as they would continue to innovate and adapt to compete with the other 2 OS's.

anon(4086706)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
IMHO I would rather see Nokia and WP work together to flourish the OS and Ecosystem. Some manufacturers could join in but I doubt they would be as "dedicated" as Nokia. And besides, if Android will not give them royalties, I'm pretty sure they're going to push their resources to Android.

Only that Android is an extremely crowded space and feels monotonous when you see everything has Android in it. I'm glad Nokia stick with WP and BB with BB10. Variety is a lot better.

keitarokidd

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
There won't be another companies supported WP like Nokia, only MS's left alone and truggled with its ecosystem.

Apple and IOS are making money with their own OS and devices.
Google and other brand play their game with a fragment and hardware demanding OS. The companies can sell their new and full of fancy bullsh** products annually, while Google do their job to make sure old devices can't run smoothy after few months. It's a win - win situation for both.

Meanwhile, the only true and the only left market for MS and WP is 520's land: fast-smooth-basic smartphone with very low end and outdated specs. People will buy one and never need to upgrade. Nokia tried to cope with a Pureview cam, but in reality, DSLRs are better option. So, the Finnish made a smart move, sell their hardware to MS, cash out and Steve Ballmer does the same.

Happy ending.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This 100%. I had to turn to XDA to get 7.8 on my HTC Surround.

Too many phones from Samsung and HTC have come out since WP7 and they all became unupdated feature phones from day 1 purchase. Took everyone's money and ran laughing. Problem is, they haven't just done this to WP, Android has this issue too.

While previous post nitpick blaming Microsoft\Nokia for updates not coming fast enough, turn to your carrier and give them a one up finger flicker. Nokia has been the fastest company I have ever seen with updates. You can open Marketplace more than once a week with an update. How many other OEMs can you say do that? Sure, we're waiting on OS updates GDR... But, it isn't because they haven't gotten them ready, its the ***** carriers holding them off of our phones with that stupid WAITING FOR APPROVAL notice.

Nokia has done a damn good job supporting WP and has made the most sound quality phones to date even before WP and I will buy them as long as they are being built, no matter who owns their devices division.
this is Exactly how I feel as well.
The only way that I would ever consider another OEM Is if they somehow manage to prove they have beat Nokia as far as cameras are concerned....sony has average camera quality on their xperias so I hear.

Just like if you want the true android experience you should buy a nexus, anyone who wants the true windows phone experience should by a Lumia.

The only other way I would consider another windows phone is if it is a surface type of phone.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
this is Exactly how I feel as well.
The only way that I would ever consider another OEM Is if they somehow manage to prove they have beat Nokia as far as cameras are concerned....sony has average camera quality on their xperias so I hear.

Just like if you want the true android experience you should buy a nexus, anyone who wants the true windows phone experience should by a Lumia.

The only other way I would consider another windows phone is if it is a surface type of phone.
I agreed, but when i was using Android before my purchase of the Lumia 1520. I never like the Nexus products, for one unique feature: SD card. When I was searching for a Windows Phone, not only the 1080p 6'0 inch phone catch my attention but also it have micro-sd expansion and that was very attractive to me. I was able to move all my pictures and video from Android to Windows Phone with not problem.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agreed, but when i was using Android before my purchase of the Lumia 1520. I never like the Nexus products, for one unique feature: SD card. When I was searching for a Windows Phone, not only the 1080p 6'0 inch phone catch my attention but also it have micro-sd expansion and that was very attractive to me. I was able to move all my pictures and video from Android to Windows Phone with not problem.
I am not to presses about SD card as long as the Internal storage is good. Which disappoints me with my 1520 having such limited storage and I want the 32 GB model.

Personally I hate nexus and pure stock android. Its quite ugly to me and the hardware is nothing attractive. I always enjoyed HTC sense and I do like touchwiz, I just hate the plastic lol

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am not to presses about SD card as long as the Internal storage is good. Which disappoints me with my 1520 having such limited storage and I want the 32 GB model.

Personally I hate nexus and pure stock android. Its quite ugly to me and the hardware is nothing attractive. I always enjoyed HTC sense and I do like touchwiz, I just hate the plastic lol
the sd-expansion slot is really need it when my current and previous phones has been 16GB. When pictures, videos, files and apps are a lot and not enough space. :)

anon(4086706)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I still like having fast SD's as while I operate on an unlimited data plan, I do not want to stress my phone downloading all my media files :) Plus I can turn my phone into an impromptu USB Thumb Drive (at least my BB Z30 behaves that way in Mass Storage Mode) when I need something stored in the moment with a computer readily available.

Speaking of Mass Storage Modes, does WP 8 offer this option?

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
IMHO I would rather see Nokia and WP work together to flourish the OS and Ecosystem. Some manufacturers could join in but I doubt they would be as "dedicated" as Nokia. And besides, if Android will not give them royalties, I'm pretty sure they're going to push their resources to Android.

Only that Android is an extremely crowded space and feels monotonous when you see everything has Android in it. I'm glad Nokia stick with WP and BB with BB10. Variety is a lot better.

Agree with you bro,
We Nokia and MS will make things better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz