Re-setup authenticator app after hard reset?

bellamyCK

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I just did a hard reset on my Lumia 920 this afternoon. After setting up my phone, I installed the authenticator app from the store, added my outlook account by using the app password on the website. ( I already turned on two-step verification few weeks ago)
But now there is a problem, the code which generated by the app cannot be used to log in?? I signed in my account by using the backup email, then go to Account setting -> Security info tab. There is an option to remove the Authenticator app, but when i click on it, it always brings me back to the Overview tab? Does anyone know how to fix this?
Just checked and the option Turn off two-step verification isn't working either.

Last edited:

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I just did a hard reset on my Lumia 920 this afternoon. After setting up my phone, I installed the authenticator app from the store, added my outlook account by using the app password on the website.
But now there is a problem, the code which generated by the app cannot be used to log in?? I signed in my account by using the backup email, then go to Account setting -> Security info tab. There is an option to remove the Authenticator app, but when i click on it, it always brings me back to the Overview tab? Does anyone know how to fix this?
Just checked and the option Turn off two-step verification isn't working either.

Turn off two-step verification first, than turn it on again. Set it as if you are configuring authenticator afresh.
I think it should do.

bellamyCK

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Turn off two-step verification first, than turn it on again. Set it as if you are configuring authenticator afresh.
I think it should do.
Thanks, but the problem is I already turned on two-step verification few weeks ago, then I do the reset, and now I cannot turn if off, it always goes to the Overview page when I click Turn off two-step verification or Remove Authenticator app.

John-MarkG

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
None of the above worked for me to resolve the same problem. Here's what did:

Short version: App needs to be set up as if it were a new installation (which essentially it is, since the reset deleted the configuration data).

Detailed Steps:

1. Go to your Microsoft account through the sign in page.

2. From the "Hello" page find and click "Manage advanced security,"

3. Scroll down to the section headed "Identity Verification apps," and click on the "Set up" link.

4. Make sure Windows Phone is selected, and click "Next."

5. Open the Authenticator app on your phone, and click "+" at the bottom of the screen to add your account.

6. Enter the email address linked to your Microsoft account in the "Account Name" field.

7. Click the "camera" icon and scan the code on your computer screen.

The app should almost immediately start generating code numbers. You can verify that the app is working by backing out of the app and restarting it.

Kelly Morrison

Jul 11, 2018
Visit site
None of the above worked for me to resolve the same problem. Here's what did:

Short version: App needs to be set up as if it were a new installation (which essentially it is, since the reset deleted the configuration data).

Detailed Steps:

1. Go to your Microsoft account through the sign in page.

2. From the "Hello" page find and click "Manage advanced security,"

3. Scroll down to the section headed "Identity Verification apps," and click on the "Set up" link.

4. Make sure Windows Phone is selected, and click "Next."

5. Open the Authenticator app on your phone, and click "+" at the bottom of the screen to add your account.

6. Enter the email address linked to your Microsoft account in the "Account Name" field.

7. Click the "camera" icon and scan the code on your computer screen.

The app should almost immediately start generating code numbers. You can verify that the app is working by backing out of the app and restarting it.

John, thank you for your help. The way into the security through Office 365 has changed slightly, but using your advice generally, I was able to access the QR Code and re-add my works account. Thank you for helping where our IT Dept failed!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3