Having too much trouble editing text (all apps) and scrolling in IE, and a few other nits to pick!

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Seems like the default behavior of the text editor to always first highlight an entire word upon a single tap selection is just the opposite of what I am looking for.
Also, how do you select all text with this method? If the text is a lengthy paragraph or two that is not displayed in its entirety on the screen, WP8 expects one to select a circle and drag it to cover an intended selection. l feel frustration with this solution!

Also I find it very difficult have the cursor even appear, instead of skipping from fully selecting word after word after word. Then when it does appear, it is hard to move it to the desired position.
My experience on iOS devices was much more natural and uneventful.

THen there is the issue of scrolling in IE. I have the Lumia 1520, and read that the hardware and processor were generally considered to be overkill and unnecessary on WP8, but the jagged, lagging scrolling behavior and slow page load refresh times is frankly terrible compared to my experience on a iPhone5.

The fixed back arrow seems old fashioned by now, cant we just swipe left to cycle back through running apps?

A few other niggles bother me with the WP8 OS, but I am quite pleased with the Lumia and am actually happy to have a Windows Phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the text editing is something that just takes getting used to. I had trouble with it too, probably even more than you, since I used a BlackBerry 9700 that didn't even use touch screen, before I switched to Windows Phone. So I think if somebody has been used to anything else, like BlackBerry/Android/iPhone, it's going to take a bit of time to adjust. Hopefully it'll get easier for you once you've had more practice. I know it got better for me.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the agree with you with scrolling on the 1520. For some reason when you browse on the 1520 the scrolling seems laggy at times. Another thing is when you drag your finger across the screen the content does not keep up, while on an iPhone the content seems to stick to your finger and is very smooth. I hope IE 11 will work better with 1080p display when browsing. I remember wp7 used to be super optimized in this case and felt smoother in this regard. The browser does not always finish loading web pages and is really annoying. A lot of your points are valid.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Also I find it very difficult have the cursor even appear, instead of skipping from fully selecting word after word after word. Then when it does appear, it is hard to move it to the desired position.
My experience on iOS devices was much more natural and uneventful.

You hold the finger not tap it. Then the cursor appears and you can put it anywhere you want while still holding. I actually like this more then tapping (and always missing) the desired spot. BUT, i hate the slow deleting of large paragraphs, it doesn't speed up enough when you're deleting all sentences..

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here.

Nokia 1520 has also an oversensitive display issue that makes editing very difficult.

another 2 problems i have are
1) In some areas i can put the cursor inside two characters to insert text or amend a word while in other areas i can't, the whole word will be selected. This is really disrupting my work (I am a translator and type/modify hundreds of mails, terminology etc while moving.
2) Text prediction does not work anywhere. I don't know if this is by design but, again, it really delays my work.
3) Lack of proper Chinese keyboards (example Traditional Chinese with Pinyin input mode) is a dealbreaker.

The phone itself is not bad but the OS seems a bit "young" for a professional use on a global scale.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
if you want to select all text, tap a word, then drag the left and right of that word to text you want selected.
if you want to edit a letter, tap on the text box and hold. a cursor will appear. do not let go, drag cursor to the place you want.

it's just some interface difference between WP and iOS :)
of course we do have data proving that the touch latency on iPhones are much less than all other phones so yes it's something that can be improved.
also, do note that iPhone 5S is technically faster than Lumia 1520.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Na, that doesn't work. If you want to make a test you'll see how it works.

1) Take an email someone sent to you
2) Click on REPLY and start typing your own reply.
3) Then go try to modify the text of the email from the sender (which should be above your reply). you'll see you can't select single words or insert the cursor in between two of them (tried hundreds of times on my Lumia 1520 then i was told it's OS DESIGN). Then go to your reply and try to do the same, you'll see that there you can select single words or position the cursor where you want.

On a side note, today i also noticed Chinese character recognition is pretty sub-par compared to anything else on the market. It's basically impossible to handwrite chinese character properly especially in some applications like Chinese dictionaries. Terrible for editing, really a terrible implementation. Match this with the screen oversensitiveness issue affecting 1520s units and it's basically unusable in some cases.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Losing my patience with text editing.

I am forwarding an email but want to not include a bunch of text from the earlier messages in the conversation. I was able to select all of the parts I want to exclude... But WP won't let me do anything with that group of highlighted text other than copy it!!!

on iOS, this is VERY VERY simple to do.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I also hate it if i have to select bigger amounts of text, the problem is that you can just select whats currently displayed in the text bubble.
You need to keep holding the selector upwards but that does not work all the time because the text bubble does not scroll correctly.

@Madam ImAdam
Just press the backspace key to delete the selected text.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
If the text is a selection that is being forwarded or replied to and wasn't created by me, the keyboard is not presented... so there is no backspace button to press. Very annoying.

Ritwik Sondhi

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
You hold the finger not tap it. Then the cursor appears and you can put it anywhere you want while still holding. I actually like this more then tapping (and always missing) the desired spot. BUT, i hate the slow deleting of large paragraphs, it doesn't speed up enough when you're deleting all sentences..
Thanks for sharing this Boris, you just made my texting experience on WP8 easier.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I noticed a little while ago that you can't edit the forwarded part of an email. Seems totally bizarre. There's another thread on the topic in this forum a little further down (at this point anyway).

There needs to be a "Select All" editing option as well. Seems like a very basic thing to not have. Dragging the little text box around is pretty silly for large amounts of text.

I knew when I got the phone that it would be kind of rough going in some areas, but I'm fairly happy with it in general. The browser is probably the most annoying part so far, but I've only tried IE and UC browser so far. Hopefully it will get better. I would guess WP is probably 2-3 years away from being as polished as iOS, assuming it lasts that long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2