Considering trying out windows phone.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, over the last few days I've been considering trying out a windows phone instead of using my iPhone 5S, but had some questions and concerns:

The main reason I always liked windows phones when I flipped through then was the UI and how the interface looks. Not sure if this is unpopular opinion, but I like the visual look of metro UI a lot. It really pops. I also love how the Nokia phones feel.

But I have alot of hesitation. I know windows phone isn't the most popular OS and I remember a lot of complaints from users over the years. And I remember the app selection being terrible. But I don't know if this still holds true and would like to hear from users.

Also, this might sound weird, but do I have to be a xbox gamer to get the most out of a windows phone? Because I only own a ps4.

Also , is there a easy, affordable way to have a good WP experience? The phone would need to be unlocked too because in still paying off the iPhone.

untitled007

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 525 it has 1gb of ram, successor of the popular cheapest Lumia 520, app selection depends on the user, you can check windows for the appa that you usually have if its available, or if do have some alternative, regarding the os, it is about to recieve a huge update 8.1 in april :)

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So I went to the site and check the windows App Store to see if they have the same apps that I use on my iPhone. Honestly, I was rather disappointed.

First of all, no official google apps at all? Really? Not even YouTube. That rather rediculous.

No one password app, no Dropbox, no amazon mp3, no pocket :(

I really hope the app situation improves. Is there a reason it's do lacking? I also notice many complaining that apps never get updated.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So I went to the site and check the windows App Store to see if they have the same apps that I use on my iPhone. Honestly, I was rather disappointed.

First of all, no official google apps at all? Really? Not even YouTube. That rather rediculous.

I really hope the app situation improves. Is there a reason it's do lacking? I also notice many complaining that apps never get updated.

This is a good Pocket app. Pouch | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 525 it has 1gb of ram, successor of the popular cheapest Lumia 520, app selection depends on the user, you can check windows for the appa that you usually have if its available, or if do have some alternative, regarding the os, it is about to recieve a huge update 8.1 in april :)

It looks like the 525 isn't sold in the United States. What the next option?

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

You're getting caught up in the ecosystem wars! Google and Microsoft are stuck in an arm wrestle. Google apps aren't likely to come to the WP world until it perceives Windows Phone as a credible threat. Ironic, I know.

The ecosystem dynamic works for those who "stay in the fold." How hard would it be to change over to OneDrive from DropBox? You get 7GB free cf 2GB w DB.

Many of the apps popular on Android and iPhone haven't been ported to WP. But there are many clones which often outperform the apps that inspired them.

Office 365 is a robust competitor to Google apps.

My business and home environments are "all in" with Windows on phones, laptops, tablets and desktops. No regrets here.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the 525 isn't sold in the United States. What the next option?

The 520 has 512MB RAM. I've found that this is perfectly acceptable for me. It's mostly 3D games that demand more memory. So if you're big on high end first person shooters or something like that, you should be ok.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm just really nervous that if I take the jump and get a windows phone I'm gonna get burned. I mean , writers are already sounding the death bell on it. And I really don't want the platform to die in like 2 years or whatever.

I know that statement might sound like trolling , I'm really not. I want to give this phone a chance. But there seems to be a fair amount of risk doing so and dedicating a 2 year contract to.

lumianut

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You can get a Lumia 520 for $60 if you look around. That's a small investment to test the waters and see what you think. If you like, sell that iPhone and put it towards a higher end Nokia.

I'm just really nervous that if I take the jump and get a windows phone I'm gonna get burned. I mean , writers are already sounding the death bell on it. And I really don't want the platform to die in like 2 years or whatever.

I know that statement might sound like trolling , I'm really not. I want to give this phone a chance. But there seems to be a fair amount of risk doing so and dedicating a 2 year contract to.

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
You can get a Lumia 520 for $60 if you look around. That's a small investment to test the waters and see what you think. If you like, sell that iPhone and put it towards a higher end Nokia.

Yeah, that was my plan. But my fear comes from what happens a year from now. Or two years. I don't know if the app situation will improve. I don't know if micro sifts just going to scrap it , and etc.

I know the future is unknown and all, but I'm just talking about the discussion happening now and what that might indicate .

Slater_GS

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that was my plan. But my fear comes from what happens a year from now. Or two years. I don't know if the app situation will improve. I don't know if micro sifts just going to scrap it , and etc.

I know the future is unknown and all, but I'm just talking about the discussion happening now and what that might indicate .
There is no way Microsoft will be scrapping WP. They are in it for the long hall.
As far as whether you go with WP or not that is ultimately up to you and your willingness to adapt to a different ecosystem. There are great alternatives to most all of the popular apps. Plus WP is gaining popularity world wide so I would see the app situation improving. Slower than some may like, but it has definitely been improving.
I'd get a 520 for $50-$60 and just use it as an mp3 player/gps of sorts for awhile. Use the MS ecosystem along side the other for a bit and see how it goes.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
So, over the last few days I've been considering trying out a windows phone instead of using my iPhone 5S, but had some questions and concerns:

The main reason I always liked windows phones when I flipped through then was the UI and how the interface looks. Not sure if this is unpopular opinion, but I like the visual look of metro UI a lot. It really pops. I also love how the Nokia phones feel.

But I have alot of hesitation. I know windows phone isn't the most popular OS and I remember a lot of complaints from users over the years. And I remember the app selection being terrible. But I don't know if this still holds true and would like to hear from users.

Also, this might sound weird, but do I have to be a xbox gamer to get the most out of a windows phone? Because I only own a ps4.

Also , is there a easy, affordable way to have a good WP experience? The phone would need to be unlocked too because in still paying off the iPhone.

When I ditch the iPhone a few months ago I started with the NL521. But with in two weeks I bought the NL925 because I needed more features and storage. I am happy that I made the switch. The store is still lacking some apps but since I've been here many new apps have arrived at the Windows Store. WP is on the rise and many improvements are coming to this OS. Go to the Nokia website find the phone that is right for you and go for it,

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
When I ditch the iPhone a few months ago I started with the NL521. But with in two weeks I bought the NL925 because I needed more features and storage. I am happy that I made the switch. The store is still lacking some apps but since I've been here many new apps have arrived at the Windows Store. WP is on the rise and many improvements are coming to this OS. Go to the Nokia website find the phone that is right for you and go for it,

I'm still going to keep my iPad though, since I would want access to my ios stuff still.

Has the app situation really gotten better. I kinda hate the lack of official apps . Seems like a ton of third party versions.

The reason I was considering windows phone was that it obviously was the OS that best integrated with Microsoft services. I'm going to start using sky drive over drop box because they give you 7 gigs for free, and gmail started to annoy me so I'm going to switch to outlook. And xbox music looked cool, and it's best integrated with windows phone. And like I said, as far as interfaces go, I think the WP UI is the best looking and probably I gagging. But I've only used it in att store demo stations.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying about the app quality. I have the same concerns.

It all depends on what you need. I felt the same way at first a few moths back. But since making the switch most of my apps have come to WP. I am just waiting on TD Bank.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

1.WP is officially third behind android and iOS and is steadily catching up.
2. App selection- Yep, official apps are a eyesore on WP, but almost every major app has a competent 3rd Party app. In some cases, the third party app is better than the official one (even those on droid and iOS) eg. Rudy's 6apps. Moreover, the 8.1 update has universal app support. This should greatly improve the app selection. Google isn't exactly a best friend of Microsoft so their services may be missed but after switching to outlook and skydrive, I can't really complain, even though I used Google's services extensively before.
3.lol no the platform is not dying anytime soon. Microsoft is serious about WP as seen from their acquisition of Nokia and plans for threshold. Bloggers calling the deathbell on WP are either uninformed or biased.
4. Xbox. Yeah. WP makes life easier for Xbox people. Doesn't mean PS4 guys should stay away. xD
5. I'd recommend NL720 or 625 as a starter. The experience is 90% same as a NL1520 or ICON, for that matter. 52x series misses a lot of features and the 620 is small (3.7" to be exact)
In the end it all depends on you. WP users aren't the same as iOS and android users. I personally am NOT leaving WP anytime soon.

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm still going to keep my iPad though, since I would want access to my ios stuff still.

Has the app situation really gotten better. I kinda hate the lack of official apps . Seems like a ton of third party versions.

Aaaaand you really are afraid of third party apps, aren't you? xD
Lets face it. 3rd party apps are awesome.(on WP at least)
Get a lumia and compare the official insta or vine apps with 6tag and 6sec
Or snapchat on iOS and 6snap. The third party apps are better. Period.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs