01-29-2014 03:23 PM
33 12
tools
    WP8.1 will be primitive by the time it releases... I mean.. C'mon Android went from 4.0.3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 to 4.4 inspite of being a fully matured OS while WP went GDR3 update which if not for Nokia Black wouldn't even be a proper update.
    WINDOW LOVIN likes this.
    01-29-2014 12:02 PM
    Are you saying the version number indicates something about how primitive or mature and update will be?
    01-29-2014 12:10 PM
    Lol this guy. Logic flew out the window when he made that comment :-)
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    01-29-2014 12:21 PM
    So if MS renamed it 12, skipping everything between it and 8, it would automatically be the most mature out of everything?
    01-29-2014 12:30 PM
    lol wtf did I just read
    xandros9, Gergolos and Sakitumi like this.
    01-29-2014 12:34 PM
    I stopped at 'fully matured'. I was laughing to hard.
    Sakitumi likes this.
    01-29-2014 12:37 PM
    Lol... You're obviously wrong, since WP is at version 8. That is almost twice as mature as Android's 4.4 :-D
    01-29-2014 12:39 PM
    Google tends to use a new version number for any minor update too. What are they on, Chrome 32 or 33 for the browser? Microsoft uses update or gdr numbers so update 1, 2, and 3 Google would have called 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3, and this new release (8.1) would have been called 9.0.
    a5cent likes this.
    01-29-2014 12:44 PM
    Lol... You're obviously wrong, since WP is at version 8. That is almost twice as mature as Android's 4.4 :-D
    This, I don't see a problem when WP8 is apparently twice as mature if we just stare at version numbers ;)
    01-29-2014 12:51 PM
    For me it looks like the majority of the updates for Android since 4.0 have mostly been fine-tuning ("improved" this, reworked that) or happened on levels where most users don't even notice them (added native infrared blaster API) or even pointless at this time (support for 4k resolution).
    And it's not like 4.0.4, 4.1.1,... were "proper" updates. You're kinda double-standardizing Android and WP8 here. Like for Android it's ok to have many, many minor updates and WP has to have only big, revolutionizing updates.

Also, I wouldn't go as far as calling Android a fully matured OS. It still has dozens of bugs (most of them because it's not perfectly adopted to the different devices and the OEM user interfaces) which Goolge is trying to fix with all those 4.x.x updates and it still feels to like after all this time it's still "under construction".
    01-29-2014 12:54 PM
    Google tends to use a new version number for any minor update too. What are they on, Chrome 32 or 33 for the browser? Microsoft uses update or gdr numbers so update 1, 2, and 3 Google would have called 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3, and this new release (8.1) would have been called 9.0.
    you 're wrong. Now is WP at .10512... So its 8.0.1..
    01-29-2014 12:56 PM
    Google is fixing the bugs, very true ... That's cos they've implemented everything. Where is WP8? Where is the notification center? When can we expect cortana ? When will we have Google Now like functionality? Laugh all you can people... Get a grip and look at reality .. WP needs to go big on features ASAP. The time gap between WP8 and WP8.1 for an organization like MS is not acceptable. They should ve made those features available by now.
    01-29-2014 01:19 PM
    Just because this is a WP fan site,doesn't mean we can ignore realities.. WP survived because of devices like Lumia 520. There is no way it can compete with Nexus range phones or MotoG for instance. Be complacent and become WebOS/Blackberry
    01-29-2014 01:23 PM
    WP8.1 will be primitive by the time it releases... I mean.. C'mon Android went from 4.0.3, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 to 4.4 inspite of being a fully matured OS while WP went GDR3 update which if not for Nokia Black wouldn't even be a proper update.
    With all due respect, are you sure you know the difference between Update 3 and the Lumia Black update?
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-29-2014 01:23 PM
    With all due respect, are you sure you know the difference between Update 3 and the Lumia Black update?
    for the Lumia Devices GDR3 came as part of Black update... I sure know what it is. If not for the extra features in Black, GDR3 wouldn't have been a worthy update.
    Thats what I meant.
    01-29-2014 01:30 PM
    for the Lumia Devices GDR3 came as part of Black update... I sure know what it is. If not for the extra features in Black, GDR3 wouldn't have been a worthy update.
    Thats what I meant.
    Do enlighten me. What features do you think were introduced by Black?
    01-29-2014 01:34 PM
    If you think Android is so much better than WP, why aren't you changing OS and get an Android smartphone?
    01-29-2014 01:42 PM
    Just because this is a WP fan site,doesn't mean we can ignore realities
    Nobody is ignoring realities. Your first post just wasn't clear, and was almost begging to be taken out of context. Sorry.

Anyway, I think even MS would agree with you. WP is not where it needs to be. It's just that for whatever reasons, they are where they are.

I don't like this topic, because few have even the foggiest idea how large and complex these projects are. I feel the folks at MS do deserve more acknowledgement for the work they do, because it is a lot. Unfortunately, too much of it is "under the hood", which just doesn't cut it for customers, but that possibly just can't be avoided.

At the end of the day, all you can do is vote with your wallet. Complaining here changes nothing. If your patience is up, then you move on. That is all there is to it. I'm giving MS until WP8.1...
    xandros9 likes this.
    01-29-2014 01:53 PM
    He is trying to say that the wp updates exists on Android from a long time ago.
    He probably started the thread because he has more expectations from this platform and wants to see a little more from Windows Phone. Don't take this thread as a troll, anyone can have expectations.
    Sakitumi likes this.
    01-29-2014 01:55 PM
    I don't like this topic, because few have even the foggiest idea how large and complex these projects are. I feel the folks at MS do deserve more acknowledgement for the work they do, because it is a lot. Unfortunately, too much of it is "under the hood", which just doesn't cut it for customers, but that possibly just can't be avoided.
    I agree with you.. but if this can't be avoided then they are only fighting a losing battle.. obviously WP never had the head start
    01-29-2014 02:01 PM
    Alright! Ive always wanted to use a primitive phone. Sticks and Stones and pyramids here we go
    01-29-2014 02:02 PM
    He is trying to say that the wp updates exists on Android from a long time ago.
    He probably started the thread because he has more expectations from this platform and wants to see a little more from Windows Phone. Don't take this thread as a troll, anyone can have expectations.
    It doesn't look like a troll thread. It looks like one of those thousands of whine threads la "Android and iOS have this or that and WP doesn't".
    01-29-2014 02:12 PM
    I agree with you.. but if this can't be avoided then they are only fighting a losing battle.. obviously WP never had the head start
    Well, WP will progress just like every other software project does. Over time, the amount of work done "under the hood" will decrease. If the annual budget stays the same, more people will get transfered to work on features consumers experience more directly. MS just isn't there yet.

One of the reasons MS isn't there yet, is because MS is trying to unify two very different operating systems, both from a developers and a users point of view. That is a ton of "under the hood" work that neither Apple nor Android need to concern themselves with... just as an example...
    01-29-2014 02:19 PM
    Windows Phone 8 are a younger platform than Android who was out with handsets in 2007.
    WP8 was released 2012.

But it got GDR1, GDR2 and GDR3 (update 3) since then :
    Windows Phone 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Android was released in 2012 I doubt if it would have much more updates than Windows Phone 8 in same time period.
    My point are that things take time to develop.
    Sakitumi likes this.
    01-29-2014 02:21 PM
    If you think Android is so much better than WP, why aren't you changing OS and get an Android smartphone?
    Because I want WP to succeed. With this pace they will never be. I'm trying to raise a concern here and I'm doing it on a WP Fan site, not on anti MS sites like BGR.
    PurelyAnecdotal likes this.
    01-29-2014 02:24 PM
33 12