So i finally tried WP.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
To give a quick backstory, I upgrade phones quite often. It's kind of a problem for my wife but it's one of my favorite hobbies. In saying that i will tell you I'm mostly OS agnostic (i tend to use the best device for me not the best device everyone else). I have a 27 inch iMac and MBA (running windows 8 and Unbuntu through VM when necessary) , an iPad, a couple android tablets, an Xperia Z Ultra GPE, a 5s, an HTC one GPE (daily driver), but have never gotten to experience a WP. For the past month i decided to run a Lumia 521. Sadly, it came to an untimely death at some point during a drunken super bowl sunday. At least it was only $60. Here is my experience.

APPS

I really didn't find too many deal breakers beyond my normal repertoire of Google apps. My biggest scare was that I would have no way to read my news through the Pulse news app. I found Weaver to be more than adequate for my needs. My only issue was the Youtube app. Before you point Metrotube and youtube Hd in my face as being superior, consider my use case. I own several chromecast dongles and none of those apps include the ability to cast apps to them that the stock app has just kills it for me. So while those apps are more than adequate for on the go youtube viewing, i just missed that functionality. I also really missed clash of clans, my PS4 companion app, and Google Now but i know i can't fault WP specifically for that :)

The OS

When i first started to play with the phone I was pleasantly surprise by the fluidity of the device. Scrolling was smooth and nothing ever did "lag" in the android sense of the word. However, nothing was very fast. i found that the OS hid the lag behind animations and loading screens. while this may give the illusion of speed, apps simply didn't load in a timely manner for me compared to my other phones. I know it's wrong for me to say that about the 521 compared to my other high end phones, but I've seen people incorrectly claim that their lumia 520/521 is faster than high end android phones so i felt it needed addressing. Live tiles were initially a refreshing change of pace to my normal icon centric smartphone usage at first but things went down hill from there. It began to feel cluttered for me after a while and the constant need to scroll to get the the bottom tiles irritated me. On my One i keep it minimalistic and clutter free (ill include a screenshot just for comparisons sake). Before you think that i could have just not pinned so many apps to the start screen, know that i consider the alternative to be ever more annoying. The list of apps to scroll through was horrible every time i wanted an app that wasn't on my start screen. A grid just seems more useful to me. IE just sucks for me. i won't really go into everything i dislike about it but it needs an update. To shift to a positive note, I LOVE the ME tile and the unified messaging. Who needs a specific app for all these things when the Me tile and messaging have you covered. Oddly, the lack of the notification Center did not faze me and i believe in MS's current implementation.

Wrap Up
All in all WP is leaps and bounds better than i thought it would be ( and boy did i have my reservations) but its just not leaps and bounds better than iOS and android. I found the UI fresh and different just not really better in any meaningful way. I felt that there was nothing to detract me from what already is proven to work for me. That is my problem with WP. I feel that it has almost everything ANY smartphone user could ask for. It just doesn't have anything to make me say that it is better than the alternative. I am rooting for WP and competition as I just want the best device for me regardless of OS. MS and Wp has proven to me that the deserve to be on my radar and thats what matters most to me. I admit I may not be the perfect target audience considering i don't own a true windows machine or an xbox so take me experience as you see fit. Feel free to correct any errors where you see and i look forward to your feedback. (included a pic of the box to show i actually got it)2014-02-05 16.28.00.jpg2014-02-05 10.57.45.jpg

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Nice bit of writing. You seem to be the last of a breed; someone that researches things thoroughly before spending your time and money. I hopw you were duly impressed with Windows Phone to stay with it for the long haul.

Welcome to WPCentral.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm also OS agnostic and I dipped my toe in the WP waters with a 521 as well...

And liked it more than enough to get a (gently used) 925 for a daily driver.

IMHO you missed out on the strengths of Nokia (or, at least, I didn't see them addressed in your post) and you might want to give Nokia another chance to wow you on a more upscale device.

* Screen clarity
* Camera and the quality of the imaging software
* Nokia's Here Drive - I find the Nav outstanding and much prefer it to anything else I've used

Ashish Kakade05

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
You are using lowest end device of wp platform so it may take time to load but if you use lumia 920 and higher than that than u will be really enjoying wp platform as they have best functionality....!

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
A well thought out review of your personal experience with the 521. I can't argue with some of your observations as there are some unpolished points to the OS.

You correctly point out that the integration between WP and w services is lacking, and I don't see that changing in the short term.

I do wish your first experience would have been with a more capable device though ;-)

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with you. I'm currently looking into 925s as i type this. Since this is day one back with my HTC One, i find myself missing bits of WP. I'm thinking i need to add one to my collection. Do you mind me asking how much you payed for it? The prices seem to vary wildly from what I'm seeing at the moment.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a question because I've never used an android device. If you had the same long list of apps and wanted to get to an infrequently used one, how do you do it? Is there not a list somewhere you'd have to scroll through or multiple pages to flip through?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree with you. I'm currently looking into 925s as i type this. Since this is day one back with my HTC One, i find myself missing bits of WP. I'm thinking i need to add one to my collection. Do you mind me asking how much you payed for it? The prices seem to vary wildly from what I'm seeing at the moment.

I found a T-Mo variant 925 on the marketplace here and paid $300 + a Palm Pre 2 and accessories...

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a question because I've never used an android device. If you had the same long list of apps and wanted to get to an infrequently used one, how do you do it? Is there not a list somewhere you'd have to scroll through or multiple pages to flip through?
Not a list. On my HTC One it's a 4X6 grid which i feel is faster to find an app since you see 24 apps on one screen rather than a list you have to scroll through.

Skinnyman9000

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I've recently used a WP in the form of a 520 and I can echo some of the comments, but the app situation put me off WP, for now.

Yes you might have the same apps as iOS and Android, but certainly not to the same standard. The eBay app for example, looks like it was designed as a school project. Its a shame because the eBay app on W8 is very nice, on WP8, not so much. Tapatalk and Spotify were also inferior.

Basically, I found 99% of the apps I have on my android, unfortunately they were mostly of inferior quality.

Like most, I'll wait to see what 8.1 brings before revisiting.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
also if you have a long list of apps, just tap the alphabetical letter at the top and it'll show an alphabet. from there you can tap the letter that is the first letter of the name of the app and it will immediately take you to that section.
ex: I want to find Weave. I just tap A. then alphabet shows up, I tap w.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I started like you with NL521 when I left iOS. With in two weeks I was back at t-mobile picking up the NL925. I love this phone. I agree that the store still lacks on app support. But take it from me in just three months with windows phone the official apps are pouring in. Like other suggests you can't go wrong if you purchase any above NL92....

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I've recently used a WP in the form of a 520 and I can echo some of the comments, but the app situation put me off WP, for now.

Yes you might have the same apps as iOS and Android, but certainly not to the same standard. The eBay app for example, looks like it was designed as a school project. Its a shame because the eBay app on W8 is very nice, on WP8, not so much. Tapatalk and Spotify were also inferior.

Basically, I found 99% of the apps I have on my android, unfortunately they were mostly of inferior quality.

Like most, I'll wait to see what 8.1 brings before revisiting.

I agree to an extent. The only app that really cause me to go into a mini fit of nerd rage was the call of duty app. It just crashed way to often for my taste compared to the iOS and android versions. In regards to apps quality i found that apps developed with WP's design language in mind worked best as opposed to apps that were a straight port from iOS/andriod.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I started like you with NL521 when I left iOS. With in two weeks I was back at t-mobile picking up the NL925. I love this phone. I agree that the store still lacks on app support. But take it from me in just three months with windows phone the official apps are pouring in. Like other suggests you can't go wrong if you purchase any above NL92....

Just bought a 925 for $265 so i'm well on my way. I will probably post my experiences sometime this weekend as i opted for 1 day shipping. I feel slightly guilty about not adding to the market share by buying used but ill buy a few apps to make up.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a 925 for $265 so i'm well on my way. I will probably post my experiences sometime this weekend as i opted for 1 day shipping. I feel slightly guilty about not adding to the market share by buying used but ill buy a few apps to make up.

I really look forward to hearing about it from you.
Welcome to the WPC community :)

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Nice! Looking toward forward to your experience. Enjoy.

Skinnyman9000

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I liked the OS overall. I'm bored of Android, and have had Apple in the past and don't want to go back. I'm 100% willing to make the jump, IF the 8.1 update addresses certain issues, and the app situation improves, which I'm confident it will.

I'll be keeping an eye on WP very closely in the coming months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs