From Symbian Belle to Windows Phone 8: Chronicles of an user that could be happier

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
First of all, I want to say I'm not here to say Windows Phone 8 isn't a good OS.
If I thought so, I wouldn't have picked Lumia 1020 as my new device.

I learned about other mobile OSs before doing my choice, and Windows Phone was what I decided to choose from.

The OS is fast, stable, and.... well, I don't need to say what you all already know :)

Going straight to what matters: I'm coming from a Symbian device - the Nokia N8 - and there's some things I really miss from my old phone (Symbian Belle Refresh-based)
Below are some behaviours I didn't like in Windows Phone 8:

-Minimizing most apps causes them to stop their tasks:

33dvzv5.png

Facebook, from Microsoft Corporation

I.e. MS' Facebook app stops uploading, UC Browser and Nokia Xpress stop loading page when minimized, and so on.Internet Explorer seems to "pause".

The worrying here is Facebook is a Microsoft application, hence it could have the required permissions to do background tranfers easily.Or at least I think so.
This kind of behaviour is not cool for a multi tasking device...

-Short connection timeouts:
When using cellular data, most of time I use the phone in a EDGE network.I didn't have problems with my previous phone, but I noticed Lumia 1020 easily gives up downloading or uploading data.
Maybe it's a browser-related issue, as I was used to browse via Opera Mini, that was excellent when you are in place where there isn't a fast network available.
I noticed that problem when using UC Browser and Nokia Xpress, once I really need data compression depending where I am.

-No connection manager:

2h546pv.png

Symbian's Connection Manager

Not even third part.There's a lot of applications that measure connection speed, but not even one to display current transfer speed, duration of connection, etc.
Also, you can't "disconnect": You can only enable or disable data - either wireless or cellular - and by enabling, phone desperatelly tries to connect to the first connection it has available.
The concept in Symbian OS was a bit different:

When you enable a data connection, it doesn't mean phone will stay connected all the time.It connects and disconnects as needed.Also, the packet data connection in Windows Phone is very "vague".
When it's appearing, you don't know whether phone is connected, or just registered in the packet data connection...Also, if connection is cut, the indicator doesn't tell you.

In the screenshot above, the packet data indicator (right below "3G") show the phone is connected.If it was disconnected, but packet data was available, the indicator is displayed "dotted" (instead of fullfilled).

Those might be some small details, but I missed those things when starting to use my new device....

-Bluetooth can't have the visibility set.

-No manual IP configuration (for WIFI).

-Lack of alphanumeric + predictive text

20h36e0.jpg

Alphanumeric keyboard, with letters.But why?

This one is a strong point.At least for me.And probably only for me, as no one seems to be worried about this :D
The lack of alphanumeric + predictive text feature.In my Nokia N8, I could type very fast, but not so fast due to the lack of multitouch support for the keyboard.

I thought it would change in Windows Phone, as one of the first things I did to my new phone after having turned it on was checking for keyboard's multitouch support, so confirming it was supported.

But there's no alphanumeric keyboard as an option to type :(
The main benefits of that kind of keyboard is the large keys, that avoid typo.

I know, the standard Windows Phone QWERTY keyboard does a good job correcting and suggesting words - better than I could think - but IMO, it doesn't give you the same speed and "will" to type given by the alphanumeric + predictive text.
As you can see in the image above, the alphanumeric actually exists, but the letters seem to be there just for nothing...

Overall, I think the main problem of Windows Phone 8 is the lack of feedback to the user of what is happening to the phone.

If anyone has an idea or app suggestion to serve as a workaround for the issues I've mentioned, please post here.

I may post more things as I find them - or not - out

Best regards

Last edited:

Bryan Sayas

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I too came from symbian, i previously owned a Nokia C7, but the thing is you're comparing two different OS's. It's like you're comparing an apple to a watermelon; they're completely different.

Anyway, about the background tasks/multitasking, WP8 isn't good at that area I'll say you that but the data connection, I think it has got to do with your network. Also WP8 has a connection manager. Just select the wifi you're connected to and change the IP address there; and if you don't want to automatically connect to a wireless connection, you may go to the Advanced section and un-check the "Automatically connect to WiFi hotspots".

Hold on to your NL 1020, WP8.1 is just around the corner and I'm sure it would make your experience with windows phones better. Give WP8 some time and you'll get used to it.

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I too came from symbian, i previously owned a Nokia C7, but the thing is you're comparing two different OS's. It's like you're comparing an apple to a watermelon; they're completely different.

They are, but for a OS, somethings must be in common :)

Also WP8 has a connection manager. Just select the wifi you're connected to and change the IP address there;
I meant some place where you could see connection's details, like duration, current speed, etc...

Just select the wifi you're connected to and change the IP address there
I can only edit the proxy address in my phone....

...and if you don't want to automatically connect to a wireless connection, you may go to the Advanced section and un-check the "Automatically connect to WiFi hotspots"...
It's already set this way, but as soon as I turn WiFi on, phone connects to an available WiFi...

Hold on to your NL 1020, WP8.1 is just around the corner and I'm sure it would make your experience with windows phones better. Give WP8 some time and you'll get used to it.

I just added one more point: the lack of alphanumeric keyboard + predictive text

Sure, I'm waiting for 8.1!

Best regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05