So I have the Nokia Lumia 920 and it has a fabulous PureView lens. The pictures taken are very good, but Facebook uploads are very poor.

Recently I checked a pic uploaded from the phone to Facebook and the quality was so bad. My old Android phone uploads better quality pics on Facebook. However the photo taken by the Windows Phone is far better, but when uploading to Facebook the photo is massively compressed.

Any option to disable the same? The main reason of getting the Lumia 920 was the PureView lens for awesome images and so I want to be able to share full quality pics.
    01-26-2014 06:50 AM
    Maybe try using different Facebook apps.
    01-26-2014 08:01 AM
    Its a common problem on all devices and all OS due Facebooks own comprassion algorithm. They want to save space ergo keep the site fast so they lower the quality of any uploaded photos, even if you check the box for "High Quality" they will downsample it, so it wont be as crisp as the original. I strongly recommend not using Facebook as your main source of image storage, not that they will just destroy your photos they also remove the EXIF data.

You have few options to modify the quality and format yourself and then upload it, PNG at 959px wide and 479px h max should give you better results but the quality loss will still be present.
    01-26-2014 08:04 AM
    Are you using the Facebook app or the native sharing functionality?

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    01-26-2014 08:14 AM
    Its a common problem on all devices and all OS due Facebooks own comprassion algorithm. They want to save space ergo keep the site fast so they lower the quality of any uploaded photos, even if you check the box for "High Quality" they will downsample it, so it wont be as crisp as the original. I strongly recommend not using Facebook as your main source of image storage, not that they will just destroy your photos they also remove the EXIF data.

You have few options to modify the quality and format yourself and then upload it, PNG at 959px wide and 479px h max should give you better results but the quality loss will still be present.
    No, that's not the problem. There is a huge difference in quality when uploading from phone and when transferring the photo from phone to PC using USB cable and then uploading it from PC.

And I wanna share pictures with my social circle on Facebook, so there is no other platform useful for me. And I'm pretty sure its a WP related thing as the same pic when uploaded from PC has brilliant quality.

Maybe try using different Facebook apps.
    Like?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-26-2014 08:16 AM
    There is zero difference but clearly you know it better :D

Your social circle hahaha can see your photos if you link them to your skydrive or flickr too, i guess you wont recive a million likes then right?
    01-26-2014 08:34 AM
    There is zero difference but clearly you know it better :D

You social circle hahaha can see your photos if you link them to your skydrive or flickr too, i guess you wont recive a million likes then right?
    No, there is no zero difference. The difference is huge and it's clearly visible. The biggest proving point being that when I view photos uploaded from WP on my laptop's browser, they aren't even full screen however the same pic when uploaded using PC takes up the full screen and is much, much clear.

And it's not about likes and comments. It's about the ease of use. I don't use the WP, my mom does. And I want everything to be simple and normal for her. I want the pictures to be uploaded on Facebook and not on third party services like Flickr.

I hope someone actually helps me out on this. The quality of pics uploaded from phone is really bad and it's a shame for a phone having such a good camera.

01-26-2014 08:41 AM
    If you use the built in integration to upload, the quality will be crap. Use the Facebook app.
    01-26-2014 08:55 AM
    If you use the built in integration to upload, the quality will be crap. Use the Facebook app.
    Why is it so that the built in integration is so bad and any way to change the setting?
    And are you sure that using the Facebook app will sort out the issue?

01-26-2014 09:09 AM
    Why is it so that the built in integration is so bad and any way to change the setting?
    And are you sure that using the Facebook app will sort out the issue?

I think with built in integration they focused on speed a little too much. Remember, this was way back in 2010 when Facebook itself was pretty old. Facebook has evolved a lot since then. The integration in Windows Phone however has not. It's the exact same thing as in Windows Phone 7.
    I've not compared same images with an iOS and Windows Phone app so I don't know how two platforms perform, but I have noticed that uploading from the Facebook app on Windows Phone is definitely of a higher quality than built in integration.
    01-26-2014 09:31 AM
    I'm facing the same issue since I purchased the Lumia 1020 more than one year ago ! Before I used to have the 808 PureView under Symbian and it used to have a dedicated album in facebook and quality was good.
    The strange thing is that not many people seems to complain about this while it's so obvious and so disappointing ! Even Instagram show a better quality...
    12-21-2014 04:15 AM