New to WP, need help with SMS

couchie82

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, First post. First-time WP owner. Just purchased the Lumia Icon today and love the phone and OS, but I have one major problem...

I work in IT and get SMS alerts from our monitoring services which I need to hear 24/7. So, I need to be woken up by these few contacts but not all others. I came from Android and was able to assign custom alert tones for SMS that come from any contact This included emails to SMS.

I am aware of the custom Text Tone feature for a contact, but the problem I have is that if you have an email address registered to a contact (ie Alerts@blabla.com) and you send an sms to the WP from that email address, it does not register it as a part of the contact with the custom text tone!

So my question is this...Is this a known bug? Is there another alternative that will allow me to get a custom notification for these email-to-SMS messages? If not that, is there a way to disable notifications at night unless they come from certain contacts? If I dont find a solution for this, then I will have to be woken up at night by all my drunk buddies text messages just to make sure that my work alerts wake me.

HALP!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, First post. First-time WP owner. Just purchased the Lumia Icon today and love the phone and OS, but I have one major problem...

I work in IT and get SMS alerts from our monitoring services which I need to hear 24/7. So, I need to be woken up by these few contacts but not all others. I came from Android and was able to assign custom alert tones for SMS that come from any contact This included emails to SMS.

I am aware of the custom Text Tone feature for a contact, but the problem I have is that if you have an email address registered to a contact (ie Alerts@blabla.com) and you send an sms to the WP from that email address, it does not register it as a part of the contact with the custom text tone!

So my question is this...Is this a known bug? Is there another alternative that will allow me to get a custom notification for these email-to-SMS messages? If not that, is there a way to disable notifications at night unless they come from certain contacts? If I dont find a solution for this, then I will have to be woken up at night by all my drunk buddies text messages just to make sure that my work alerts wake me.

HALP!
Welcome to WPCentral.

First, no, there is no way to mute some texts and not others. Apparently, what you need is coming in WP8.1, though I can't promise that it will work with emails, so the same problem you have now may exist then. Massive Windows Phone 8.1 feature-list gets detailed, including Quiet Hours, Office Lens and more | Windows Phone Central

Second, I don't have any drunk buddies, but if I did, and they texted me in the middle of the night, they'd be on the blocked list post haste. I don't need that kind of friends. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs