I want to change my logon account for my Windows Phone

perbear

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
In hindsight I was stupid enough to create a Live account for my Windows Phone which mimics an old e-mail account with a Swedish internet provider. So very often I get sync failure messages and requests to login or confirm the password. I think the best solution is to create a new Microsoft account instead or use one of my other Microsoft accounts. But then there is the problem with apps. Some om my apps are rather expensive (dictionaries up to the equivalent of USD 50 in Swedish currency or an independent navigator that is more like USD 110.). Games don't bother me so much but these expensive apps I would like to migrate to the new account. Not share between two accounts - MIGRATE!!!! Is that possible and if so how is it done?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I do not think it is possible to migrate purchase history to a different account. However, you might be able to add a new alias and use this alias as the primary. You will have to experiment a bit, since I have not tried it myself. Or maybe someone else will have a working solution.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so far! I will try to talk to MS and see what they have to say.

Although new alias will not solve your issue, I think MS support may have to create a special case if at all they would want to help with this. Normal chat support may not resolve this for you but if you stay persistent and insist on escalating to someone more responsible, you may eventually get it. But in an ordinary sense, no app purchase migration does not exist on Microsoft accounts unfortunately like others have already pointed out.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried this myself, but what you should be able to do is create an alias for your existing Microsoft account (the one with the old invalid ISP address). You should then be able to change that newly created alias to the primary alias for the account making your original account ID into a secondary alias. According to this article

http://winsupersite.com/outlookcom/how-microsoft-account-aliases-changes-impact-windows-windows-phone-and-xbox-360

once you do so, you'll have to hard reset your Windows phone and then set it up with your new primary alias. You'll have to redownload all of your apps again, but they should continue to work with the new primary alias according to the article since it will still be the same account, just with a different ID. From the article

Regardless of this change, you can use a primary alias or a (secondary) alias to sign-in to any of the devices mentioned above. When you do, you gain access to the rights/features of the same underlying Microsoft account, meaning such things as apps (on Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone 8), Xbox Music Pass subscription, or whatever else.

Again, I haven't tried it, but once you make the change and verify that everything is working, I suppose you could then delete your original (now secondary) ID with the invalid email address.

According to the same article, Microsoft has a goal to eventually be able to merge separate accounts, but that isn't possible yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster