looking for alternative for whatsapp/Viber

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I want it to BE and DO
  • be available on WP8 and Android.
  • you open app you are seen "online" you close it you're "offline / or last see.." IMMEDIATELY, not after 5-10 min -- in other words exactly like on whatsapp
  • send/receive - photo, audio, and videos (videos not important but "Plus". I know many apps dont have access to them on WP, but at least receive them)
Only reason I need alternative is because when somebody saves my phone number on their phone they see I have whatsapp and start texting me, I dont like it, thus I DONT WHAT THEM TO SEE I HAVE THAT new APP. Skype, FB, Twitter.. all social's are not good. I prefer it to use my phone number as an account like Viber and Whatsapp does instead creating another account on some server

or

forget all above and if it's possible tell me how to set on android not to SHOW anybody that i have whatsapp, but I can still chat with contacts I chose to. I know I can block unwanted contacts, but thats not the solution

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
try out hike ;) After the fb deal I downloaded it and I like it! It has a beautiful design and it's nice to use! it also has a good support team (I suggested some features and they where very kind to me, instead whatsapp didn't answered my questions at all, they only send me standard copy paste answers)

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry Messenger is coming to Windows Phone soon(-ish). If I ever have to stop using WhatsApp, I would switch to BBM.

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
try out hike ;) After the fb deal I downloaded it and I like it! It has a beautiful design and it's nice to use! it also has a good support team (I suggested some features and they where very kind to me, instead whatsapp didn't answered my questions at all, they only send me standard copy paste answers)

Hike is beautiful but many of my friends told that they are not trust worthy. I enjoyed using it but friends stopped using it.
Wechat is one of the intelligent chat messenger. Trying taking screen snap of chat, it will automatically prompt to send it.
Along it that, timeline is awesome. Stickers are good. Very flexible but wechat again not trusted by many.
WhatsApp is simple and fast. People are addicted to simplicity and quickness.
Hope BBM can give this simplicity and quickness. I will dump WhatsApp.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hike is beautiful but many of my friends told that they are not trust worthy. I enjoyed using it but friends stopped using it.
Wechat is one of the intelligent chat messenger. Trying taking screen snap of chat, it will automatically prompt to send it.
Along it that, timeline is awesome. Stickers are good. Very flexible but wechat again not trusted by many.

Hehe I tried we chat , tried the shake feature , 99% Chinese or Japanese people were found.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hehe I tried we chat , tried the shake feature , 99% Chinese or Japanese people were found.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

Koreans too. I had sexting buddy on wechat when i had android. Due to reverse time zone, i could praise her photos on time and she broke off, lol. It was fun but gave me sleepless nights.

Julian_C

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

why does hike is not trust worthy? do you know a trust worthy alternative ?

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Telegram (www.telegram.org) is a messenger that allows secret chats with end-to-end encryption. It's officially available for Android and iOS but seeing as the client and API are open people can create unofficial apps for other platforms. There are already a bunch of them available on WP7.8 and WP8, I myself use Migram Beta.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Unless Skype finally implements offline messages and push notifications I am not interested. As it currently stands, Skype is horribly useless except for VOIP

Why would you need offline messaging when you can have an online presence in cloud? Isn't that much better? You can always be online, without draining your battery.

I would rather have all the statuses we have on the desktop, so when I don't want to get notifications, I just set my status to busy and block all messages and call notifications.

I have a feeling Skype will be much better than what it is today on WP8 - definitely with push notifications. Notifications and chat sync about 80% accurately right now across devices. However, WP8.1 version on April 2 will make this 100%. Along with that if they provide us file transfer, video and photo sharing as well as group video calls - we are golden.

I would also love to see ability to add, remove both Skype and messenger contacts using my WP8 instead of having to use my desktop for such stuff. I know we can add people and remove partially but for some reason unless you do it from desktop, the cloud pushes back old deleted contacts.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Why would you need offline messaging when you can have an online presence in cloud? Isn't that much better? You can always be online, without draining your battery.

I would rather have all the statuses we have on the desktop, so when I don't want to get notifications, I just set my status to busy and block all messages and call notifications.

I have a feeling Skype will be much better than what it is today on WP8 - definitely with push notifications. Notifications and chat sync about 80% accurately right now across devices. However, WP8.1 version on April 2 will make this 100%. Along with that if they provide us file transfer, video and photo sharing as well as group video calls - we are golden.

I would also love to see ability to add, remove both Skype and messenger contacts using my WP8 instead of having to use my desktop for such stuff. I know we can add people and remove partially but for some reason unless you do it from desktop, the cloud pushes back old deleted contacts.

as it currently stands, unless I have my skype app open and in the foreground, contacts can not send me messages. The same happens vice versa, If I send messages using skype and the contact is not running the app, messages wont get delivered. They will only get delivered when both are actually running the app at the same time.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
as it currently stands, unless I have my skype app open and in the foreground, contacts can not send me messages. The same happens vice versa, If I send messages using skype and the contact is not running the app, messages wont get delivered. They will only get delivered when both are actually running the app at the same time.

Assuming that notification is on for both messenger and Skype within the app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12