Surface Phone WP Flagship: "Corvette Strategy" Best Way To Increase WP Market Share in US

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Unlike the Nokia X strategy being used in other markets the US market (high end phone driven) needs a true eyebrow raising flagship that screams WP and offers enough incentive and product differentiation to bait over some more iOS and Android users. Enter the Microsoft Surface Phone: a true WP flagship with the same build material and styling as the tablets, MS can employ the expertise of Nokia and utilize some components while still branding the phone as a Surface phone. Along with certain services MS can really leverage their flagship in ways that Android and iOS simply cannot.

Features:
-5" inch 1080p AMOLED screen from Nokia Icon (1520 size is too much of a niche size).
-2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 and 64GB SSD internal storage (larger for product differentiation).
-Camera from Icon/1520
-Wireless Qi charging standard
Services (Where MS Can Really Make This Attractive)
-100 GB Free OneDrive storage (Or any quantity that establishes its flagship status)
-Full Microsoft Office suite from Windows RT ( when used with a stylus, bluetooth keyboard or text-to-speech MS could make the SP the premier ultraproductive and portable Office capable device.)
-Included 2year subscription of Skype and/or Xbox Live Gold with Purchase of Surface Phone with a 2 year contract.

Now remember this would be a flagship phone that's not priced to move hundreds of millions of units but to showcase the WP OS that's largely unnoticed by casual iOS and Android users. Like the Corvette is for Chevrolet, its not supposed to be for everyone it's ultimately about showcasing the company and brand's potential. Not every iOS/Android User would be able to afford to switch to one but it would create publicity and word-of-mouth marketing for the OS. People impressed by the Surface phone that can't afford one will want a close more affordable option ergo the Nokia Lumias. As excellent as these phones are they sadly get ignored or unnoticed by the casual mainstream smartphone consumer. All my iphone and Android using friends loved my Lumia 928 when I showed it to them and let them play around with it, and none of them had any idea what Windows Phone 8 was or even knew about WP in their VZW AT&T and T-Mobile stores (most guessed my phone was an Android variant). If you want people to buy more Malibus, Impalas and Camaros then you should make noise by impressing the public with your Corvette?if you will. (Not trying to say Icon,1520 and 1020 aren't high end Android rival phones, just that they lack substantial incentive and differentiation to get people to away from the Galaxy S5 display at the carrier store. A Surface flagship would get more people in the WP section of the store and allow the other WP devices to at least get a chance to make an impression on potential buyers less familiar with the 3rd largest OS.

PS: Anyone who has a smart remark for the Corvette analogy I ask to go read a few reviews for the 2014 model first to understand why it's an appropriate analogy.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surface Phone WP Flagship: "Corvette Strategy" Best Way To Increase WP Market Share in US

Just look at the Galaxy S5 or iPhone 5S.

There isn't actually anything really exciting about new phones at the moment. You can put a slightly better camera in, or more cores, more memory, make it waterproof, make it beautiful, make it cheap but will it actually stand out?

The Galaxy S5 might have better specs, but there's almost nothing to make you want to spend $100s on an upgrade.

If Microsoft need a strategy, then it needs to be something radical. An amazing form factor that nobody has thought of. Maybe a brilliant way of getting a physical keyboard onto a touchscreen phone, or maybe getting full windows 8 on a phone. Thats what Ubuntu phone is doing, so why not Windows.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Surface Phone WP Flagship: "Corvette Strategy" Best Way To Increase WP Market Share in US

Unlike the Nokia X strategy being used in other markets the US market (high end phone driven) needs a true eyebrow raising flagship that screams WP and offers enough incentive and product differentiation to bait over some more iOS and Android users. Enter the Microsoft Surface Phone: a true WP flagship with the same build material and styling as the tablets, MS can employ the expertise of Nokia and utilize some components while still branding the phone as a Surface phone. Along with certain services MS can really leverage their flagship in ways that Android and iOS simply cannot.

Features:
-5" inch 1080p AMOLED screen from Nokia Icon (1520 size is too much of a niche size).
-2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 and 64GB SSD internal storage (larger for product differentiation).
-Camera from Icon/1520
-100 GB Free OneDrive storage (Or any quantity that establishes its flagship status)
-Full Microsoft Office suite from Windows RT ( when used with a stylus, bluetooth keyboard or text-to-speech MS could make the SP the premier ultraproductive and portable Office capable device.)
-Included 2year subscription of Skype and/or Xbox Live Gold with Purchase of Surface Phone with a 2 year contract.

Now remember this would be a flagship phone that's not priced to move hundreds of millions of units but to showcase the WP OS that's largely unnoticed by casual iOS and Android users. Like the Corvette is for Chevrolet, its not supposed to be for everyone it's ultimately about showcasing the company and brand's potential. Not every iOS/Android User would be able to afford to switch to one but it would create publicity and word-of-mouth marketing for the OS. People impressed by the Surface phone that can't afford one will want a close more affordable option ergo the Nokia Lumias. As excellent as these phones are they sadly get ignored or unnoticed by the casual mainstream smartphone consumer. All my iphone and Android using friends loved my Lumia 928 when I showed it to them and let them play around with it, and none of them had any idea what Windows Phone 8 was or even knew about WP in their VZW AT&T and T-Mobile stores (most guessed my phone was an Android variant). If you want people to buy more Malibus, Impalas and Camaros then you should make noise by impressing the public with your Corvette?if you will. (Not trying to say Icon,1520 and 1020 aren't high end Android rival phones, just that they lack substantial incentive and differentiation to get people to away from the Galaxy S5 display at the carrier store. A Surface flagship would get more people in the WP section of the store and allow the other WP devices to at least get a chance to make an impression on potential buyers less familiar with the 3rd largest OS.

PS: Anyone who has a smart remark for the Corvette analogy I ask to go read a few reviews for the 2014 model first to understand why it's an appropriate analogy.

This would mean Lumia is second class of phones while Surface will be the first class. I don't really want to see Lumias inferior.. As Lumia sounds better than Surface..

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Lumia sounds like a light bulb or a contraceptive.

Differentiating smart phones is difficult these days. There's not a lot of point increasing the screen resolution. Faster processors and more RAM are fine, but high end smart phones are all now very fast and responsive. WP8.1 has "3D support", according to the last report I saw. Maybe Microsoft could make a 3D phone... it would be eye catching and different, although I'm not sure I would want one and it has been done before without much success.

As for full MS Office for a smart phone - WP already has the best office suite and it hasn't helped much. Not sure what benefit full Windows 8 would bring, either. An attractive new form factor would be good, but that's easier said than done. A lot of clever people have been designing smart phones for a decade or more, and coming up with something genuinely new will be hard.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

They should do that, but first they have to make the Surface brand stronger, another flop could kill the brand.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Features:
-Camera from Icon/1520

I think you'll find consumers would be even more confused by labeling it ' Microsoft Windows surface phone rt ' then they currently are with the available devices , from the same company labeled surface 2, surface rt, surface pro, surface pro 2, windows 8 and 8.1, etc

the corvette analogy is poor timing, most folks are only going to associate corvettes with falling in a hole , our being an old guy in a bowling shirt for another year or so.

wp HAS flagships. what will be different in a surface phone anyway ? define that, please

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Surely it should be sold as a Microsoft Windows Surface XphoneboX RT OneLumia Pro device? It would get the biggest sign in the shop...

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm expecting a Surface Phone somewhere down the line. I like Nokia phones, but they could use a cosmetic upgrade.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

I too want to see a Surface Phone. Like the OP said, there isn't truly a stunning windows phone. The Lumia line is nice but has gotten messy with its numbering system and the Surface design language on a phone would be beautiful. If Microsoft is labeling itself as a devices and services company, they have to make their own flagship Surface brand extend beyond just tablets.

vw1610

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site

I think we are past the point of spec wars. These phones can do everything we need it to do and more. They need to continue on the same path and make a 1520 with a smaller screen size. 5" would be a sweet spot. Continue with the camera tech and make the OS easier to use. Coming from an iPhone I can honestly say the back button is a piece of **** on WP devices. Why the hell would I want to go back to another app when all I want to do is go back one page in my browser. Its so effing annoying. They need to fix it.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

I would rather see an Xbox 7 inch tablet running Windows Phone 8.1 that also has personal media player sizes available. That will bring people to the OS and improve the app quantity. If people want a phone that does the things the things the "Xbox portable" does, the Lumias and other brands can fill the variety of wants and needs in that category.

Of course, this would require them stepping up their game on Xbox Live games for WP. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720