What new phone should I opt for?

percy percy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I hope you can help me. I've owned a Lumia 800 for nearly 2 years now and I love it but it's time to move and I'd like your advice on what to do next.

I'm on T Mobile in the UK and I don't particularly want to switch unless I have to - they usually offer me a good deal when I upgrade. But what do I upgrade to?
T Mobile currently only carry the 520, 625 and the 1020. I'm looking for something more mid-range. Do I wait until Nokia release some more mid-range phones and then hope that T Mobile carry them? Or would you advise me to jump ship and try another carrier. And if so, what mid-range Windows phones would you suggest? Also, aren't T Mobile, EE and Orange all related now, and if so, maybe I could choose from EE and Orange's range too, giving me more options?

Many thanks for listening.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If you want a midrange phone i think the best choice is the 920 or 820...but still 1020 is a good choice to buy if you dont mind paying a bit more...

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
As you said, Orange, EE and T-Mobile are all lumped together now, so any phone from those networks will work with a T-Mobile SIM - I myself have a contract with Virgin Mobile but I am using an Orange Pay as you Go 920, since Virgin uses the same signal and masts.

If you can get a 920 on Orange or EE, I suggest you go for that. The 920 is a fabulous device and will not let you down; the wireless charging capability is fantastic and the phone is built like a tank. I've had mine for almost a year now and it hasn't let me down once, no reboots, no freezes, just no lag or stutter and great battery life and camera.

I would suggest calling T-Mobile's customer services and see what you can wrangle. They will do anything to keep you as you are a paying customer, and they have people on their customer service lines who are paid commission to keep customers who might end up leaving. Simply tell them you want to renew your contract and stick with Windows Phone, but none of what they are offering interest you, but say you believe that the 920 is available on Orange and EE.

Either that or go for the 1020 on your upgrade, sell it in your local classifieds or on Ebay and use the money to buy a 920 unlocked from Tesco Online, which can be had for a mere ?220, which is a lot of smartphone for the money.

Buy SIM Free Unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 Black from our SIM Free Phones range - Tesco.com

percy percy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Quick update - t mobile weren't very helpful when I rang them, so I've taken alex's advice and ordered the 920 unlocked from Tesco. Am very excited.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Nope. All these suggestion are great. But I can tell you. My first Lumia 925 with t-mobile is priceless. You should grab the NL925. I can say no problem going on 6 months. But consider I am in Bronx NY. Don't know if this a factor.

percy percy

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I now have a brand new Nokia Lumia 920. I have spent most of the evening playing with it. I have a few questions to ask you good people if you don't mind.

Firstly, how do I know if my phone has all the most recent updates? - Lumia Black etc. Is there one place I can go to check?

Secondly, as I am new to WP 8, is there anything I need to know that is different from WP7?

3. I have managed to transfer my text message and contacts. Can I also transfer my photos? And what about my WP 7 apps. Some I paid money for so I'd be reluctant to buy them again. Is there a way i could transfer them onto my new phone?

And lastly, talking of apps, could you let me know, or at the very least provide a link to, the must-have WP8 apps that I maybe didn't have on my previous WP7 phone.

Many thanks.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I now have a brand new Nokia Lumia 920. I have spent most of the evening playing with it. I have a few questions to ask you good people if you don't mind.

Firstly, how do I know if my phone has all the most recent updates? - Lumia Black etc. Is there one place I can go to check?

Secondly, as I am new to WP 8, is there anything I need to know that is different from WP7?

3. I have managed to transfer my text message and contacts. Can I also transfer my photos? And what about my WP 7 apps. Some I paid money for so I'd be reluctant to buy them again. Is there a way i could transfer them onto my new phone?

And lastly, talking of apps, could you let me know, or at the very least provide a link to, the must-have WP8 apps that I maybe didn't have on my previous WP7 phone.

Many thanks.
For updates you go Settings > Phone update >check for updates. I'm afraid that your apps from WP7 won't transfer to WP8 since it's a whole new OS. So you might have to pay for those again, but I could be wrong.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Many thanks.
For updates you go Settings > Phone update >check for updates. I'm afraid that your apps from WP7 won't transfer to WP8 since it's a whole new OS. So you might have to pay for those again, but I could be wrong.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
1. Settings, extras + info.
Settings, about
2. Rooms, kids corner, glance screen, ...
3. You can at least copy the WP 7 photos to a computer and then to the WP 8. The apps are tied to your ms account so the store will remember that you bought them

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
LOL! How did I manage to duplicate that post???
Actually, if you go to windowsphone.com on the top right corner click/tap on "Explore" then sign in, you should be able to see your app purchase history. Who knows, you might be able to resend those apps that you already purchase to your new phone. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster