Screen Scrolling is not Smooth...jittery and flickering/jumping

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: 6 Months looking for a solution with no luck!!!

when you try you will know the difference... Try an iphone... Or good 920 like one I had before...
I use to own an iphone. I currently own the 920, Optimus G Pro, Z10, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nexus 7 (both), etc. Every single one has times/apps that have some jittering in scrolling.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I use to own an iphone. I currently own the 920, Optimus G Pro, Z10, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Nexus 7 (both), etc. Every single one has times/apps that have some jittering in scrolling.

Probably the most objective review here!

By Nexus 7 (both), do you mean you have a 2012 & a 2013? I have a 2012 version, and it's certainly nothing to be proud of. The lag was bad enough that Google acknowledged and addressed the issue. I bought it used soon before KitKat (4.4) was released, and the update improved it quite a bit. I haven't used a 2013 version, but I've heard it's much better.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Probably the most objective review here!

By Nexus 7 (both), do you mean you have a 2012 & a 2013? I have a 2012 version, and it's certainly nothing to be proud of. The lag was bad enough that Google acknowledged and addressed the issue. I bought it used soon before KitKat (4.4) was released, and the update improved it quite a bit. I haven't used a 2013 version, but I've heard it's much better.

Yes that is what I mean. The older Nexus 7 is actually pretty decent once you get a better version of Android on it. The newer Nexus 7 has improved a lot with the official updates. It is certainly a tablet that can handle a lot.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I do make sure that the whole list is loaded and also get sure not to scroll close to the bottom so the app don't load more content..
Here is a video, I'm not sure if the video is clear to notice this issue... concentrate on how the scrolling is not smooth and jumping a little..
WP Jittery Scrolling Problem - YouTube

I can definitely notice how the scrolling is jumping and jitters. My 1520 has that problem on apps that do not scroll very well. The web browser is okay a lot of time, but some websites it jitters.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I can definitely notice how the scrolling is jumping and jitters. My 1520 has that problem on apps that do not scroll very well. The web browser is okay a lot of time, but some websites it jitters.
It is good you noticed it as many can't even though I think it is exist in front of them, next search for a solution ;)

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

It is funny that "Dave Blake" edited the title of this thread... anyway its ok... I understand he may want the thread to be more specific in the title...

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

It is good you noticed it as many can't even though I think it is exist in front of them, next search for a solution ;)

The good news is that the hardware is not lacking, so software should be able to fix this.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I doubt that nokia will care and fix this, the 925 got updates without solving this issue...

We should make this apparent to nokia, maybe make a thread at the Nokia support forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

We should make this apparent to nokia, maybe make a thread at the Nokia support forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

yes, it will be great if you can make a thread at the right place at nokia... It maybe helpful...

Lukas Jankauskas

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the problem is that the screens of WP are running on low fps. Android fixed this in 4.1 update forcing interface to be always rendered at 60fps(I might be wrong).

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the problem is that the screens of WP are running on low fps. Android fixed this in 4.1 update forcing interface to be always rendered at 60fps(I might be wrong).

the Nokia Lumia 920 and 1520 has a refresh rate of 60 hz. I forget the branding Nokia used, but the technology is already there.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Read up on Nokia's clearmotion HD+ technology on the Lumia 920 and beyond. It's the same thing, the screen is over-volted to run at a full 60fps to match the OS. So it's definitely not that.

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Considera that double tap is bugged and it makes the scrolling stutter almost always on 92x devices under certain conditions

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I disabled double tap to unlock, and it seems to have improved the performance in scroling. I also turned off glance, as much as I liked those features, the improved scrolling makes it worth it.

scott.deagan

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a budget Windows Phone (Lumia 635) and am experiencing the same problem. Scrolling is, for the most part, smooth. However, I get flicker when I try to scroll quickly. I have noticed this in several apps I have installed: IRC client, SSH client and Whatsapp (to name a few).

It only happens if I try to scroll too quickly. It's similar to the checker-boarding effect that used to occur on my iPhone 3 when scrolling too fast, only there's no check-board on my Windows Phone - just blank screen underneath.

I don't know how else to describe it. And no, it's not my OCD, it's a real issue - albeit a fairly minor one, but annoying nonetheless.

I'm no expert, but it appears to me that various applications are having problems filling the screen buffer within the 16.6ms that is required to maintain a consistent 60fps, but the OS decides to draw whatever is in the buffer anyway to prevent jitter (caused by redrawing the current frame and skipping the next one as it's not ready to be drawn).

As I have mentioned, while it's not a huge problem per se, it's rather off-putting. I purchased a low end WP device to try out WP 8.1, but now I'm reluctant to purchase a more expensive WP handset because of this issue. If I had spent ?400+ on a WP handset that exhibited this problem, I would have been extremely disappointed.

DmC10

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys i just signed up to post the solution...i had the same jittery laggy scroll (lumia 920 Cyan), on my apps list, on my desktop, generally whenever i scrolled with my finger there was jitter, if i scrolled fast and took my finger off the screen the rest of the scrolling was perfectly smooth. So i went to settings>ease of access>Screen magnifier=off (restart phone if asked), another option that can help with smoothness is Settings>touch>Touch senisitivity=normal (restart phone if asked).
And as i see there are other parameters that prevent smoothness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos