some privacy concerns on WP8

Zigi10

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Have few questions about privacy in WP8
1. Is there any way to ban specific permissions?
I see a lot of apps that requires other more permissions than what I think they need to have.
2. Anyone knows whats the Microsoft limitations for apps in the WP market?
for example, flashlight apps demanding microphone, phone identity, owner identity..
3.Why almost every app I'm looking at, requires 'data services'? is it standard for all the apps? {even the flashlight (without ads) or even apps to hide pictures. pictures that asked to be hidden on people's phone's together with 'data services'=privacy concern. ?
Yes yes i know I'm "a bit" paranoid but I don't want my contact list will be sent to developer.

AND why the hell there is no way to communicate with the developer *before* downloading an apps??!?!

Thanks!

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
There's no way to block apps needing certain permissions, but you can choose not to install apps that show more permissions that you think they need. A number of ad-based apps will need location services and data services because the ads come over the network and are often location-specific.

That said, a lot of apps list permissions that they don't really need. Our main app lists three features that it doesn't really need. We only became aware of it because a user asked us. (The app provides a way to reach us.) One of the permissions is there because the previous version used it (we removed a speech feature); two of them are there because they were mistakenly listed in the app manifest back when the app was written for Windows Phone 7.0. Our next update will remove those permissions because they aren't needed.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If an app is ad supported, it will require a quite long list of permissions in order for the ad control to work. For example, Microsoft Ad control requires following permissions to work:ID_CAP_IDENTITY_USER, ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PHOTO, and ID_CAP_PHONEDIALER

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Have few questions about privacy in WP8
1. Is there any way to ban specific permissions?
I see a lot of apps that requires other more permissions than what I think they need to have.
2. Anyone knows whats the Microsoft limitations for apps in the WP market?
for example, flashlight apps demanding microphone, phone identity, owner identity..
3.Why almost every app I'm looking at, requires 'data services'? is it standard for all the apps? {even the flashlight (without ads) or even apps to hide pictures. pictures that asked to be hidden on people's phone's together with 'data services'=privacy concern. ?
Yes yes i know I'm "a bit" paranoid but I don't want my contact list will be sent to developer.

AND why the hell there is no way to communicate with the developer *before* downloading an apps??!?!

Thanks!

A 'bit' paranoid he says..lol

1. Yes, do not use the app
2. Yes, check msdn.microsoft.com
3. Probably because you look at free apps whith add support. Obviously to get the adds you need a data connection.

A developer is free to do as he pleases and ask for whatever permissions, it's your choice to use the app or not.

spyridon

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
A 'bit' paranoid he says..lol

1. Yes, do not use the app
2. Yes, check msdn.microsoft.com
3. Probably because you look at free apps whith add support. Obviously to get the adds you need a data connection.

A developer is free to do as he pleases and ask for whatever permissions, it's your choice to use the app or not.

No he is not paranoid at all, what we should demand to be the obvious about our privacy it seems paranoid today. We have to educate and alert people especially children about what these requirements are and once they are aware they can make their choices as the will.
I believe firstly microsoft and then credible reviews like here on wpcentral should ask developers about their requirements if they are indeed necessary for the app to work. Microsoft must protect us, we dont need more and more apps that they are just numbers to catch up with google and apple, we need quality apps that they are safe to use.

But of course as you said it is our choice to download these type of absurd demanding requirement apps or not (which i don't). I prefer to be missing a lot of the "smartphone" experience instead of being exposed to any developer out there that i don't know his intentions.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I am assuming the data services, phone identity - make and model and owner identity (a coded long number-ish stuff) - are things an app needs when you get it on your phone to register them as yours. Most likely for licensing purposes. I haven't read through the app procedures but we have many excellent developers visiting us in the forums who may at some point help us here. I believe when you get an app it somehow links your phone, live ID related info with app so that in future when that app is charged for, you still get it free or you can still re-install apps.

I may have talked total non-sense up there.

So my idea is - move this thread in "developers corner" and hopefully guys developing for WP8 can provide better insight on why they use certain libraries?

Let me know and am happy to move this thread where more developers frequent the forums.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think a lot of us have iPhoneosis, from Apple constantly advertising that there's an application for that. Granted there are unique applications, but a lot of things can be done without an application.

I see people complain that their bank doesn't have an application for WP, well their bank probably has a mobile webpage that works great. I see people ask for an expense tracker, when anyone could make a simple excel spreadsheet that does the same thing. There are many sites on the web that give extremely simplistic instructions on creating an excel spreadsheet. If you're looking for internet radio stations or internet TV stations, all you have to do is an internet search; you really don't need an application for that.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo