Windows Phone App Updates/Notifications

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this thread has already been posted, but it's a question that I've had for a while.

Why is it that some apps updated every 30 minutes, for example, 6tag or 6snap, while other apps, such as twitter or facebook, update right as a notification comes in?

Why can we limit when emails are received or checked, but we can't do the same for apps?

I don't know anything about coding or developing so that's why I ask.

Thanks guys!

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Facebook sends push notifications which does not have any restrictions , another great example is WhatsApp, that 30 min restriction is to conserve battery life by Microsoft , actually at intervals live tiles get updated , bing news , 6tag , metrotube,etc. if they keep on updating within 5 mins , they will eat up your data plan and keep,running resulting in dramatic battery drain , of emails section , they are synced via servers via push or fetch method.
So 30 mins is the right time to update live tiles , lock screen apps :)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
they both are different os and have different API , they don't work on tile OS(windows phone ) , so all they have is push notification which goes into notification centre or shown as a badge icon (ios ) and for android same as ios but they have widgets that drains battery umm and does seem to slow down they device ,wp8.1 will bring many new API for devp. like audo and video editing api , screen recording api , etc we will soon see some nice video and photo editing apps by nokia & Microsoft or by developers ;)

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so, I have another question. I don't know if you know much about the Lumia 1020, but I have one. My battery goes down to 90% after 2 hours of sitting idle. I normally get about 10 hours of light usage and I have 6snap, Bing weather and sports, and WPcentral as background tasks. Screen is set to medium/auto. Everything except data is turned off. No glance screen on. 2 emails set to as arrive. Any idea why my battery life is so poor? I've had the same problem with the past 4 Lumia 1020's but my first one would go 3-4 hours on 100% battery and get 26-30 hours of battery life. That Lumia had more background tasks, glance always on, Bluetooth, WiFi all turned on. Any idea why that Lumia had amazing battery and now I have really bad battery life? NFC was off on all my phones too

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I too have this battery bug in my 920 , sometimes I don't even touch my phone it will drop to 1-2% in 8-9 hours , else 2% per hour in idle mode is normal for me , do you have Wi-Fi always on ? also this happens due to bad signal strength , our phone tends to search for signal continuously , when there is only 1 bar or 0 signal strength , it tries more harder LOL to search for signal resulting in massive battery drain , do look at this issue , I always have this problem (my colg sucks , sometimes I don't even get a network in labs)

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have 2-4 bars everywhere I go. I still get 5% or more battery drain an hour idle. When I use my phone it'll drop 2-5% in a matter of 10 minutes. It's really hard to get 8-10 hours of battery life a day.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have 2-4 bars everywhere I go. I still get 5% or more battery drain an hour idle. When I use my phone it'll drop 2-5% in a matter of 10 minutes. It's really hard to get 8-10 hours of battery life a day.

The same with me in.3G mode in my area.. But I get full bars on 2G and then it chews max 2 percent per hour idle.. Btw, 920 here..

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but that only works for a little while and then with in a day or two it goes back to doing the same thing. I just need to get 14-16 hours of battery life a day. The reason I got this phone was for the battery, but so far, my past Lumia's and this one are failing to reach that, even with settings set to minimal usage. I don't know if having 1-4 bars of 4G is what is draining it, but I have 3-5 bars of LTE everywhere I go. I'm assuming that it's the 4G that's killing it, but I have no way of testing it since AT&T doesn't let me turn off LTE or limit myself to only using 4G

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
oh one more thing that might be an orthodox for you , but I have 99% noticed that if I leave my phone unplugged , let me explain you what I meant to say , suppose if I plug my phone at 12:00 AM at night and unplug it in morning at 6:00 , it shows complete 100% but soon after 15-20 mins it goes to 97% so I again tested this today plugged my phone to charge today morning at 6:30AM and unplug it from the chord at 10:00 AM , didn't used my phone , touched my phone at 1:00PM and it was still 100% wifi,Bluetooth,nfc,3g all were ON with many background task enabled , sound weird but do try this method , don't let your phone battery get it overcharged , this tip was recommended by an apple guy at service centre when I used iPhone 4s and it always works , same applies for my iPad I don't let it overcharge(iPad take 8 hours to completely charge :p )

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So, instead of charging it at night, plug it in in the afternoon and once it hits 100% take it off the charger and let it sit over night? Or should I just plug it back in after like 15-20 minutes after taking it off the charger in the morning?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
don't let it overcharge ; let it completely charge for 4hours and unplug it , and one more tip , never let your battery reach 0% or completely drain your battery , this have a major impact on battery's life , always calibrate your battery once in a month by same drain it completely to 0% and let it charge till 100% , you will surely have a good battery life ;)
Lumia usually takes 2-3.5 hour to completely charge and show 100% but I keep to 30 min. more making it 4 hours before unplugging it.i usually sleep late at night (3am or so shh hahaha ) so I can plug it and remove it by 7AM and use it for full day on somewhat heavy-moderate usage ;i.e 2-3 hours of music via ear pods , 2 hours on Wi-Fi including whatsapp,internet explorer 5email accounts , 4 set to sync at an interval at 2 hour and Hotmail for as it arrives. nfc , Bluetooth and gps always on , oh I also use gps tracking application to track my walking distance for 30-40 mins , some casuall games like temple run 2 , Microsoft solitaire , asphalt 8 for 10-20 min and some nice videos at night time in internet explorer XD , its 11:00PM here and battery is sill at 47% will use it till it reaches 20%and will let it charge for 4 hours ;)
sorry for a long post , I am trying to help you out :)

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's awesome. I'll definitely charge it during the day rather than at night. I usually go to bed at midnight and wake up at 8. So I've been overcharging my phone quite a bit. I won't charge it tonight, I'll wait until tomorrow. After 5 hours of medium usage, I'm at 83% with only data and location on.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have ever since I got started with pda's and then smartphones always had a car charger a charger at the office and one or more at home. If my battery runs low during the day I can charge just about anywhere I am. Some days I am in my office working (I'm a lawyer) and some days I may be in court most of the day. I also keep a usb cable and charging plug in my briefcase.. I also now have a tablet (Dell V8P) so I may need to charge it as well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12