Delayed Push Notifications, IM Apps Push Notifications Delay

clivechen

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Greetings to the people of the Windows Phone community.

As of yesterday I have been experiencing delayed push notifications on WeChat and WhatsApp, anyone else experiencing similar problems?

I wonder if this is a common problem faced by Windows Phone users or is MPNS (Microsoft Push Notification Service) at fault here. The problem cannot be with the app server as both apps are from different developers.

Thank you in anticipation and your guidance is greatly appreciated.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You may find this helpful - Push notifications for Windows Phone

Although MPNS could be at fault here, if apps are designed correctly to re-ping the server to push undelivered notifications, this wouldn't happen. When mobile phone fails to have consistent connectivity, MPNS may fail to deliver the notification but if apps were to contact server immediately when they know notifications did not push, we would have them with lesser delay.

This is an interesting read as well for anyone trying to understand why "toasts are lost" in WP at times with certain apps - Push Notification Service response codes for Windows Phone
Message delivery code number 5 there explains a lot.

clivechen

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
You may find this helpful - Push notifications for Windows Phone

Although MPNS could be at fault here, if apps are designed correctly to re-ping the server to push undelivered notifications, this wouldn't happen. When mobile phone fails to have consistent connectivity, MPNS may fail to deliver the notification but if apps were to contact server immediately when they know notifications did not push, we would have them with lesser delay.

This is an interesting read as well for anyone trying to understand why "toasts are lost" in WP at times with certain apps - Push Notification Service response codes for Windows Phone
Message delivery code number 5 there explains a lot.

Excellent read! Thanks a lot. I sure help the issue will be resolved soon. It was fine until yesterday.

Could the fault lie with the carrier as well? I had one instance whereby when I woke the phone, text messages and instant messages all came at once.

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad to know this type of behaviour isn't normal. I just got an ATIV S activated on Friday and have spent most of the weekend wondering why when I get a Twitter menion, it takes anywhere from 20-40 minutes for my phone to realise it when my old BlackBerry 9900 used to know instantly. I hope it's true that this is a problem on Microsoft's end that will be resolved. Notifications that operate as slowly as I've been experiencing are borderline useless. :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to know this type of behaviour isn't normal. I just got an ATIV S activated on Friday and have spent most of the weekend wondering why when I get a Twitter menion, it takes anywhere from 20-40 minutes for my phone to realise it when my old BlackBerry 9900 used to know instantly. I hope it's true that this is a problem on Microsoft's end that will be resolved. Notifications that operate as slowly as I've been experiencing are borderline useless. :)

Are you using the official twitter app? It is very instantaneous on that one. All other apps rubbish. Indeed Twitter was the first app to show how its done correctly. Twitter, Facebook and Skype are mostly on the spot with it.

However, allowing phone to only ping back once every 15-30 mins makes sure that your battery isn't sacrificed. People do like the option either way and big, penultimate hopes are for WP8.1 to be what W8.1 was for Windows and Jellybean was for Android.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
yea I've been getting delayed notification on Line as well. thought it was the app at first but this thread may have something to do with it.

Everard Onggon

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I also get delayed notification from WeChat, Viber, Instagram, Facebook, and even Skype. I hope Microsoft fix this issue because it is really annoying that you get the notifications very late. It is also frustrating that it also happens in Viber calls that there are times that I don't get a call notification, and then a missed call notification will appear just because of delayed notification. That is so annoying.
I'm currently waiting for the Windows Phone 8.1 update to check if they already resolved the issue. If not, I have no choice but to switch back to Android. Notifications should be in real-time. It can be delayed as long as the delay is in my acceptable bracket (less than a minute).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos