So i finally tried WP.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I liked the OS overall. I'm bored of Android, and have had Apple in the past and don't want to go back. I'm 100% willing to make the jump, IF the 8.1 update addresses certain issues, and the app situation improves, which I'm confident it will.

I'll be keeping an eye on WP very closely in the coming months.
I was the same way and I already switched couple months ago with a 1520. I like the experience so far but the only thing i miss is the google apps which I doubt they will make anything in 2014

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Not a list. On my HTC One it's a 4X6 grid which i feel is faster to find an app since you see 24 apps on one screen rather than a list you have to scroll through.
I have about 100 apps on my Lumia 810 and the alphabetical grid on WP is just as easy as the Android or iOS grid.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a 925 for $265 so i'm well on my way. I will probably post my experiences sometime this weekend as i opted for 1 day shipping. I feel slightly guilty about not adding to the market share by buying used but ill buy a few apps to make up.

Nice price on the 925! Can you share where you got it?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Not a list. On my HTC One it's a 4X6 grid which i feel is faster to find an app since you see 24 apps on one screen rather than a list you have to scroll through.

Once you get more than a certain # of apps installed, you can just hit the alpha letters and go to that group of apps that start with that letter. I find I use this ability all the time. I don't scroll to the app.

AndyFZ1S

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Real nice review I appreciate your niggles, The you tube app does suck and its by no fault of the OS or MS but the bad robot themselves, I hope you have a more enjoyable experience with your 925

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have to commend you for actually doing research and giving the phone a fair whack.
I agree, some may be shook when they move to WP from Android and see the dearth of google services apps, but I think there's some pretty great alternatives. Gmail is built into the phone, more or less. HERE and even the stock maps app are fantastic. You've got Nokia music et al. The offical Youtube app is definitely ****e, thanks to Google's "HTML5 trolling" but myTube is brilliant and the developer is always open to hearing about new features etc. Just shoot him a mail and he'll respond personally.:wink:

Bing translate is great, the music matching thing is AMAZING (the one where you hit the search button, then the musical note button and it matches the song playing to a link on the store, Shazam style.), especially if youve opted for an Xbox Music pass. You can go from hearing a song you like on the radio to having it stored on your phone in less than 30 seconds.

If you give it a bit longer, you'll grow very accustomed to your device. I struggled a little bit when I moved from Android at the beginning of 2013, but I got over that quick and would never go back now. And Windows Phone has never been growing faster than right now. I'm really looking forward to what 2014 brings for the OS, when it springs out of adolescence and becomes a fully mature adult.

And again, kudos for giving the phone an actual go and giving some educated feedback. The number of morons who say "OMG brought it bak in 20 mins cuz it diddnt has Candee Crush!?!!" infuriates me.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ivin welcome to WP !!
I have no issue at all with someone who gives an OS a fair shot and can give both Plus and Neg notes.
First it shows a willingness to keep an open mind and enjoy the process of learning something new!!

I hope you will enjoy your newest WP !!!

Thank you for a fair minded review and your thoughts !!!!!!!!!

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Wrap Up
...I felt that there was nothing to detract me from what already is proven to work for me. That is my problem with WP. I feel that it has almost everything ANY smartphone user could ask for. It just doesn't have anything to make me say that it is better than the alternative....

I think this happens to people quite a bit. We have been pushed into this thinking that we have to hate the old and love the new to embrace the new.

Mobile devices today have so much parity, and all that's needed is to find something that fits the most. In my experience WP fits me the most, and I don't necessarily need it to blow the competition away for me to use it.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the honest review.

I was drawn to WP thanks the looks of the N9->L800. And then it won me with its simplicity and general metro design language. Android now repels me and I find iOS overwhelmingly boring - but there's a saying in CZ: “A habit is a shirt made of iron.” ... right? :wink:

so we need to concentrate on the newcomers to smartphones then! :smile:

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I find it interesting that people actually use the app list. I just have all my icons on the main screen and scroll down to where it is. Yes I remember their placements

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This was a good review. Though the lag thing...its not so much launching apps so much as over a period of time android phones grow to be laggy whereas even on the lowest common denominator windows phone their performance is still the same as it was out of the box.

That was probably my only disagreement.

Also the app list, its quite simple for me to just click the letter and find the app there vs a grid of icons and having to scroll through and find them.

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
You are using lowest end device of wp platform so it may take time to load but if you use lumia 920 and higher than that than u will be really enjoying wp platform as they have best functionality....!
I If you are really going to give something a test you should get the best one they have. By buying the low end phone and compairing it to other platforms is not a true test at all

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Nice! I use three platforms currently in devices and phones. Macbook pro, windows 8.1 desktop, iPad 4, nexus 7, just got a dell venue pro 8 inch for $200 that I have yet to set up, xbox 360, an iPhone 5, moto x (daily driver), nexus 5 and lumia 925.

All have strong areas and areas that need improvement.

For my lumia, I love the pictures and the tiles. While the apps are getting better, there are some that I really need when traveling which I do frequently. Using the browser is not the same as having an app namely Southwest Airlines and Marriott. I use them so much that it is hard to travel without them. American Airlines and Avis are on board!

I would l love to have more Google apps like Google Now but I can get along without it but it is quite handy. Overall I like WP enough to stay plugged in and looking forward to some new and exiting devices and 8.1 coming this year.

Sent from my Moto X!

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I If you are really going to give something a test you should get the best one they have. By buying the low end phone and compairing it to other platforms is not a true test at all
I wouldn't really say i was comparing. I just wanted a quick and inexpensive way to experience WP. There was no way with my reservations that i was going to spend 250+ just to try something for a month. After my experience i decided to permanently add a WP to my collection. Hence why i order a 925 that will be here today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb