02-02-2014 08:54 AM
66 123
tools
    Every year, we get a new iPhone. Every year we get a new Galaxy S, HTC One, LG, Nexus, and other flagship Android phones. But Nokia skipped 2013 altogether. The 1520 was a flagship type, but at 6", it's fully in the phablet category and not mainstream. The 1020 had a great camera but was basically a 920 otherwise. The Icon appears to have flagship specs but it never came out in 2013. After 2012 saw the 920 and 8X, we mostly had upgrades of those in 2013. Is MS and their OEMs moving too slow if we don't get a flagship every year?
    gmlongo and brc20 like this.
    01-29-2014 01:10 PM
    The 1520 is a real flagship, but I should also have wanted a normal-sized flagship
    01-29-2014 01:12 PM
    Do we really need a flagship every year?
    01-29-2014 01:12 PM
    Are you a fan of old technology? Also windows phone is in a distant third place. They HAVE to release a new flagship phone each year to move forward or maybe this reveals how little they really care about the mobile market.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-29-2014 01:15 PM
    I would say that not having a standard flagship phone and no OS update is what dropped Nokia from 8.8 million sold down to 8.2 in the last two quarters.

Mobile World Congress is only a few weeks ago. Microsoft probably has a few surprises up its sleeve.
    01-29-2014 01:20 PM
    I would say that not having a standard flagship phone and no OS update is what dropped Nokia from 8.8 million sold down to 8.2 in the last two quarters.

Mobile World Congress is only a few weeks ago. Microsoft probably has a few surprises up its sleeve.
    I hope so, but maybe not (Daniel's comment):

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ml#post2323306
    01-29-2014 01:23 PM
    Its not that im a fan of old technology. I just prefer my $500 phones to last a few years before having to upgrade.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk
    mary beth hale likes this.
    01-29-2014 01:40 PM
    Its not that im a fan of old technology. I just prefer my $500 phones to last a few years before having to upgrade.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Tapatalk
    Did you actually pay $500 for a phone? Ouch...
    01-29-2014 01:47 PM
    How much do you think you paid?... and please don't quote the on-contract price... that was just your down-payment.
    01-29-2014 02:05 PM
    Yeah I kind of bought this phone when it first game out.
    01-29-2014 02:09 PM
    That's actually a lot, tho I'm ready to pay that much for a phone. Payed 345€ for my N8, and L1520 costs 495€ (w/o contract, sim free) on the same site.

And about the flagship phones, I agree, Nokia/MS really needs to step up, or they're gonna lose even this slight attention they gained.
    01-29-2014 02:47 PM
    How much do you think you paid?... and please don't quote the on-contract price... that was just your down-payment.
    funny ^
    luk3ja likes this.
    01-29-2014 07:33 PM
    What is 925 then?
    01-29-2014 07:45 PM
    They were waiting for Windows Phone 8.1.

The 1520 was there to take advantage of Update 3, which technically makes it a flagship, but its size renders it more of a niche device.

The 1020 is Nokia's imaging flagship, a follow-up to the 808, and was designed to take advantage of GDR2/Update 2, but is another niche device.

The 920 was a flagship, but it released in 2012!
    01-29-2014 07:52 PM
    By the way, it is a Nokia tradition to have multiple flagships (see N8/C7/E7 trio) with different feature sets, resulting in us seeing quite a lot of "flagships" last year, but not a single 920 successor.

They couldn't release them all at the same time, though, simply because it wasn't viable to do so, resulting in them spacing the releases out.
    (Yes, they released the N8, the E7 and the C7 at the same time, because they could)
    01-29-2014 07:54 PM
    On an individual level, no. To keep customers interested in your platform, yes
    snowmutt, gmlongo and DJRedLine like this.
    01-29-2014 09:06 PM
    What is 925 then?
    A lighter 920...not a flagship
    01-29-2014 09:11 PM
    On an individual level, no. To keep customers interested in your platform, yes
    Exactly! It's becoming very hard to even recommend a 920 or even a 1020 at this point. The phones are getting old especially spec wise, and new people are just not going to bite. But for us who have last year's flagships, it doesn't make a huge difference since we will be getting updates anyway
    01-29-2014 09:14 PM
    In my opinion. The specs doesn't have to be top notch for the platform although better hardware is good but if the software is not as great as the other platforms then its pointless. It's all about user experience and I think Microsoft is doing a decent job, hell they are doing a good job at the moment considering they are playing catch up and not just throwing around features or gimmicks expecting it to happen. It may be slow and dreadful but Windows Phone is young. Don't start on me on WP7 or WMobile.

Lets hope our platform grows in user base and not worry about apps or notification centers or file managers. Every OS is not perfect but I like where WP is heading to... The Metro UI and Simplicity of Tiles, and. I. Like. It.

P.s. Actually I went a bit off topic but yeah. Lol
    Boris Lozac likes this.
    01-29-2014 09:26 PM
    I love how you all talk about specs and what's getting old or falling behind like the average consumer knows or cares about any of this. This spec war is exactly what's wrong with OEMs today. Although I hate Apple products with a passion, business-wise Apple is - I should say Steve Jobs was - smart. They understand people don't care about specs. The average consumer wants a status symbol. Why is the Samsung Galaxy S4 successful? Is it because of that Snapdragon 800 processor? No, it's because it's a status symbol! How on Earth does the Apple iPhone manage to sell so many devices every year when it is technologically inferior? Because its a status symbol!

It takes years to create a status symbol, but if Nokia keeps differentiating their phones long enough, Windows Phone will eventually take second or even first spot. When the first Android devices were released, people thought it was just a copy of iOS. To be honest, it kind of was. However, it succeeded for two major reasons. One, these devices were cheaper than iPhones. Two, they were different. Windows Phones may never be able to hit the exact price points of Android devices, - unless Microsoft really does waive licensing fees altogether - but they've already hit one mark.

They're so different to the point that this difference is noticeable. "Curiosity killed the cat", as they say. Curiosity sparks interest. Most people are followers, and so may never venture from Android devices and iPhones on their own. However, the (social) leaders of the world will always look for something to set themselves apart. Once they've moved to Windows Phones, everyone else will follow.
    01-29-2014 10:28 PM
    I love how you all talk about specs and what's getting old or falling behind like the average consumer knows or cares about any of this. This spec war is exactly what's wrong with OEMs today...
    I agree with some of what you say, particularly about the power of branding and status in the sales process. But in terms of Windows Phone you're ignoring a few factors. When Android was launched, iOS was the only other (big) game in town, so it attracted pretty much all potential buyers that didn't want or couldn't afford an iPhone. Also Android was an open platform that allowed OEMs to do pretty much what they wanted, so innovation came thick and fast with Android smart phones appearing for all price points and market segments.

The introduction of Windows Phone 8 was into a very different world. iOS and Android were both well established. And from a perception point of view, the buying public had lots of choice (between Apple and many different flavours of Android). Also, the market is far more mature now than it was back when Android first emerged. At that time most people owned feature phones and were curious about the whole 'smart phone' thing, so it was easier to generate a 'buzz' about a new phone on the market.

Bottom line is, curiosity does, as you say, spark interest. But that interest wanes quickly today because there are a lot of players waving new shiny things in front of people. If Nokia (or other WP OEMs) don't have some pretty hardware in the form of knock out flagship phones to keep people's interest then WP might not be around long enough to attain that magical 'status symbol' status. Just being different isn't enough.

So to the title of this thread, I think Microsoft is moving too slowly with WP8, both from a hardware and a software perspective.
    wpn00b, a5cent and tgp like this.
    01-29-2014 11:15 PM
    IHow on Earth does the Apple iPhone manage to sell so many devices every year when it is technologically inferior? Because its a status symbol!
    Just to get the fact straight, the A7 SoC inside the iPhone 5S is the fastest phone processor in the world period.
    so no. apple does play the specs game, always competing on power just like everyone else. they just don't say it.
    gmlongo and wpn00b like this.
    01-30-2014 01:33 AM
    Every year, we get a new iPhone. Every year we get a new Galaxy S, HTC One, LG, Nexus, and other flagship Android phones. But Nokia skipped 2013 altogether. The 1520 was a flagship type, but at 6", it's fully in the phablet category and not mainstream. The 1020 had a great camera but was basically a 920 otherwise. The Icon appears to have flagship specs but it never came out in 2013. After 2012 saw the 920 and 8X, we mostly had upgrades of those in 2013. Is MS and their OEMs moving too slow if we don't get a flagship every year?
    I don't know whether you noticed but those IOS and Android flagships were almost all criticized as being incremental upgrades. The only phone of which I am aware that was truly praised as new and innovative, other than a couple Nokia phones you chose to minimize, was the HTC One. It certainly seems like you are setting a unique standard for comparison. BTW, anyone who considers the 928 to be only a minor upgrade to either the 822 or 8X on VZW was not paying attention at any level.
    01-30-2014 01:45 AM
    I don't know whether you noticed but those IOS and Android flagships were almost all criticized as being incremental upgrades. The only phone of which I am aware that was truly praised as new and innovative, other than a couple Nokia phones you chose to minimize, was the HTC One. It certainly seems like you are setting a unique standard for comparison. BTW, anyone who considers the 928 to be only a minor upgrade to either the 822 or 8X on VZW was not paying attention at any level.
    You're right. They should just cancel the release of Lumia Icon. Snapdragon 800/Adreno 330, 2 GB RAM, 1080p 5" screen, Wifi a/c since it's just the same type of "minor" upgrade like the S4, Nexus 5, iPhone 5S, Xperia Z1S that people will criticize. But back to reality, why would anyone criticize Apple, Qualcom, Nvidia, and Samsung for pushing processor and display technology at breakneck speeds? We should embrace that as that's what is allowing more complex uses of the phone. The component makers move fast and the OEMs quickly produce an Android version but lag behind for the Windows Phone version. I don't know if MS is too beaurocratic or what, but they don't seem to be as nimble as the other companies. It's surprising that an Icon type phone wasn't released in Q3-Q4 2013. Yes, they have the 1520, but as I and others mentioned, it's a phablet, not a mainstream flagship.

Oh, and the 928 should have been released in 2012 since it's basically a 920 with some changes. But again, are MS and their OEMs just too slow?
    01-30-2014 02:41 AM
    But back to reality, why would anyone criticize Apple, Qualcom, Nvidia, and Samsung for pushing processor and display technology at breakneck speeds? We should embrace that as that's what is allowing more complex uses of the phone.
    Not really. Hardware advantages are only dramatic when something entirely new is incorporated that wasn't available before. That doesn't happen very often anymore. Apple's finger print scanner or Nokia's OIS are examples (which don't excite everyone to the same degree). These days, the improvements in CPU and display technology are incremental. There is not a thing on our brand new devices that couldn't run on hardware from 2012.

I'm not saying that hardware advancements are unimportant, they are, but primarily for marketing and sales purposes. These days, true innovations in smartphone technology are made almost entirely on the software side.
    Last edited by a5cent; 01-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    01-30-2014 03:43 AM
66 123