Odd problem with time resetting...

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Both me and my wife have Lumia's and we've both encountered an odd time problem. It has only happened to me once, but she has a 625 and it happened very frequently...

Basically, what happens is that the time resets to a random time - 3am-ish in the morning on some date in 2103 (can't quite remember which one) - this is obviously an issue as when alarms are set you can't be sure that it's going to go off!

To counter the initial questions/suggestions - this happens whether automatic or manual time is set... so it isn't just that it's getting bad data from the network...
Anyone got any thoughts?!

Thanks

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine usually resets to July 20 2013 and the current time set to the right time, but in the PDT time zone when I perform a soft reset. I have no idea why this happens, but I have to reset the time and auto detect settings every time.

Thanks for asking this, which has prompted me to raise this with the WP8 service delivery team. I'll come back with the answer when I get one.

Last edited:

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
It's not related to reset (although it may also happen then), but it just happens in her bag (seemingly) randomly...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It may be that the device itself is restarting itself, which isn't an unknown thing to happen....

You can test this by performing a soft reset - hold the power and volume down buttons together for about 20 secs. When you feel the phone buzz, let go and the phone will restart. If the time/date is out of sync, you know something is kaka. Just go into settings->time+date and correct as necessary.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that Windows Phone 8 uses the NITZ protocol to set the time. If your carrier doesn't support the protocol, you have to set the time/date manually.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that the random reset issue is the one you should be concentrating on.

Try a soft reset (hold power and volume down buttons until the phone buzzes, then let go). Monitor random reboots after that.

If it's still resetting itself, consider a factory reset (but be aware of backup/restore process).

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The only way the time resets itself is usually when the battery is disconnected.

So check the battery connection. there should be three pins connecting the battery. It is not uncommon that these pins are a bit loose, causing bad contact and disconnecting the battery.
Just slightly bend them inward (or outward depending on the positioning of the pins: 520 has them on top of the battery so bend inward).

IrishFamilyGuy

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Well we replaced 45 blackberry phones last month with Nokia 625 phones and we have had 10 users complaining so far, including myself. The phones are now fully updated with the Lumia Black update and it doesn't matter if you have the date and time on auto, or manual, it will still reset itself, even without powering the phone off. Mine goes back to 20th July 2013 at some time in the morning, it did it twice yesterday......

This is a either a hardware or software problem that Nokia need to sort out, its nothing to do with carrier or particular updates....

vaderag

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Well we replaced 45 blackberry phones last month with Nokia 625 phones and we have had 10 users complaining so far, including myself. The phones are now fully updated with the Lumia Black update and it doesn't matter if you have the date and time on auto, or manual, it will still reset itself, even without powering the phone off. Mine goes back to 20th July 2013 at some time in the morning, it did it twice yesterday......

This is a either a hardware or software problem that Nokia need to sort out, its nothing to do with carrier or particular updates....

While obviously not good, it's a relief to hear that it isnt just this phone...

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
The only way the time resets itself is usually when the battery is disconnected.

So check the battery connection. there should be three pins connecting the battery. It is not uncommon that these pins are a bit loose, causing bad contact and disconnecting the battery.
Just slightly bend them inward (or outward depending on the positioning of the pins: 520 has them on top of the battery so bend inward).

I agree. The only time the date+time on my phone has reset is after pulling the battery or after a soft reset. Some Lumia 520 users had a problem with random resets and their battery connection was the culprit. It might be worth looking into.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Have you at least checked if those pins may be a little too loose against the battery ?

Because it is a very COMMON issue, not only with L520 but other models aswel, and you should just test it yourself, send them all to Nokia for "repair", or keep guessing :wink:

Slightly bending the pins so they are a little tighter against the battery usually solves those random time resets (because the loose battery connection will cause random restarts, and when battery is disconnected the time ALWAYS resets to some odd past date).

Also try to set the "automatic" time setting to "OFF", as mentioned below.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...okia-lumia-520-turns-itself-off-all-time.html

The problem is due to loose battery. You can try putting a piece of paper to push the battery on the terminals . Also, its not necessary that if you didn't face the problem till now means its due to something else, my phone worked fine for 5months and then i got this problem. I fixed by putting paper,so you can try the same.

Bend one of the battery pins slightly and it should be fine.

Other related threads :

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-625/248738-regularly-losing-correct-date-time.html

Hi , the date and time settings on your phone are set to auto. Turn it off , then you won't face this problem.

Goto Settings >> date + time >> Set automatically = OFF.

Don't know whether that will help, but I do have mine always set to "OFF" and set it manually and never have issues like that...
I still suspect loose battery as the culprit.

AND this poster had the same issue aswel, and for him the above "OFF" setting seems to have helped !

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-520/234296-time-date-issue.html

Remove "set automatically" and do it manually.

Ahhh ok. Thanks for the info

OP, could you please test these 2 possible fixes and report whether they worked or not ?
It will help others having the same issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium