Windows Phone 8 Update Speed

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs a focus on faster product releases | PhoneDog - PhoneDog Mobile

Something I don't get. Windows Phone, since its inception, has received six updates, three major ones. I'm counting Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7 Mango, Windows Phone 8, GDR1, GDR2, GDR3. Major Updates WP7, WP7M, WP8. That's in three years (not counting this one, because it just begun) three major updates, and a total of six updates. And the three smaller updates weren't bug fixes, although some did include bug fixes. I rcvd several new features on mu Lumia 920, including But not limited to, Call Blocking, Driving Mode, Lock Orientation. And these are the ones I know off the top of my head. There are other updated features.

Lets look at the first three years of the iPhone. How many updates (that the iPhone got new updated features)? IOS 1.0,2.0,3.0. Three updates only!?! Apple fans must be PISSED!?

Wait, no .. They aren't. So why is this a big deal for WP, but not for Apple?

(note, Google does two updates a year, so they win).

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is the first 3 versions of iOS all happened before WP and others were in the game. They were improving upon their system before we had one. So when WP hit the market it was already behind. Users want the features to be up to iOS standards by now and we aren't quite there. So it is less about how many updates but rather the features that each brought.

And honestly; WP8 was really the ability to support better hardware. Not many new features came with this; outside the new start screen layout which really wasn't a feature.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the issue is the first 3 versions of iOS all happened before WP and others were in the game. They were improving upon their system before we had one. So when WP hit the market it was already behind. Users want the features to be up to iOS standards by now and we aren't quite there. So it is less about how many updates but rather the features that each brought.

And honestly; WP8 was really the ability to support better hardware. Not many new features came with this; outside the new start screen layout which really wasn't a feature.

You saying from WP7M to WP8? I don't really remember :'( so that's possible. But, even still, the problem isn't the number of updates, it's the fact people see MS being behind. People should complain correctly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo