Phone manager

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as though the USB port you're using isn't producing enough voltage to communicate with the phone. When you plug your phone in, do you hear the computer make the "usb device inserted" bong sound?

If not, use a different USB cable. Or a different USB port.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
a.Connect your Windows Phone to your computer by using the USB cable that was included with your phone.
b.Windows 8 users: In the Start screen, type "Device Manager," tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Device Manager.
Windows 7, Vista, and XP users: Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
c.A window will appear with the name of your computer and a list of files. (If you don't see the files, click the name of your computer.) The name of your Windows Phone 8 should be listed under Portable Devices. If Windows Phone was incorrectly installed, it may be listed with a yellow exclamation mark. Or, it may be listed under Other Devices as a USB device or an unknown device.
d.Double-tap or double-click Windows Phone (under Portable Devices) or the unknown device to open the Properties window.
e.On the Driver tab, tap or click Uninstall.
f.In the pop-up box "Confirm Device Uninstall," select "Delete the driver software for this device" and then tap or click OK.
g.Return to the Device Manager window. Tap or click the Action menu, and then tap or click Scan for hardware changes.
h.Open Portable Devices, double-tap or double-click the name of your Windows Phone, and then click the Driver tab.
Note If you don't see your phone's name, tap or click the unknown device that is listed under Other Devices, and then tap or click the Driver tab.
i.Tap or click Update Driver.
j.Tap or click Browse my computer for driver software.
k.Tap or click Browse, locate the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder on your computer, and then click OK.
l.Click Next and if you're prompted, click Install. You may only be given a Close option.
m.After the driver installation is complete, close the open windows until you exit the Device Manager. Restart your computer if you're prompted.

Miha_a

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Now I see the Phone in Phone Devices. Also the Manager works. I just can get the Unknown device in Other Devices to install.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You're getting there. Just methodically go through the steps in the article and you should get the Windows Phone Desktop App working.

Miha_a

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I did. I cant get the "Other Devices / Windows Phone 8" to install properly.

But nonetheless my phone is now recognized by the Manager program so no problem.

EDIT:
- p.s. I can't believe that it's so f* complicated to connect a Windows Phone to a Windows computer ?!?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon