Understanding "TRY" version of apps/games

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I just downloaded a game called Strata from the WP8 store. Since I just got my Lumia 1320, I haven't set up a payment method (and am not sure about doing so since I already invested into iTunes and Google Play).

Anyways, I hit "try". Game downloads, and to my surprise it seems like the full game is there. I played the whole of world 1, and I can play all the other 5 worlds as well. Link: Strata | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

My question is, what does "try" mean? Is it supposed to be a demo of a portion of a game/app, a limited time trial period....or how? And if you download apps/games this way with a payment method setup, do you get billed automatically?

Also, if anyone can answer with regards to the context of the game above that would be cool.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded a game called Strata from the WP8 store. Since I just got my Lumia 1320, I haven't set up a payment method (and am not sure about doing so since I already invested into iTunes and Google Play).

Anyways, I hit "try". Game downloads, and to my surprise it seems like the full game is there. I played the whole of world 1, and I can play all the other 5 worlds as well. Link: Strata | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

My question is, what does "try" mean? Is it supposed to be a demo of a portion of a game/app, a limited time trial period....or how? And if you download apps/games this way with a payment method setup, do you get billed automatically?

Also, if anyone can answer with regards to the context of the game above that would be cool.

It is up to the developer of each game to determine how much a game is limited in a Trial version. For example, the game N.O.V.A lets you only play its first stage in its trial version while Assassin's Creed limits how many times you can open the campaign mode down to 5 or 6 (don't remember correctly)

For strata, i did notice a full version environment. Since there is no log we can only assume how its limiting us. Maybe its a time limit, or it may have more stages in full version

Try means its letting you download a trial version, you have to go back to the store (or build in game 'buy' button) to buy it manually.

himmatsj

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
So wait, you're saying it is possible for devs to "time-limit" trial version of apps as well? So that means they have quite a broad scope to choose how to approach the trial version of their app.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
So that means they have quite a broad scope to choose how to approach the trial version of their app.

Pretty much. A lot of apps/games are free, so you get them by using "try". If you want to remove ads in your app, you "buy" it. The same goes for apps/games that are free with no ads, but you "buy" them just to show your appreciation for the developer.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
At this moment Windows Phone gives no Time trial. So only way to implement it is to store info insode the app, but you can delete it and redownload again. It app doesn't store trial data somewhere else and can detect your device as unique device, it of course won' run . But I don't know the apps with such time trial as you can easily trick it.
Disable access to parts of app or game is up to developer. Some of developers gives full app, but asking to buy it if you like it and willing to support developer.
I am waiting when Microsoft will be able to implement time trial options as they did in Windows 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6