Hi !

So, is gapless playback possible in WP8 or not ?

-Is it not possible because of hardware restrictions ?
    -Not possible because of OS limitations ?
    -Possible but not used by any app yet ?

Really, gapless playback is such a basic thing for a music app...the gap between songs is just annoying.
    02-09-2014 03:53 AM
    I think this is a software issues and will get eventually fix maybe when 8.1 is released.
    02-09-2014 03:04 PM
    So you mean OS limitation atm ?
    Hope it will be added, maybe Nokia can do something about it i mean its 2014 and how can a music app not have gapless playback ?
    02-09-2014 05:04 PM
    I hope it gets fixed in WP8.1. I also hope I win the lottery and retire young to the south of France. I hope a lot of stuff.

MS has never promised to fix this, nor ever (as far as I can see) acknowledged that it's a missing feature that might be good to have.

Anybody to whom gapless playback is *really* important is unlikely to still be a WP customer after years of not having it - so I don't see a real payback for them adding it now, unfortunately.

Hope I'm wrong - bet I'm right.
    02-14-2014 08:16 AM
    how much of a gap is it?
    02-14-2014 12:31 PM
    I hope it gets fixed in WP8.1. I also hope I win the lottery and retire young to the south of France. I hope a lot of stuff.

MS has never promised to fix this, nor ever (as far as I can see) acknowledged that it's a missing feature that might be good to have.

Anybody to whom gapless playback is *really* important is unlikely to still be a WP customer after years of not having it - so I don't see a real payback for them adding it now, unfortunately.

Hope I'm wrong - bet I'm right.
    They've also never acknowledged the lack of hi-speed scrubbing and the lack of ability to repeat a song.
    02-14-2014 12:54 PM
    how much of a gap is it?
    It's definitely a GAP, not a "click" or a "tick" - it's generally ~ .5 seconds to ~1.5 seconds of pure silence.

A "click" would be annoying but tolerable - a noticeable silence is not.
    02-16-2014 12:28 PM
    The Windows Phone media playback API introduces a gap between each track played. Gapless playback is not possible for any application that uses the standard, "official" way to play music on Windows Phone.

It is possible, in theory, if an application bypasses all of those OS services and does all the audio decoding itself, but that application would then miss out on all the system media player integration (track control buttons on the lock screen, etc).
    03-06-2014 04:22 AM