Updates and Battery

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi.

About a week ago, I phone suddenly started draining battery real quick, I had a bunch of applications so without a second thought, I reset my phone (In about phone>Reset phone). After reseting, I quickly used SysApp Pusher to get the updates for extra+info, display, network+, etc (BTW these settings after the update allowed me to have block calls and sms, glance peek and stuff). And downloaded verified popular applications which I knew from the beginning didn't brain battery. Now, after updating the mentioned system settings, I didn't get the update which assigned alphabets in the app list (when I swipe left from start screen) (Like A - Then the apps starting with A, B then the apps starting with B and so on.), I thought I would wait for that update but it didn't come at all. Also, now again the battery was draining faster than normal but not faster before the reset I mentioned above. I thought it could be because of not getting updates by the store and force updating my settings, so I reset my phone again (That is yesterday) and I thought I would wait for the updates to arrive from the store itself. However, I still haven't got the updates while the first time I started the phone and previous time I had reset the phone, I had got the updates in a few hours.
However, I have updated the Here apps and Nokia photography apps. Yet again, the battery issue has started, although different from last time. When I am not using whatsapp and whats new in peoples hub (they are the only thing I have used so far after the reset), the battery doesn't decrease at all, it stayed at 100% for more than 4 hours. However, when I checked what's new in people's hub for about 5-6 minutes, the battery dropped from 100% to 94%. And when I used whatsapp for another 5 minutes, it dropped to 88% from 94%. I don't think thats normal..

Now, what I think could be the reason is that I am using updated applications (that is here stuff, nokia photography stuff, whatsapp, skype, UC browser, bing weather, and other apps) on a relatively outdated firmware (I have Lumia Amber but it still lacks stuff such as block calls, glance peek, display updates, networ+ updates, extra+info and stuff like that) and therefore the above mentioned apps are not optimised for the previous Amber Update.(more like are optimised for the final Lumia Amber or the new Lumia black). If thats the case however, why did I lose battery before the first reset?

If it was issue with my battery I doubt it would have lasted 4 hours without losing 0% charge, if you think however thats the case, let me know. I am new to WP and smartphone world.

My phone - Nokia Lumia 620
About - Windows Phone 8
OS Version - 8.0.10328.78
firmware revision versionL 3046.0000.1329.2001

Lumia Info -

Lumia Amber

Accessories Agent 2.5.3.3
Feedback to Nikia 2.4.0.4
Nokia First Use Experience 1.5.1.1
SMS vCard Receiver 1.2.0.1
Warrenty Registration 1.1.0.4
Sim Unlock 1.0.0.5

(As you see, mine is not the completely updated Lumia Amber version)

TL:DR - After heavy battery drainage, I reset my phone and instead of waiting for all the settings updates (of Lumia Amber) I forcefully updated them via SysApp Pusher and updated all app I knew were okay. I still had heavy drainage so I reset again and thought I would wait for the update from the store however I still updated IM, photography and map applications. It doesn't drain battery (drains normally) when I am not using Whatsapp or checking updates in whats new in people's hub, but when I do, it drains very very fast, about 6% in 6 mins.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I could wait for all the updates and GDR3 Lumia Black update, but should I go have it checked at Nokia Care?

EDIT - Its not only that, it also drains battery pretty quick when I get notifications from whatsapp.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought it on Dec 6th 2013, so its relatively new. Thanks for letting me know about the battery functioning! :)

I now updated the system settings by Nokia and the previous issue seems to have fixed (that is low battery life). I haven't tested using applications and how much battery they drain. I still don't have alphabetical sorting in the app list (when swiping left to start screen), any idea how do I get that? :/

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought it on Dec 6th 2013, so its relatively new. Thanks for letting me know about the battery functioning! :)

I now updated the system settings by Nokia and the previous issue seems to have fixed (that is low battery life). I haven't tested using applications and how much battery they drain. I still don't have alphabetical sorting in the app list (when swiping left to start screen), any idea how do I get that? :/

the alphabets appear after you have 45 apps, including system apps like settings, alarms etc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos