TV as Monitor

Steve Leach

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if this is redundant- a quick search did not yield results. ....can I use my 56" flat screen to view content from my phone (WP 8X). The tv has USB and VGA inputs. We are wanting to watch tv shows we missed without using the computer. No laptop, just desktop in the home office. Sorry to seem like a tech-illiterate old man; I do have my strengths, but this isn't one of them. Haha! Thanks.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Afraid not.

Not via USB. If your TV has DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance), you can use Nokia's "PlayTo" app to show pics and video's from your phone onto your tv. DLNA is a wireless streaming protocol invented by Sony and inherited as kind of a standard for wireless streaming these days.

Play to | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

But to cut it short: if your TV doesn't have DLNA support, it's a no go.

WilliamABradley

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft need to add USB OTG support to windows phone, so we can use adaptors (Like micro usb to hdmi) and such to make Windows Phone more widespread, being able to use your phone as a host to other devices would be cool, like plugging in a flash drive, although it would probably require a file manager.
This may come some time, like windows phone 9 perhaps, as something like USB OTG is one of the highest voted suggestions from the Windows Phone suggestion box.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
USB OTG has nothing to do with being able to use microUSB to HDMI adapters. That belongs to a different specialty adapter category, specifically, support of MHL(more popular) or Slimport (less popular but supported by Google). Both require special hardware and software.

USB OTG is typically useful for connect flash drive, keyboard and mouse etc.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Most likely we will see Miracast instead. That's getting much more popular now. Android phones, Windows 8.1 laptop and PCs all support Miracast.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The latest 8.1 SDK leak leads to the fact that Microsoft is working on Miracast. But it may or may not be finished in time for 8.1 release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786