WP8.1 will be primitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 will be primitive by the time it releases... I mean.. C'mon Android went from 4.0.3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 to 4.4 inspite of being a fully matured OS while WP went GDR3 update which if not for Nokia Black wouldn't even be a proper update.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So if MS renamed it 12, skipping everything between it and 8, it would automatically be the most mature out of everything?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol... You're obviously wrong, since WP is at version 8. That is almost twice as mature as Android's 4.4 :-D

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Google tends to use a new version number for any minor update too. What are they on, Chrome 32 or 33 for the browser? Microsoft uses update or gdr numbers so update 1, 2, and 3 Google would have called 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3, and this new release (8.1) would have been called 9.0.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
For me it looks like the majority of the updates for Android since 4.0 have mostly been fine-tuning ("improved" this, reworked that) or happened on levels where most users don't even notice them (added native infrared blaster API) or even pointless at this time (support for 4k resolution).
And it's not like 4.0.4, 4.1.1,... were "proper" updates. You're kinda double-standardizing Android and WP8 here. Like for Android it's ok to have many, many minor updates and WP has to have only big, revolutionizing updates.

Also, I wouldn't go as far as calling Android a fully matured OS. It still has dozens of bugs (most of them because it's not perfectly adopted to the different devices and the OEM user interfaces) which Goolge is trying to fix with all those 4.x.x updates and it still feels to like after all this time it's still "under construction".

CageJ

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Google tends to use a new version number for any minor update too. What are they on, Chrome 32 or 33 for the browser? Microsoft uses update or gdr numbers so update 1, 2, and 3 Google would have called 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3, and this new release (8.1) would have been called 9.0.

you 're wrong. Now is WP at .10512... So its 8.0.1..

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Google is fixing the bugs, very true ... That's cos they've implemented everything. Where is WP8? Where is the notification center? When can we expect cortana ? When will we have Google Now like functionality? Laugh all you can people... Get a grip and look at reality .. WP needs to go big on features ASAP. The time gap between WP8 and WP8.1 for an organization like MS is not acceptable. They should ve made those features available by now.

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just because this is a WP fan site,doesn't mean we can ignore realities.. WP survived because of devices like Lumia 520. There is no way it can compete with Nexus range phones or MotoG for instance. Be complacent and become WebOS/Blackberry

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 will be primitive by the time it releases... I mean.. C'mon Android went from 4.0.3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 to 4.4 inspite of being a fully matured OS while WP went GDR3 update which if not for Nokia Black wouldn't even be a proper update.

With all due respect, are you sure you know the difference between Update 3 and the Lumia Black update?

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
With all due respect, are you sure you know the difference between Update 3 and the Lumia Black update?

for the Lumia Devices GDR3 came as part of Black update... I sure know what it is. If not for the extra features in Black, GDR3 wouldn't have been a worthy update.
Thats what I meant.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just because this is a WP fan site,doesn't mean we can ignore realities

Nobody is ignoring realities. Your first post just wasn't clear, and was almost begging to be taken out of context. Sorry.

Anyway, I think even MS would agree with you. WP is not where it needs to be. It's just that for whatever reasons, they are where they are.

I don't like this topic, because few have even the foggiest idea how large and complex these projects are. I feel the folks at MS do deserve more acknowledgement for the work they do, because it is a lot. Unfortunately, too much of it is "under the hood", which just doesn't cut it for customers, but that possibly just can't be avoided.

At the end of the day, all you can do is vote with your wallet. Complaining here changes nothing. If your patience is up, then you move on. That is all there is to it. I'm giving MS until WP8.1...

andrei_1998

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
He is trying to say that the wp updates exists on Android from a long time ago.
He probably started the thread because he has more expectations from this platform and wants to see a little more from Windows Phone. Don't take this thread as a troll, anyone can have expectations.

Abhinand Jinugu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't like this topic, because few have even the foggiest idea how large and complex these projects are. I feel the folks at MS do deserve more acknowledgement for the work they do, because it is a lot. Unfortunately, too much of it is "under the hood", which just doesn't cut it for customers, but that possibly just can't be avoided.
I agree with you.. but if this can't be avoided then they are only fighting a losing battle.. obviously WP never had the head start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster