Hotmail / outlook.com not syncing with phone / PC Outlook

Ed Bradburn

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Have recently noticed problems with syncing between desktop Outlook (Live email account) and Outlook.com for calendar entries.

The behavior is entirely erratic and I have not been able to duplicate things yet.

As one example, I recently created four entries for tomorrow, and then pressed Send/Receive.

Results on Hotmail:

• Three entries all correctly shown for tomorrow morning.
  • Last entry is not shown at all.

I then move one of the first three to a later time (half-hour later) and again update by pressing Send/Receive.

Results on Hotmail:

• No change, entry stays where it originally was scheduled.

I now go to my phone and reschedule the last entry to the afternoon (completely new time).

Results on my Hotmail:

• Entry changes fine.

Results on my PC:
  • No change.

I then add a new entry on Hotmail.com and save it.

• Results on phone:

Results on PC:

• Nothing, no entry.

If this carries on, I will obviously be forced to ditch phone and/or Outlook, since my calendar entries are the lifeblood of my business.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Could it be an antivirus software issue?

Cheers,

Ed

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Is this the same account on the phone and on desktop Outlook?
Just a little confusing. Outlook.com, hotmail.com, live.com are all the same.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah OP, your post is very confusing...in order to make heads or tails out of it we need more specific information :

1. Specify the actual account that is having the issue (@outlook, @live or @hotmail), and is it your true "Live" account on your phone ?
Also, how many MS accounts do you sync ? I have three, of which only ONE is setup as my Live account and setup to sync calendar and tasks.
The other two are setup as Hotmail accounts on the phone and only sync mails.
I only want to be sure we are talking about your Live account (your main MS account on your phone).

2. On the PC, which program do you use for your syncing that account (MS outlook, Exchange or the webpage Outlook.com) ?

To prevent confusion when you explain your issue, pls understand that "hotmail", "live", and "outlook" are all the same type of accounts on a pc (they can all be used through outlook.com and MS outlook/Exchange), and you should in the first place only use www.outlook.com for logging into the account regardless of the prefix...BUT on the phone they can be setup in two different ways : either as main Live account, or as a Hotmail account.

accounts.PNG

In above example, the Live account is the main MS account that is linked to MS store, xbox account, etc...
In my case the Hotmail account is an additional hotmail account used for mail only.

Both Live or Hotmail accounts can be either @live, @outlook or @hotmail in order to work.

My live account syncs everything (mail/calendar/tasks), my hotmail account only syncs mail.

So to get you started, pls follow these steps to begin with, just to make sure everything is setup correctly so that we can firstly correctly understand what you are trying to explain, and we can efficiently troubleshoot your issue :

1. If you use MS outlook, if possible use 2013 version. It is faster and much more effecient regarding outlook sync.

2. Make sure that your outlook/live/hotmail account is added through the outlook ActiveSync option
(in MS outlook: File->Account Settings->Add new account...->Manually configure->Outlook ActiveSync)

3. After activesync setup, make sure you have the correct calendar checked
(in MS outlook: below button "Calendar", and ONLY check your Live calendar !)
Uncheck all others while testing.

4. Make sure that the account is correctly setup on your phone aswel. If it is your main Ms account, set it up as "Live" account and check the mail sync box (it will sync EVERYTHING including calendar/tasks, but for Live account, you only have the option to disable mail sync !!). If it is a secondary hotmail account, then set it up as hotmail account, and check sync box for mail, calendar and tasks.
Server url I strongly advise to just use "m.hotmail.com"...it will automatically find the right server for your account to connect to.

5. First check if it syncs correctly from phone to pc : on the phone calendar, create some test tasks and appointments, and see if they show up in MS outlook after a while...

6. When one direction confirmed working, then test the other direction (from pc to phone)...

Report back to us with your results.

MiscUser

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi ED,

The reason people are not able to sync with Hotmail via Outlook is because Microsoft has shut down syncing operations with PC's using Windows XP.

They are dong it to force people to buy a newer version of Microsoft Windows.

In the case of people having a PC that is to old to use a newer version of Microsoft Windows, which is almost all of the PC's that came with XP, those people will have to buy a new computer.

I heard Microsoft is getting a kickback of $$$$$$$$$$ for forcing people to buy new computers..... (This part is just a rumor so far)

I think it's about time someone get an attorney and start a "Class Action Lawsuit", that attorney would make in the millions of $$$$$$$$.

I use Desktop PC's and Laptops that have Vista and XP.

My PCs and Laptops that have XP work perfectly and I am not throwing them away because of Microsoft's ignorance....

Cheers,

Travis

MiscUser

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Have recently noticed problems with syncing between desktop Outlook (Live email account) and Outlook.com for calendar entries.

The behavior is entirely erratic and I have not been able to duplicate things yet.

As one example, I recently created four entries for tomorrow, and then pressed Send/Receive.

Results on Hotmail:

• Three entries all correctly shown for tomorrow morning.
  • Last entry is not shown at all.

I then move one of the first three to a later time (half-hour later) and again update by pressing Send/Receive.

Results on Hotmail:

• No change, entry stays where it originally was scheduled.

I now go to my phone and reschedule the last entry to the afternoon (completely new time).

Results on my Hotmail:

• Entry changes fine.

Results on my PC:
  • No change.

I then add a new entry on Hotmail.com and save it.

• Results on phone:

Results on PC:

• Nothing, no entry.

If this carries on, I will obviously be forced to ditch phone and/or Outlook, since my calendar entries are the lifeblood of my business.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Could it be an antivirus software issue?

Cheers,

Ed

Hi ED,

The reason people are not able to sync with Hotmail via Outlook is because Microsoft has shut down syncing operations with PC's using Windows XP.

In the case of people having a PC that is to old to use a newer version of Microsoft Windows, which is almost all of the PC's that came with XP, those people will have to buy a new computer.

I heard Microsoft is getting a kickback of $$$$$$$$$$ for forcing people to buy new computers..... (This part is just a rumor so far)

I think it's about time someone get an attorney and start a "Class Action Lawsuit", that attorney would make in the millions of $$$$$$$$.

My PCs and Laptops that have XP work perfectly and I am not throwing them away because of Microsoft's ignorance....

Cheers,

Travis

MiscUser

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Is this the same account on the phone and on desktop Outlook?
Just a little confusing. Outlook.com, hotmail.com, live.com are all the same.

Hi T Moore,

Cheers,

Travis

Mike Peters3

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Similar problem. I have an HTC Windows 8 phone that was just updated with 8.1 recently. I have it synced with Outlook 2007 on my pc running Windows 7 Home Premium. Prior to the upgrade I could enter an appointment on pc or phone & they would sync. NOW it only syncs From pc to phone but Not phone to pc. Ideas? Thanks!

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Check how your PC is set up. In the account settings of Outlook how is it connecting (IMAP, Exchange or POP/SMTP)? Also, how are you "syncing" your phone to your PC?

The simplest, most reliable setup method is to have the phone sync with the email server. And have Outlook on the PC sync with the email server. Don't use anything to sync between PC and phone. Think of it as a V shape with the email server at the point, the phone at one end and the PC at the other.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Similar problem. I have an HTC Windows 8 phone that was just updated with 8.1 recently. I have it synced with Outlook 2007 on my pc running Windows 7 Home Premium. Prior to the upgrade I could enter an appointment on pc or phone & they would sync. NOW it only syncs From pc to phone but Not phone to pc. Ideas? Thanks!

Do you have the Outlook Connecter installed? You'll need it for Outlook 2007. https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...68b-88c8-60aebbd42d94&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Kris Hempel

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing the same behavior. I am using Outlook 2013 on Windows 8.1. If I create multiple calendar appointments in Outlook 2013, some of them will sync to outlook.com and some will not. It is very inconsistent. If an item does not sync, I have to delete it, recreate it in Outlook, and verify until it does sync correctly. The other option is to create everything directly in outlook.com. Those appointments always sync correctly back to outlook and to my phone. The problem is I find that interface much slower to work in than Outlook directly on my desktop.

eocula

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem with syncing agenda's:

It works :
- From my wp8.1 to Outlook 2010 (on my laptop)
- From the outlook.com (webinterface) to my wp8.1

It does not work :
- when I create an agenda-entry on my outlook 2010 on my laptop. It does not sync to my wp8.1

PS : when I create the agenda-entry through outlook 201 on my laptop, and I invite myself (so my hotmail-email-address, which is the primary mail used on my wp8.1), then I receive the invite on my wp8.1 and it shows-up in my wp8.1 agenda.

Very annoying

Rahul Kadu

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Guys

You all are doing it wrong !. Open hotmail on PC and go to Settings --> Connect devices and apps with POP -->Enable POP

and abraca dabra..your hotmail will sync on your device !!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3