Usefulness of the tiles?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles and the minimalistic design of Windows Phone sometimes just don't match.

This can be easily seen on the message tile for example. It shows exactly the same information on small and on medium. If I really want an informative tile I have to use it in the largest form. There's just no advantage of the medium sized tile over the small one. And this is of course because a message preview would look ugly on a medium sized tile.

The built in calendar is another example, it would just not match the other tiles design-wise if there were some useful information on it. Therefore we have to use an alternative app with enough information, but with a less appealing look.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
...the message tile...shows exactly the same information on small and on medium.
It's true that Microsoft's standard "iconic template" only allows for a count in the small and medium sizes, but there are other template types available to independent developers. Microsoft has access to even more types, as shown by the calendar tile, which does show your next appointment in the medium size, and things like the Music and Games tiles.

Sometimes users don't want more info. I just switched from a wide tile for email to a standard one because what I wanted was a big number staring at me when there's mail. I'm going to tap the email icon no matter who sent something. All I want is a notice that I need to do so -- the number lets me know if there's something big happening at work (generating lots of emails) or not. Making that "severity level indicator" number as big as possible was my motivation reverting to the medium size.

Larger-screened devices will take some of the pressure off of use of wide tiles. And I wish that MS would create a 1.5x wide tile that displayed the same info as the 2x wide tile, but with less of the text showing (since there'd be less room.) This wouldn't impact developers because the tiles would remain "iconic tile templates". It would impact users because the user would need to cycle through four sizes when adjusting tiles. Is that a good idea? At what point is the number of choices/options more of a pain than a gain?

[Added later] I just thought of a possible interesting idea. What if users could tap the resize button as they do now to cycle through the standard sizes OR if users could drag the resize button to select any size that's a whole number of small tiles in width and height? This super-flexible sizing would only be available for tiles based on the "iconic tile templates" because those are the only ones that don't have an image associated with them (image distortion or cropping could be bad). Maybe the text that's seen in the wide format is only visible when the tile is at least 3 small tiles wide???

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
...there should be a way for us to *interact* with the tiles in meaningful ways...
What you're describing is what some Android widgets provide. I don't see that coming to Windows Phone because of the UI element size limitations imposed by the interaction guidelines. Essentially, no buttons, checkbox, or other element that's supposed to be touchable can be smaller than 11mm (7mm for the object with a 2mm margin/gap around it).

On a 4.5" device, the 3-column Start screen isn't available. I suspect that it's because the smallest tile size would be below the size limit, rendering it too small to be reliably used by a general audience (i.e., there'd be too many mis-taps of the other tiles around it).

Such controls could "fit" in a wide tile, but they'd make interacting with the tile more challenging because the tile itself needs to remain touchable. Essentially, you'd have a button on top of a button with no "dead space" between them. Unless you made the tile itself non-reactive to touch and added another button for launching the app. Now, you'd have an OS with two fundamentally different kinds of tiles. I don't see MS doing that.

That said, they're pretty bright folks and they might come up with something.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think the new Samsung G5 with its windows-like look is going to be a game changer for Android/Samsung (not that they need it). I'm not sure WP will be able to make any headway despite all the predictions that this year will be the year of WP. I'm not convinced. So are Tiles useful? Ask Samsung...I think you'll have your answer.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the new Samsung G5 with its windows-like look is going to be a game changer for Android/Samsung (not that they need it). I'm not sure WP will be able to make any headway despite all the predictions that this year will be the year of WP. I'm not convinced. So are Tiles useful? Ask Samsung...I think you'll have your answer.

HTC has a tiled style UI on the One as well. It is funny that everybody initially ripped on Windows Phone's UI, but everybody seems to be mimicking it these days. Samsung's UI looks like metro, but it doesn't have the functionality of metro. I think Google is trying to pull back on the UI changes, with Nexus branding, and the stock Android UI in the Moto phones. I wonder if Google will try to rein Samsung in over time.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
It's true that Microsoft's standard "iconic template" only allows for a count in the small and medium sizes, but there are other template types available to independent developers. Microsoft has access to even more types, as shown by the calendar tile, which does show your next appointment in the medium size, and things like the Music and Games tiles.

Sometimes users don't want more info. I just switched from a wide tile for email to a standard one because what I wanted was a big number staring at me when there's mail. I'm going to tap the email icon no matter who sent something. All I want is a notice that I need to do so -- the number lets me know if there's something big happening at work (generating lots of emails) or not. Making that "severity level indicator" number as big as possible was my motivation reverting to the medium size.

Larger-screened devices will take some of the pressure off of use of wide tiles. And I wish that MS would create a 1.5x wide tile that displayed the same info as the 2x wide tile, but with less of the text showing (since there'd be less room.) This wouldn't impact developers because the tiles would remain "iconic tile templates". It would impact users because the user would need to cycle through four sizes when adjusting tiles. Is that a good idea? At what point is the number of choices/options more of a pain than a gain?

[Added later] I just thought of a possible interesting idea. What if users could tap the resize button as they do now to cycle through the standard sizes OR if users could drag the resize button to select any size that's a whole number of small tiles in width and height? This super-flexible sizing would only be available for tiles based on the "iconic tile templates" because those are the only ones that don't have an image associated with them (image distortion or cropping could be bad). Maybe the text that's seen in the wide format is only visible when the tile is at least 3 small tiles wide???
Microsoft should add what's needed to make 'Smart Tiles' possible. Though it'd be interesting if one can interact with specific tiles via air gestures.

nickdu

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Nick - post a screenshot here and folks will be more than happy to offer you tips to make your experience with the WP8 system better.
If I knew how to take a screen shot on a windows phone I might. I'm sure with just a little searching I can figure that out. However, the screen I was describing in my original post can be easily visualized. Three full width tiles, phone, email and messaging. That's it. However, after reading all the useful posts I've decided to change things around a bit and see what usefulness I can stumble upon.

The one suggestion that should be useful to me is moving a contact, my wife, onto my start page. I don't have a picture of her so it just shows the name. I wanted a small tile and the full name, which I'm displaying as last name, first name didn't look too good. I figured if I specified the nickname as just her first name that the small tile might pick that up instead. It didn't. Unfortunately I had to change her contact to just use her first name.

Thanks,
Nick

nickdu

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Question for you, why the 520 and not the 920 as a starting place?
I could pick up the 520 new for $60 at the Microsoft Store. I put it on a cheap carrier which runs on at&t's network. That seemed the cheapest way to test out a decent nokia windows phone.

Thanks,
Nick

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Verizon customer but purchased a 520 from the Microsoft site since it was so cheap. I put it on a cheap carrier that runs over at&t's network. I figured this was a cheap way to give it a try. It all works.

I could pick up the 520 new for $60 at the Microsoft Store. I put it on a cheap carrier which runs on at&t's network. That seemed the cheapest way to test out a decent nokia windows phone.

Thanks,
Nick

You did or you could ?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If I knew how to take a screen shot on a windows phone I might. I'm sure with just a little searching I can figure that out. However, the screen I was describing in my original post can be easily visualized. Three full width tiles, phone, email and messaging. That's it. However, after reading all the useful posts I've decided to change things around a bit and see what usefulness I can stumble upon.
worldspy99 provided a link in their post.
Take a screenshot | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

teddystiles

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I think I would use my live tiles more if they would update. They never update unless I start that app - then they update with the information I just saw, making them largely useless. They USED to work, and I don't remember having this problem way back in Windows Phone 7. I'm sure it's a settings issue, but trying to figure out the whole "background tasks" settings page is a nightmare.

parez81

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The way i have step is i have all my messaging apps (whatsapp,text,istangram,groupme,linked mailbox,facebook message pinned from app,snapchat) as small tiles on the top. I dont want to see details. Just the notifications.
Along with those apps i also have add new note pinned from one note, xbox music and pandora small tile

Then i have full wide tile of True calendar 8. It shows next 4 meetings from all my calendars. The next one is full wide weather tile with current temp and the back tile is next 5 days (Amazing Weather HD)

After that i have Gtasks plus full wide tile that shows my pending gmail tasks.

After that all frequently used apps.

parez81

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I think I would use my live tiles more if they would update. They never update unless I start that app - then they update with the information I just saw, making them largely useless. They USED to work, and I don't remember having this problem way back in Windows Phone 7. I'm sure it's a settings issue, but trying to figure out the whole "background tasks" settings page is a nightmare.

I have had the problem before. Factory reset definitely fixes it.

supervoid

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
So I'll be honest, I didn't read through the entire thread, just the original post and a couple of random replies as I worked my way to the "Reply" button. But, my mind was blown that this is even a discussion. I guess it's probably similar to a discussion that was had a hundred years ago when someone first decided to put doors on a car! "What's the point when I can get into the car and drive it either way?" I can probably come up with a number of better analogies, but I shudder at the thought that live tiles are perceived as pointless just because many developers are too lazy to implement them properly and many users don't understand how to be more efficient.

When I look at e-mail, calendar, and weather apps between my Windows Phone and an iPhone, it's a no-brainer that live tiles are the superior way to deliver data to the user. Why should I have to touch my phone more than once to see some basic information like the sender and subject of that work e-mail that just came in while I was on my lunch break? Certainly, there are poor implementations of the live tile, but the idea that the feature is the same or inferior to having simple icons really doesn't make any at all.

In conclusion...duh, of course live tiles are useful if they're implemented properly. And the idea of switching back to a phone that doesn't have that option all seems like a major step backwards to me.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually find my live tiles useful, but not super handy. I have my start screen setup so that all the things that I use/check the most are closest to the top i.e. my calendar, People Hub, and social networking apps. I do agree with others that the updating of tiles is rather hit and miss sometimes, and that developers could make greater use of the live tiles; some apps like Bing Weather and Budget Buddy really offer the 'live tile' experience; that is, you can quickly glance at the widgets and go. I do have a lot of apps pinned to start, as I often find it is quicker to organise the start screen into "sections" rather than hunt and peck through the app list. I think if developers were allowed more consistent and instantaneous notifications, and users were allowed to manually refresh or clear live tiles (as sometimes after you open the app the live tile doesn't update), then there would be more of a reason for both users and developers to use live tiles. As I've said with some of my previous posts, WP8 and Windows 8/8.1 is just the start, and things will get radically better as they find out better ways of doing things

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
-Nick, if you don't see any real differences between the UI's then you should probably use a flip phone, will save you some money on devices and possibly even a very cheap plan as you probably won't notice any UI differences either.

I can't really give any good advice for ya because that one sentence right there is pretty outrageous and it wouldn't be worth my time if that's the actual truth unless you are a ******, as what your saying sounds very ******'ish unless you have a hard time with vision, not an insult but if a person can't see then a person can't see like a blind person who I mean no disrespect against. But you can't be blind if you're typing unless someone is typing for you. Either way if you see no real differences then this thread is over after that one sentence and should be closed.

Only thing I can suggest is don't waste money on expensive phones as you'll probably not see any differences... And the Lumia 520 is the cheapest possible windows phone you can get, if the over priced iPhone doesn't have better call quality than the 520, I'm about to blog on every smartphone war site I can find.

Last thing I'll say is do some research, you can very easily answer your questions from online but if you see no UI differences, I just have no idea how to help you.

Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss