Operation #MobileEquality: Let's Convince Companies to Bring Apps to Windows Phone

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
This thread is about the #MobileEquality online social movement. Please read below for details and then head to the official Twitter account (@MobileEquality)

A few months ago we organized an online social movement (the #SaveXboxWP movement, described here) to encourage the development of Xbox games on Windows Phone. The movement has had a lot of success on Twitter, garnering replies from Microsoft Studios, Ubisoft, and others.

In light of Tinder recently forcing Microsoft to remove Rudy Huyn's excellent 6tindr 3rd-party substitute from the Store, I think it's a good idea to start a similar, but more general, movement to encourage companies that don't currently have official apps on Windows Phone to support the platform. In the past, other users and I have used the #MobileEquality hashtag to call out companies like Grindr and Geico to port their iOS and Android apps over to Windows Phone. Using this hashtag enables us to keep track of the tweets of other WPcentral activists, regardless of what company they are calling out, and re-tweet them in support.

WPcentral has recently given a lot of attention to the 'app problem' as well. Feel free to post below the Twitter handles of companies you want to call out, and then feel free to search Twitter for #MobileEquality to re-tweet your comrades' tweets too.

Update: All of the online pressure seems to have knocked some sense into Tinder: they are now working with Rudy to make an official Tinder app for Windows Phone. Given this success story, we think it's a good idea to target other companies, but with a uniform attack strategy in which we all tweet at a particular target for greater effect. I will update this post here with the current target as it changes.

Current Target: All companies are fair game. Feel free to tweet to them asking them to make a Windows Phone app. Be sure to include #MobileEquality in your tweet. Remember, at any time you can click this link to search directly for other #MobileEquality tweets.

Last edited:

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
This is a nice move. :)
@ZyngaGames
I would really like if Zynga improved the quality of their games on WP. Somebody please contact them I dont use twitter so I can't make the request :-(

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
This is a nice move. :)
@ZyngaGames
I would really like if Zynga improved the quality of their games on WP. Somebody please contact them I dont use twitter so I can't make the request :-(

Well, why dont you just sign up for Twitter, where is the problem? I only use Twitter for WP stuff, don't have any followers or friends. Come join us :)

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Bottom line is developers are not interested in native WP8 apps in comparison to iOS or Android. They will look at marketshare, then look at the amount of time required to build it. It's just isn't worth it. I think HTML5 is going to be good for WP8 and BB10. For example, https://m.hmvdigital.ca/ pretty much feels like an app. MS should include an Android runtime just like BlackBerry 10. I have Amazon App World, Google Play(snap), and other cesspool android markets like 1mobile. I'm not a big app user myself, but it's nice to have Google Maps on my device, and the option of installing 99% of the Android apps on my phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Z30 using Tapatalk.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Rudy was keen on #save6tindr. I'll go with that in that case
The problem with that is that it is limited to just 6tindr. There are thousands of more companies snubbing Windows Phone than just Tinder, so why limit it to just them? Regardless, you do know that you can include more than one hashtag in a tweet, right? Why not use both #save6tindr and #MobileEquality?

Bottom line is developers are not interested in native WP8 apps in comparison to iOS or Android. They will look at marketshare, then look at the amount of time required to build it. It's just isn't worth it.

Rudy has shown that a one-man team can make a quality app in just a few weeks time, so I don't sympathize with any company who says it takes too much time and resources to make an app. If they don't want to do it, toss a few grand towards Rudy or another developer and let him make it for you.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Because twitter pretty much sucks. A few well written posts on popular weblogs would do a lot more.

Sorry, but a few blog posts will be nowhere near as effective as having a ton of people continually dinging the Twitter accounts of companies. Twitter is way more popular than any blog out there, it's more public, and we can be sure that the companies we are targeting are actually getting the message (because it dings their accounts every time you write @Tinder, for instance, and every time it's re-tweeted). Twitter is definitely the way to go with campaigns like these.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, why dont you just sign up for Twitter, where is the problem? I only use Twitter for WP stuff, don't have any followers or friends. Come join us :)
While in this case it is a noble cause, some of us don't like Insta-Face-Twitagram or any other so called "social networking" and aren't interested in the slightest.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
While in this case it is a noble cause, some of us don't like Insta-Face-Twitagram or any other so called "social networking" and aren't interested in the slightest.

So how about emailing, telephoning, or hand-writing letters of complaint to these companies instead? While Twitter is definitely the easiest and most effective, it wouldn't hurt to attack them from all sides.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So how about emailing, telephoning, or hand-writing letters of complaint to these companies instead? While Twitter is definitely the easiest and most effective, it wouldn't hurt to attack them from all sides.

E-mails normally lead to automated responses, or at least a clueless person working behind a desk. (Stephen Elop is an exception.)
Phone calls? If it's large enough, chances are they're outsourcing it to the Philippines/India.
I don't really think letters are effective either. The letter may arrive several weeks late, rendering it ineffective (and considering the fact that I'm in the Philippines, this is the norm, so np can do.)

They're all worth a shot. I personally know some companies that actually respond to these

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
E-mails normally lead to automated responses, or at least a clueless person working behind a desk. (Stephen Elop is an exception.)
Phone calls? If it's large enough, chances are they're outsourcing it to the Philippines/India.
I don't really think letters are effective either. The letter may arrive several weeks late, rendering it ineffective (and considering the fact that I'm in the Philippines, this is the norm, so np can do.)

They're all worth a shot. I personally know some companies that actually respond to these

It's pretty obvious when you get an automated response. That being said, I haven't seen many companies that seem to actually respond, without it being an automated response.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem emailing a company to show my support of WP. I don't have an interest in a lot of these apps though. While I'm fine with the general concept of getting more apps to help grow the platform I just don't get all the clamoring for these trendy, flavor of the week apps regardless of the platform. I also agree with Wandering Traveler's assessments. Have you actually emailed or called a large company lately? It usually leads to anger and frustration because that's exactly what they want. They don't want to help you. That will cost them money.

Last edited:

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you actually emailed or called a large company lately? It usually leads to anger and frustration because that's exactly what they want. They don't to help you. That will cost them money.

Which is why I recommended Twitter: it's fast (takes a few seconds to compose a tweet) and public (everyone else can see it), which makes the company more likely to address or respond to the issue, because they don't want bad publicity. Twitter and Facebook are the greatest things to happen to customer service since the 30-day exchange policy became standard.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Which is why I recommended Twitter: it's fast (takes a few seconds to compose a tweet) and public (everyone else can see it), which makes the company more likely to address or respond to the issue, because they don't want bad publicity. Twitter and Facebook are the greatest things to happen to customer service since the 30-day exchange policy became standard.
Except that I think social networking is dumb and don't want any part of it. I'll just have to go to old school (email) when I feel the need to bug a company.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb